Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-26-2015, 04:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
You're simply wrong Further, you can't leave your ground blind set up for more than 14days either.

You have a ton of people telling you you're wrong. The law is common knowledge. We both know you have googled this and youknow your wrong. The onus now is to provide proof you are right.
See, I am right. Everyone was Saying it based off hearsay and no actual written law.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCse7en View Post
No...You should just go...no need to talk, just leave.
No I wouldn't just go, hunters need to learn to work with each other. Little gets resolved by one person dictating what happens...

Let me guess your from out east? And you've been told to leave an area by a hunter before????

I've ran into people in the woods, had a chat, they realized I've hunted here for years. We had a normal good chat, I give him tips on other areas to hunt.... Later that morning I drove by the area I told him about.... He was there loading up an elk with his son........... He thanked me and I thanked him for respecting my wishes....

I could just imagine the attitude you would have if some one asked you to move on...
Old 08-26-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerguy View Post
Legally he is correct, Ethically he is not.

You put a stand up and he gets there first, You have no claim to the stand or the spot. Its bizarre.

Its the way of the bush....the way of the bush.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
No I wouldn't just go, hunters need to learn to work with each other. Little gets resolved by one person dictating what happens...

Let me guess your from out east? And you've been told to leave an area by a hunter before????

I've ran into people in the woods, had a chat, they realized I've hunted here for years. We had a normal good chat, I give him tips on other areas to hunt.... Later that morning I drove by the area I told him about.... He was there loading up an elk with his son........... He thanked me and I thanked him for respecting my wishes....

I could just imagine the attitude you would have if some one asked you to move on...

Nope, nope....

I am from alberta. I am not any more entitled to a spot than the next person, which is why I wouldn't ever ask someone to leave crown land, it isn't mine....Like I said before, hunting in a spot for a long time doesn't entitle anybody to anything....If I get to the spot first, you shouldn't bother me....If you get to the spot first, I would not bother you....
Old 08-26-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
On what grounds? I am walking to my tree stand. What esrd officer will charge me for obstructing a hunt while on my way to or in my stand?
you can not prove that it is your stand
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 08-26-2015, 05:03 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm360 View Post
you can not prove that it is your stand
Not yet but once this chain saw cuts down the tree with the hunter In it we all can have a closer look to verify if it is or not my stand...

Actually I got a few stands up on land and let people use them, even the land owner, I know I am a nice guy

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-26-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
There is no law pertaining to Tree stand longevity, You can leave it up for as long as you want with no penalty.

However, If you leave a stand in the bush then return and find someone in it, you CAN NOT ask them to leave, It is legally interrupting a hunt.

Seems I was legally wrong on the latter part.
This is interesting. I also phoned the ESRD and they said it was illegal to erect a permanent structure of any type on Crown Land. I have resubmitted my question via email because I would like it in writing! However, from what I was told the purpose of the structure does not matter, only its design.

That being said, I really hope you are right Deerguy, it has been a long time since I built a tree fort... errr I mean an elevated box blind that I can use for weekend scouting trips all year round.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I've ran into people in the woods, had a chat, they realized I've hunted here for years. We had a normal good chat, I give him tips on other areas to hunt..
So why should the other people be the ones that have to hunt elsewhere? Hunters aren't unionized, and seniority in the area doesn't mean anything.

Quote:
However, If you leave a stand in the bush then return and find someone in it, you CAN NOT ask them to leave, It is legally interrupting a hunt.

Seems I was legally wrong on the latter part.
Exactly why I brought the topic into this thread.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:59 PM
Banned

Quote:

I am born and raised in Alberta. You have no right to ask or even expect someone to move on from an area simply because you've "hunted there for years." Where did you get this attitude of entitlement?

You're brand of ethics is nothing more than self centered and you do not represent the typical Albertan in my mind so why don't you stop asking everyone where they are from and stop thinking you have ANY more right to public land than anyone else.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:56 PM

I have an awesome 2 man ladder stand up on crown land in a great spot. I went to great lengths to put it in the right spot. A combination of a great funnel, as well as a spot that it's likely no other hunter will ever lay eyes on it.

that having been said, if it's stolen, ....that's on me...that's the risk I take.
Equally, if one morning I trek into it and I find someone sitting in it, too bad for me. I'll certainly stop for a visit before I turn back, but if the other hunter chooses to stay there for whatever reason....too bad for me, it's PUBLIC land. first come first serve.
I won't threaten him with any passive aggressive internet pseudo violence, nor will I get a chain saw and cut the tree down. I'll wish him luck, and hope that when I return to the stand another day, that he didn't leave me a present on the seat, lol.

It's public land....I hold no delusions that hanging a stand, no matter how many days before the season started, stakes my claim to that spot.

I'm sure there's a guy somewhere that hunted that spot long before me. I hope he's not gonna show up one day and tell me to get out of "his" spot. If he does, and I end up staying, it won't be because I hung a piece of hardware on a tree.

Now...I think I'm gonna go for a nice evening walk on the banks of the NSR and stick a bunch of rod holders in the banks....just so that part of the shore is free if I ever want to fish there.

Cheers guys, have a great season, and don't forget to wear a mouth guard and brass knuckles if your hunting public land this year.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
I have an awesome 2 man ladder stand up on crown land in a great spot. I went to great lengths to put it in the right spot. A combination of a great funnel, as well as a spot that it's likely no other hunter will ever lay eyes on it.

that having been said, if it's stolen, ....that's on me...that's the risk I take.
Equally, if one morning I trek into it and I find someone sitting in it, too bad for me. I'll certainly stop for a visit before I turn back, but if the other hunter chooses to stay there for whatever reason....too bad for me, it's PUBLIC land. first come first serve.
I won't threaten him with any passive aggressive internet pseudo violence, nor will I get a chain saw and cut the tree down. I'll wish him luck, and hope that when I return to the stand another day, that he didn't leave me a present on the seat, lol.
It's public land....I hold no delusions that hanging a stand, no matter how many days before the season started, stakes my claim to that spot.

I'm sure there's a guy somewhere that hunted that spot long before me. I hope he's not gonna show up one day and tell me to get out of "his" spot. If he does, and I end up staying, it won't be because I hung a piece of hardware on a tree.

Now...I think I'm gonna go for a nice evening walk on the banks of the NSR and stick a bunch of rod holders in the banks....just so that part of the shore is free if I ever want to fish there.

Cheers guys, have a great season, and don't forget to wear a mouth guard and brass knuckles if your hunting public land this year.
Great post, I respect and share your views. Gave me a chuckle with the rod holder piece
Old 08-26-2015, 09:13 PM
Banned

Default fire

Fire.

I have forgotten post number one.

At one time I was afraid of heights not any more.

Some information has been presented.

It is unfortunate that understanding has not.

Respect.!?!?

For the past three years I have walked past a permeate stand, it wasn’t what I desired.

In the past three years I have not seen anyone but if I happen to meet, I will balance.

To qualify the last line I do not bow hunt.

If you have a trail cam please publish, but not my back side.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:44 PM
Banned

Default fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrunner View Post
How many of you ethical hunters would put up a portable tree stand 30 yrds from another portable stand that you know is being used every bow season and has been there for say 10 yrs or so? On public land!
Personally if i see a tree stand stand set up somewhere, i would not even consider putting a stand up there. But i am old school i guess
sorry.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCse7en View Post
Its the way of the bush...the way of the bush
So I've got to ask, since you know the way of the bush, what would you do in the case of a bear bait?
Store bought stand. Legal bait site. Obviously being baited. No one in the stand. Crown land.
You're hunting bears.

Do you hop in the stand?
If the owner of the site comes along to hunt, do you expect him to leave you alone until you're done using his stuff?
Old 08-26-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
excuse my ignorance, but I was fairly sure that leaving a permanent built structure on crown land was in fact illegal.

I talked with a local SRD guy about a really nice huge treefort type stand that was completed on crown land that I usually hunt. He said it was in fact illegal, but that srd wouldn't spend the time required to take it down.

Its still up there.... really nice setup. I leave it alone.

was the srd guy wrong?
Burntimber by chance? I know of a 3 story one out that way..
Old 08-26-2015, 11:05 PM
Banned

There's a 3 story stand out by burnt timber???
Old 08-27-2015, 12:48 AM

Default Nope

Since I've found that one (north west of Coleman)... I've found one big green tree fort by the microwave tower west of Coleman... That one has plexiglass on the front to cut the wind down....

There's the big one that got exposed in 2007 when Atlas clear cut a bunch of stuff.... And left this one tree fort still standing.... Pretty funny.

My biggest fear when hunting these areas is that whoever is in these stands might line me up in their crosshairs.

Kinda paranoid about stuff like that.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 08-27-2015, 01:11 AM

Leave crown land because someone hunted that area in the past? Lol....probably the same type that discourages youths from taking up hunting because he figures it's to crowded out there now....Amirite?
Old 08-27-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
So I've got to ask, since you know the way of the bush, what would you do in the case of a bear bait?
Store bought stand. Legal bait site. Obviously being baited. No one in the stand. Crown land.
You're hunting bears.

Do you hop in the stand?
If the owner of the site comes along to hunt, do you expect him to leave you alone until you're done using his stuff?
Me personally, I do not hunt bears so I would not go in there. Bear bait sites have to be clearly marked at all access points. I would expect that if someone came upon a site, and there were no trucks at the marked access points, then I would also expect that they could go and use the site....Unless of course there are different rules for bait sites, aside from the signage requirement, I really don't know anything about bear baiting, I have never done it.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:34 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

This whole thread is like a ramp up for UFC, makes me have a laugh which is a good thing so thanks guys and gals.

Have a great safe season in the woods.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-27-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
You're hunting bears.

Do you hop in the stand?
I would never hunt over someone else's bait on crown land. The bait site has to be identified as to whose it is, so it's not like there is any question as to who is doing the baiting. To me, that is an entirely different situation than a tree stand left on crown land.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post

That' a very nice attitude. I suspect you never have any problems with other hunters when afield.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargineyesore View Post
I am born and raised in Alberta. You have no right to ask or even expect someone to move on from an area simply because you've "hunted there for years." Where did you get this attitude of entitlement?

You're brand of ethics is nothing more than self centered and you do not represent the typical Albertan in my mind so why don't you stop asking everyone where they are from and stop thinking you have ANY more right to public land than anyone else.
I would never ask or expect anyone to move on....

I wouldn't go into an area if I knew someone was in there...

I'm very very far from self centred...

Seems people are confused by what I mean... You'll figure it out if you keep thinking...
Old 08-27-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:

Seems people are confused by what I mean... You'll figure it out if you keep thinking...
Are you suggesting that someone else was posting on your account?

Quote:
You'll be leaving the seat within minutes of my arrival
Quote:
Yes, it's easy. I show up and say get out, you do. Or you say "no", then I start to disassemble the treestand. Pretty simple
Quote:
On what grounds? I walked to my stand and asked you to leave. You have no case. If I showed up and starting banging drums or honking my horn then you would have an argument

Last edited by elkhunter11; 08-27-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:39 AM
Banned

Quote:

If people are confused by what you mean, then it's up to you to express yourself better, not up to me to try to figure it out. I know what I read and I can read and your post insinuated that you had more right to be there because you'd hunted there for years. I'm not the only one that got that out of your post.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Are you suggesting that someone else was posting on your account?
Those were my posts not his.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Those were my posts not his.
My apologies to Albertadeer. for confusing his username with yours .

Last edited by elkhunter11; 08-27-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Holy, your a real gem.

Hunting territory rights are a real thing and should be respected. Crown land or not. It's unwritten rules of hunting and ethics of the bush, same goes with berry picking, fishing holes, and many other things.

What province are you from, obviously not Alberta, we respect people and heritages here....
To be fair he did say this which is pretty much the same thing only he included fishing spots and berry patches as well so you werent too far wrong elk.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
My apologies to Albertadeer. for confusing his username with yours . He deserves much better than that.
Gee thanks

All in all I'm not going to "ask someone to leave an area" that's ignorant... But I enjoy chatting with others, Im not pushy or confrontational.

It's not that I feel intitled to hunt certain areas. I feel others should be respectful as I would ventureing into unknown area. But none of this is any sweat off my brow. Ive never gave anyone trouble "on crown land" but I have been givin trouble.

A treestand is kind of a different monster. If I find one on crown land.. I will sit in it. If the owner comes along I will leave ( depending on many things) his reaction and atittude play an important roll.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthShore View Post
To be fair he did say this which is pretty much the same thing only he included fishing spots and berry patches as well so you werent too far wrong elk.
But I would never tell someone to leave. It's they're own ethics that should dictate that.