Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-12-2015, 06:09 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I came into a spot I use regularly ( fir the last 30 years!)
And as I entered the small group of spruces I hide in I heard a voice
" Hey!! We 're hunting here!)
Another hunter and his friend step out and say " didn't 't you see my truck?"
"Yeah I did, along with two others , I naturally thought everyone walked up the trail! That's okay, i''ll see ya later"
I was going to suggest that I walk up then try to push something out into the meadow from the surrounding bush( this place is huge!)
But figured with his attitude , screw 'em there are lots of places I can go.
That spot BTW is about 200 yards from a popular staging area for Quads and sleds!
An hour later I had s nice old mature whitetail down .
Cat
Some people version of hunting is like the internet, they want it as easily as possible and screw everyone along the way, had similar situations and did the same, smiled, wished them good luck and walked on. I like quiet and see the animals before they see me.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-12-2015, 06:31 AM

Sometimes it doesnt need to be a problem, sometimes it takes only a minimal effort to turn a negative into a positive. Just last year I had set up a hub style ground blind on a fields edge on crown land. hunted it almost every weekend from September through to the end of November.
The ONE weekend I didnt show up, another hunter sets up a treestand 50 yards away...
At first I was a bit upset, but I chalked it up to the fact that he maybe didnt see my blind. I left him a kind note on his stand and asked him to contact me so we could work things out. 2 days later he called, confirmed my belief that he had no knowledge of my blind and we worked out an agreement on when we'd each hunt that location.
Additionally, we each offered the use of the others stand/blind when the other wasnt around, in case I wanted a change of scenerie and in case he wanted a warmer location inside my heated blind. It was a win win. No ugly confrontation and we both bagged our deer.

Getting back on track though, I would never had used his stand if I didnt have prior consent, especially if it was freshly built. An old stand that no ones used in a while, yeah I'd try it. And I'm also in the same mindset that if someone comes up and tells me that it's their buit stand, I'd happily move on.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:40 AM

Default Stands

In the area we have been hunting for years. A local outfitter who has approx. 150 allocations puts up 100's of portable, 4 legged tower blinds on every good looking pipeline or cutline in the entire area. My brother and I have been hunting that same area for a very long time and now it seems we can't hunt any of the usual spots are any new one's for that matter as the outfitter puts up his stands and claims the spots. I worked for this outfitter for one season so I know his mentality and some of those stand locations are in those spots because I put stands there in the past. It's a tough situation because he has as much right as me to put them there but frustrating that he thinks he owns all the rights to the whole area. When I see a stand in a spot I intended to hunt that day I will approach cautiously for safety reasons and see if there is someone hunting in them. If they are then I stay clear and of course I am a little upset, If there is no one there I try to hunt there in my own stand or ground blind. But unfortunately he does not have the same courtesy. If he sees you or someone else there he will try to run you out of the country and it get's very confrontational. I have no respect for him or his operation!
Old 08-12-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhunter8 View Post
In the area we have been hunting for years. A local outfitter who has approx. 150 allocations puts up 100's of portable, 4 legged tower blinds on every good looking pipeline or cutline in the entire area. My brother and I have been hunting that same area for a very long time and now it seems we can't hunt any of the usual spots are any new one's for that matter as the outfitter puts up his stands and claims the spots. I worked for this outfitter for one season so I know his mentality and some of those stand locations are in those spots because I put stands there in the past. It's a tough situation because he has as much right as me to put them there but frustrating that he thinks he owns all the rights to the whole area. When I see a stand in a spot I intended to hunt that day I will approach cautiously for safety reasons and see if there is someone hunting in them. If they are then I stay clear and of course I am a little upset, If there is no one there I try to hunt there in my own stand or ground blind. But unfortunately he does not have the same courtesy. If he sees you or someone else there he will try to run you out of the country and it get's very confrontational. I have no respect for him or his operation!
I'd be calling forestry. The 7 day limit has to apply to him too.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:23 PM

Public land. The problem with so called permanent stands is that they are often left in place for years. I will not agree that a permanent stand means that the location is permanently taken. That is wrong. I'll hunt that location whenever I want and won't be forced to move. The only time I will leave the area is if the stand is being used. Everyone should understand this. Permanent stands do not entitle a person to claim the land........permanently. Only when in their stand, should they have any expectation of being left alone to hunt that location. Otherwise all you would have to do is build a permanent stand and the location is now exclusively yours? NOT!
Old 08-12-2015, 11:43 PM

Depends on the stand. If it is a store bought stand that they obviously set up for the season and will be taking it down afterwards I would leave it alone. If it is a tree stand made of lumber and permanently mounted to the tree and it doesn't look like it was used recently then it is fair game in my opinion.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
What are your feelings on tree stand ethics [permanent stands only]....when you find a man made tree stand in a very good spot would you use it? Are these stands the personal property of the builder or are they free to use on a first come, first serve basis??

I am only going to respond to post number one.

I will move on.

As far as I know nothing is permanent.

Keep posting.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:34 AM
Banned

Seems like a fair bit of ignorant people on here. You should find a new area if you come across a permie, how is this even debatable? It called respect and ethics.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:55 AM

Hunting is first come first serve if some one is there first then you leave. If I am there first it's my hunt in that spot for the day. Since I'm there first I would hunt in the stand cause you should be left alone. If some one builds a permanent stand it belongs to the forest. It certainly isn't a marker for life if that spot by the stand builder.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:02 AM
Banned

I was walking down an old abandoned logging road a few years ago. As I came up a hill I noticed a newly built wooden tree stand right off the side of the road. It was actually one of the nicest tree stands I have ever seen, and I have seen many.

It was about 8 in the morning so obviously nobody was hunting in it that morning, so I climbed up the tree and did a cow in heat bawling call sequence.

To my complete surprise, within a couple of minutes a nice 2 and 1/2 year old bull came running up the hill crashing though the trees all the way and popped out of the treeline about 150 yards away directly in front of the tree stand.

He sure did taste good!
Old 08-13-2015, 08:41 AM

If you don't want someone sitting in your stand or blind on public land you should take it home with you.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerguy View Post
Seems like a fair bit of ignorant people on here. You should find a new area if you come across a permie, how is this even debatable? It called respect and ethics.
I would not hunt out of someone else's stand. That said putting up a stand does not give you owner ship of the land.

Would you be okay if I popped up a stand where you hunt often. Of course you could not hunt there any more out of respect, right?
Old 08-13-2015, 03:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbotman View Post
I would not hunt out of someone else's stand. That said putting up a stand does not give you owner ship of the land.

Would you be okay if I popped up a stand where you hunt often. Of course you could not hunt there any more out of respect, right?
No I wouldn be ok with it, yes i would move, it's the respectful thing to do.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:24 PM

I sat in one of Lloyd McMahon's one morning just because.
Had some fun with his butt head guide that showed up.
Should of crapped on the seat.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:36 PM

Default Stands

I've never hunted out of another guys stand but it gets me thinking. If you put up a cabin in the forest does the spot become yours? Of course not because it's illegal, putting up permanent stands isn't exactly legal either. If you find one and it's not being used maybe it should be torn down and burnt .

Seriously, no one can make a claim on a spot on crown land simply by building a structure.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Seems like a fair bit of ignorant people on here. You should find a new area if you come across a illegally installed permie, how is this even debatable? It called respect and ethics.
Fixed it for ya.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
If that's the case people will be putting up stands all over the place to claim that hunting area. Kind of like the guys posting crown land with no trespassing/no hunting signs. Not hunting an area because of a tree stand set up doesn't make sense to me, if it's crown land it's fair game whether or not there's a stand. There's nothing ignorant about that. If another hunter is active in the area that's a different story and leaving the area alone is the respectful thing to do...
Old 08-14-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird View Post
If that's the case people will be putting up stands all over the place to claim that hunting area. Kind of like the guys posting crown land with no trespassing/no hunting signs. Not hunting an area because of a tree stand set up doesn't make sense to me, if it's crown land it's fair game whether or not there's a stand. There's nothing ignorant about that. If another hunter is active in the area that's a different story and leaving the area alone is the respectful thing to do...
Well said...

to my way of thinking it is ignorant for someone to put up a stand on crown land that belongs to everyone and expect some sort of exclusive right to the area. If I spend time going over maps and google earth to find a decent looking spot then make a trip out there and like what I see, someone's "permie" stand is not going to stop me from hunting there! Of course if someone is already in the area all bets are off and its on to plan B.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird View Post
He doesn't get it Bird. Do not put up a permanent stand thinking in perpetuity the surrounding location is yours................if he does he is ethically challenged himself. The respect part of it plays out by NOT erecting any permanent stands and not thinking this is my castle and my fiefdom.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:34 PM

I know guys that actually stole tree stands, and put them up in there own area. Not friends of mine, but i do know it happened , just like trail cam thefts, steal them and put them out for there own personal use! No ethics at all. Thats just about as bad as someone putting up a tree stand right beside yours that u hunt in every bow season, and them knowing it.
To me that is kinda unbelievable, only a certain kind of person would do things like that. Outfitters mentality, comes to mind! Again not all outfitters, as there are some decent ones ?
Old 08-15-2015, 12:50 AM
Banned

People who put up tree-stands on Crown Land, and leave them there year round (essentially claiming it as "their spot")...

Deserve to have them legally taken down & kept by anyone walking by and finding it, regardless if it's locked or not.

Some people might refer to it as stealing, but I would consider it "finders-keepers"...

I assume the same risk every time I place trail-cams on public land, but installing a "structure" for longer than 7 days (like a tree-stand) is technically illegal.

And if you arrive one morning to someone else sitting in your "Crown Land stand", be prepared to hunt somewhere else that day.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:48 AM

if its not yours dont touch it thats it
Old 08-23-2015, 09:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercraft View Post
if its not yours dont touch it thats it
Curious, as per my post #70.

When I noticed the hand built tree stand platform with nobody around, I also noticed a nice meadow right in front of it when I got to the top of the hill.

Regardless of the tree stand as soon as I saw the meadow I would have set up and spent a couple of hours there calling to see if I could call in a bull. Does it really make a difference because I opted to climb 14 feet up the tree and call from the platform with a better off the ground view?

Like I said nobody was there and I was in the middle of nowhere.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
He doesn't get it Bird. Do not put up a permanent stand thinking in perpetuity the surrounding location is yours................if he does he is ethically challenged himself. The respect part of it plays out by NOT erecting any permanent stands and not thinking this is my castle and my fiefdom.
Exactly, I don't understand how people think that they can claim crown land for their exclusive use. I don't care if you are an outfitter or just a regular hunter, if it's crown land and it's not under some type of lease that gives one party special priviledges, everyone else has as much right to hunt that land as you do.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post

And if you arrive one morning to someone else sitting in your "Crown Land stand", be prepared to hunt somewhere else that day.

Are you saying if I walk to my stand and you are in it then you are under the assumption you won't be getting out?
Old 08-23-2015, 01:49 PM

I always run into stands or cameras when I'm out scouting, or even just mushroom picking or out with the dog.

I like to climb up to these stands just to see the different ways guys build them, and sometimes just for pure curiosity to get a different look of the area.

I've never "hunted" from someone else's stands, but I sure have sat in a few to have a look. No crime in that.

Heres another question...is it wrong to look at a memory card on someone else's trail camera?
I've pulled the card on a couple of cameras on public land, just to delete pictures of myself. I just feel real put off getting my picture taken on public land, so I delete the pics of me only, and return the card. I'm sure there are guys who would be real choked I touched their camera, but I get pretty choked having my pic taken, also.

I have 4 cameras out on public land right now, I doubt anyone will ever even see them, but that's a risk I take.
It's more risky to have my cams out on one of the private places I have permission on. I wouldn't dare leave cams or my stand up there, because I'm sure they would be stolen, even though I'm the only authorized hunter on that place...he gets a lot of trespassers, as it's real close to town.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:07 PM
Banned

Yes it is rude to touch someone else's Camera, what if you don't set I back right or delete all the pictures by accident? It's not your camera don't touch it.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:01 PM

I'm pretty handy with file management, so I'm not going to delete anything by accident, but I will delete any unauthorized images of myself, on purpose, every time.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:47 PM

Don't drop a deuce on someone's tree stand.

Still laughing at this...

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=253344
Old 08-23-2015, 07:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
I'm pretty handy with file management, so I'm not going to delete anything by accident, but I will delete any unauthorized images of myself, on purpose, every time.
You have no right to do that. Authorization is not required for photos.