Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-23-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerguy View Post
You have no right to do that. Authorization is not required for photos.
Don't care. I'll keep doing it. You can keep your pics of the deer...but you don't need any pictures of me.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
Don't care. I'll keep doing it. You can keep your pics of the deer...but you don't need any pictures of me.
Actually that is ridiculous you do that. Pretty crappy attitude bud.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
My camera is drilled into the tree in a steel box with additional padlocks and a cable lock to keep people like you out. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:

If you don't want your picture taken, don't go out in public. If you are caught taking the card, you can be charged with theft. Try telling the judge that you were only going to delete pictures of yourself, and that you didn't intend to steal the card. By the way, some cams download to remote locations, so taking a card will not stop people from having pictures of you.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:32 PM

I like how everyone on here is talking about ethics, and respect. It is all just lip service for the most part. I have seen first hand what other hunters do to eachother when the chips are down. I have seen nice 2 person tree stands destroyed, and left in the woods because somebody else beat them to the spot. I have seen people wave as they tear by on their quad on public land before noon, to beat me to a spot that was an hour or two walk. Most people on here will talk a great game, but when the time comes to walk the walk, they fall short. If it is a wooden tree stand on public land that somebody else built, the builder has to expect that someone else is going to use it if they find it, I know I would, I have. If I see a truck parked at the entrance to my favorite spot, I will keep on driving, there are still enough bushes for everyone...just to repeat what has already been said, a person cannot claim an area by erecting a tree stand made of lumber. In regards to the outfitter, if what was said is true, he is a jerk, and when his stands are found, they should be removed. It is bull to think that you own the place just because you built a structure on it without any permission from the crown.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Are you saying if I walk to my stand and you are in it then you are under the assumption you won't be getting out?
Yes...That is what he is saying. You don't get to claim the land as yours for your exclusive use, just because you built a fort....
Old 08-24-2015, 12:38 PM

It isn't mine, so I wouldn't use it.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCse7en View Post
Yes...That is what he is saying. You don't get to claim the land as yours for your exclusive use, just because you built a fort....
I'm not claiming the land for my exclusive use, however you will be vacating MY stand when I get there whether you like it or not, the choice is yours.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch11 View Post
It isn't mine, so I wouldn't use it.
If I built it, you could....cause I don't care....Please use it, that is what I built it for...I won't always be there anyway...What frustrates me, is when I am hunting on the ground, and somebody tries to kick me off of the public land because they built a tree fort last year.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I'm not claiming the land for my exclusive use, however you will be vacating MY stand when I get there whether you like it or not, the choice is yours.
You have no entitlement on public land to erect structures....if i find a deerguy fort in the woods, and deerguy isn't in it, I might use it, and I might not. If deerguy is in it, then I will move along, and I would expect the same courtesy from deerguy if he sees someone in a stand or on the ground on public land. Once the fort is up, unless on private land, it is on borrowed time anyway because the forestry removes the structures if they find them. That being said, they don't really belong to the builder on public lands...sorry, but if we do meet, we may have a fight on our hands, I am tired of this crap....Been hunting in alberta all of my life, and I have seen so many new hunters come along who, are actually comical to watch, and think that the world is THEIR oyster, when really it is OURs...

the fruits of the earth belong to all of us, the earth itself to none of us...
Old 08-24-2015, 12:55 PM
Banned

If for whatever reason I was in someone's stand and they came by there wouldn even be. be quezstion. I am gone
Old 08-25-2015, 06:34 AM

Quote:
If for whatever reason I was in someone's stand and they came by there wouldn even be. be quezstion. I am gone
What for?? There is no reason for you to leave...Just because somebody builds a fort on public land, does not give them any more right than you to be there, and since you got there first, it is yours. If it were me, and I came across you in a wooden fort that I had built on public land, then without question, I would leave you be. I likely wouldn't even get that far though, because if I had seen your truck at the access point, I wouldn't even bother going in there. Anyway, I think that this thread has been beaten enough, and resolved virtually nothing...
Old 08-25-2015, 06:48 AM

In several of the spots I hunt there can be as many as four vehicles or more there - they are staging area where people start from , not single trails.
As far as using a tree stand that someone owns or has built , it does not become public property if someone puts it up on crown land . It doesn't 't belong to you so if the owner comes by get the hell out if it and show sone respect to That owner.
This is one reason why i stay away them , I don 't need that type of confrontation to begin with, and have no desire to hunt out of a stand anyway.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 08-25-2015 at 06:53 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
So how do you identify your stands, to prove that you built them? I have had people try to throw me off of private property, when I was there hunting with the landowner. The idiot tried to claim that it was his friend's land, but he was sent packing. It's amazing what some people will try.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
In several of the spots I hunt there can be as many as four vehicles or more there - they are staging area where people start from , not single trails.
As far as using a tree stand that someone owns or has built , it does not become public property if someone puts it up on crown land . It doesn't 't belong to you so if the owner comes by get the hell out if it and show sone respect to That owner.
This is one reason why i stay away them , I don 't need that type of confrontation to begin with, and have no desire to hunt out of a stand anyway.
Cat
Unless you are a trapper, or lease holder, a fort is public property on public land. People break my stuff all of the time, so I quit caring....and quit leaving it there...

Last edited by DCse7en; 08-25-2015 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCse7en View Post
What for?? There is no reason for you to leave...Just because somebody builds a fort on public land, does not give them any more right than you to be there, and since you got there first, it is yours. If it were me, and I came across you in a wooden fort that I had built on public land, then without question, I would leave you be. I likely wouldn't even get that far though, because if I had seen your truck at the access point, I wouldn't even bother going in there. Anyway, I think that this thread has been beaten enough, and resolved virtually nothing...
What are you, a small child? Forts? Grow up man. Buying materials and erecting a stand or buying the Stand itself is what makes it yours. If I park a truck on a cutline so I can go camp in the bush for a week it does not mean you have the right to hop in and use it to run errands. Give your head a shake. IF IT IS NOT YOURS DO NOT TOUCH.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So how do you identify your stands, to prove that you built them? I have had people try to throw me off of private property, when I was there hunting with the landowner. The idiot tried to claim that it was his friend's land, but he was sent packing. It's amazing what some people will try.
Benefit of the doubt? I only ever use my own groundblinds anyways.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Benefit of the doubt? I only ever use my own groundblinds anyways.

Because of past experiences ,and seeing the nonsense that some people will try and pull, I am not all that big on giving everyone the benefit of the doubt. If you claim that you built it, you should have some way of identifying it as yours.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmountainrider View Post
On public land I would use it and yeild use to the builder if he/she shows up.
That's what I would do as well... with a built wooden one anyway. I would never use a portable stand someone had left.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Because of past experiences ,and seeing the nonsense that some people will try and pull, I am not all that big on giving everyone the benefit of the doubt. If you claim that you built it, you should have some way of identifying it as yours.
The fact that you know you did not build it should be enough. It's not logical for you to sit in a stand you knowingly did not build then refuse to get out of it for a guy who says he did build it but has no proof.

Any "proof" that is on the stand will be able to be seen by everyone so If you were in the stand previously you'd be able to use the "proof" against me.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:29 PM

I wouldn't sit in a stand that had been set up by someone else.
However, I wouldn't hesitate to sit on my stool or on a stump in a location where someone had set up a treestand. If I like the location I will sit there.

If someone is there before me, whether sitting in the stand or sitting on a stump, I would wave and move on.
If someone shows up after me, they should be moving on.

The land belongs to us all. As I see it, the rule of first come, first served is applicable.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
The fact that you know you did not build it should be enough. It's not logical for you to sit in a stand you knowingly did not build then refuse to get out of it for a guy who says he did build it but has no proof.

Any "proof" that is on the stand will be able to be seen by everyone so If you were in the stand previously you'd be able to use the "proof" against me.

I didn't own the land that some clown tried to get me to leave, but he didn't own it either. That didn't stop him from trying to bluff me into leaving the property, by claiming that his friend owned the land.

You can always place identification in a place that people won't normally see.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:18 PM

Read this whole thread and the parallel I came up with was docks in a lake. We have a cabin in Sk and put our dock and lifts in every spring and out every fall. Once they are in the water they are on public property. Technically, anyone can use them if they want to. There is nothing I can do about it, other than hope they don't wreck something. The vast majority of folks are respectful and don't use something that isn't theirs just because they technically can. That said, I have pulled into my boat lift after a day on the water to find my dock covered in other peoples stuff and they wouldn't leave as I'm trying to unload my family and stuff out of my boat onto the dock I bought and put in and out every year. That got a little heated, not that I have any more right to the lake then they do, but I climbed into the water at ice out to install it so I kinda figure I should have the right to use it without having to trip over others.

This treestand on public land thing is pretty much the same. Technically, you probably can use a stand that was left on public land without any legal issues. Respectfully, you should probably give it up to the person who took the time to build it and maintain it.

All this being said, I don't use treestands at all. Tried it and couldn't get used to swaying around in the breeze and sitting in one place for hours on end.

SS
Old 08-25-2015, 02:22 PM

Well, you all can leave the fort if you want to, but it is silly to yield your spot to someone just because they built a fort there. You woke up earlier, you should be able to hunt there. If the guy who built the fort shows up, it is his tough luck, he should move on. If he refuses, and stays then he better stay with his fort forever, because I am going to remove it when I get a chance. It is silly to assume that one has a right to something just because they may or may not have built a fort there. This topic has always been a contentious issue with mixed reviews, but the fact is that if it is public land, you have no right to erect a structure and proclaim it yours. If you don't like others using it, then take it with you when you leave. Most people won't sit in these wooden stands anyway, many of them are not built very well, and could be more of a hazard than they are worth. After all, if the forest service finds them, they place a notice to remove the structure, or they will do it. Personally, I could care less if someone is in a stand that I built. You beat me there, so I won't be sitting in it anyway, so somebody might as well use it.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:54 PM
Banned

Your a real winner. We hear about people needing to lock everything up and it is because of people like you. I hope next time you go to steal someone's property you wind up running into one of the Good ol'boys. Remember, what goes around comes around.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
What are you, a small child? Forts? Grow up man. Buying materials and erecting a stand or buying the Stand itself is what makes it yours. If I park a truck on a cutline so I can go camp in the bush for a week it does not mean you have the right to hop in and use it to run errands. Give your head a shake. IF IT IS NOT YOURS DO NOT TOUCH.
Your analogy makes no sense.

You can legally park on a cutline, while it is illegal to erect a treestand on public land.

A more accurate analogy would be if you came upon a field of pot growing illegally on public land, do yo have the right to harvest a plant or two?
Old 08-25-2015, 03:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
Your analogy makes no sense.

You can legally park on a cutline, while it is illegal to erect a treestand on public land.

A more accurate analogy would be if you came upon a field of pot growing illegally on public land, do yo have the right to harvest a plant or two?
Actually I am allowed to erect a Treestand on public land.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Actually I am allowed to erect a Treestand on public land.
Anything over 14 days is illegal. Nobody is building a treestand for a weekend and you well know it.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Anything over 14 days is illegal. Nobody is building a treestand for a weekend and you well know it.
The one I mentioned in my early post that was a beautiful hand built wood platform would have lasted for many years!
Old 08-25-2015, 03:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
How long do you know I have had it there? Especially since it is store bought.