Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-25-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerguy View Post
How long do you know I have had it there? Especially since it is store bought.
Not to pile on, but if it is store bought, you should be able to actually identify it as yours ( serial #, design, receipt)

And even so, once that is proven, you can probably claim it back but I don't think it is all that ethical either to attempt to use it like a book mark so that you can claim a good spot later.

I reckon if you wanted the spot, you should wake up and take it. If you want your stand, take it home after 14 days.

Me, I get too cold and bored in a stand so I prefer to walk around instead.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Your a real winner. We hear about people needing to lock everything up and it is because of people like you. I hope next time you go to steal someone's property you wind up running into one of the Good ol'boys. Remember, what goes around comes around.
Nope, it is not because of me. I have no sense of entitlement, and I am not a thief. You want to build yourself a nice fort on public land, then don't go off the deep end when someone else is sitting in it, also don't be surprised to see it destroyed, because really you have no claim to it anyway. I have seen nice two person tree stands set up on private land with permission destroyed, so I am desensitized to this....
Old 08-25-2015, 05:36 PM
Banned

You are a thief. You even said you would the tree stands yourself if the owner made you get out.

What zones do you "hunt" in?
Old 08-25-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
You are a thief. You even said you would the tree stands yourself if the owner made you get out.

What zones do you "hunt" in?
You can't label me for what I MIGHT do....sheesh. The owner wouldn't make me get out. I have been hunting for many years and never encountered anyone belligerent enough to go to that extreme. It isn't theft to remove garbage from the crown land. Unauthorized wooden forts on crown land are just that.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Which is not at all what the OP was asking about when he started this thread.

The very fist post reads:

Quote:
What are your feelings on tree stand ethics [permanent stands only]....when you find a man made tree stand in a very good spot would you use it? Are these stands the personal property of the builder or are they free to use on a first come, first serve basis??
Old 08-25-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Which is not at all what the OP was asking about when he started this thread.

The very fist post reads:
And was not at all what he was talking about when Deerguy wrote: "What are you, a small child? Forts? Grow up man. Buying materials and erecting a stand or buying the Stand itself is what makes it yours. If I park a truck on a cutline so I can go camp in the bush for a week it does not mean you have the right to hop in and use it to run errands. Give your head a shake. IF IT IS NOT YOURS DO NOT TOUCH."
Old 08-25-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Too late for that BS.

You already said "Buying materials and erecting a stand or buying the Stand itself is what makes it yours."
Old 08-25-2015, 07:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
Too late for that BS.

You already said "Buying materials and erecting a stand or buying the Stand itself is what makes it yours."
What BS? I can buy a lock on stand, they are designed to be permies. I can also buy wood and make make stand. When you come across one common courtesy would be to not hunt right there but in another spot, say a couple hundred yards away.

Also if you do choose to hunt that stand you should leave once the owner shows up.

These are not laws or rules, just common courtesy. Nothing is making you be a respectful individual by walking away.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
What BS? I can buy a lock on stand, they are designed to be permies. I can also buy wood and make make stand. When you come across one common courtesy would be to not hunt right there but in another spot, say a couple hundred yards away.

Also if you do choose to hunt that stand you should leave once the owner shows up.

These are not laws or rules, just common courtesy. Nothing is making you be a respectful individual by walking away.

Common courtesy is leaving someone else's property alone

Common courtesy is ALSO NOT thinking you own the area because you leave property in it

Common courtesy is defaulting to the hunter that is in the area first.

Not that complicated
Old 08-25-2015, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbotman View Post
Common courtesy is leaving someone else's property alone

Common courtesy is ALSO NOT thinking you own the area because you leave property in it

Common courtesy is defaulting to the hunter that is in the area first.

Not that complicated
Some of you people are not happy unless you are messing up someone's day and looking for trouble. I feel bad bad you, as that is a sad way to go through life.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Some of you people are not happy unless you are messing up someone's day and looking for trouble. I feel bad bad you, as that is a sad way to go through life.
.?????? I agree with you that we should leave others property alone.

Surely you can't think that you can bump other people out of an area by the mere act of putting up a stand?

I head into an area that I have been hunting all season only to find that you just put up a stand. Is that now your area for the rest of the season?

Please answer this question
Old 08-25-2015, 08:00 PM

Here's the scenario dead end road one trail going off of it and you know there is a nice permanent built fort there for hunting. So you get there first no other trucks are around and you sit in this fort. Now some guy parks on the dead end road after walks down the trail and says this is my fort.
1. You leave the fort and go to your truck and find another spot.( the morning hunt is more then likely ruined now)
2. Tell him you here first have a nice day find another place.

This is all on public land what would you do ?
Old 08-25-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:

Oh my sweet lord.....Good luck sir....I hope you have fun trying to impose your ethics on others....god help you.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
.?????? I agree with you that we should leave others property alone.

Surely you can't think that you can bump other people out of an area by the mere act of putting up a stand?

I head into an area that I have been hunting all season only to find that you just put up a stand. Is that now your area for the rest of the season?

This has been my point from the start. So many people think that they can lay claim to an area just because they have a fort there...
Old 08-25-2015, 08:24 PM
Banned

Quote:

No of course not. You can't put up a stand mid season and expect people to give you space.

Pre season is time to set the stands

I found a nice permie in 330 a few weeks ago, carried on and found a decent spot over looking a small meadow near the river. Decided to find another spot down the road, so now if I find myself in the area and a vehicle is there I can carry on to another predetermined area I have. His stand was there first so I will give him the space.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCse7en View Post
Oh my sweet lord.....Good luck sir....I hope you have fun trying to impose your ethics on others....god help you.
Good luck on having someone leave my stand if I show up? I won't need luck.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
No of course not. You can't put up a stand mid season and expect people to give you space.

Pre season is time to set the stands

I found a nice permie in 330 a few weeks ago, carried on and found a decent spot over looking a small meadow near the river. Decided to find another spot down the road, so now if I find myself in the area and a vehicle is there I can carry on to another predetermined area I have. His stand was there first so I will give him the space.
Ok

So if you setting the stands pre season, then you are knowingly setting up an illegal stand.

If you are knowingly hunting out of an illegal stand, how are you not a poacher ?
Old 08-25-2015, 08:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrit View Post
Here's the scenario dead end road one trail going off of it and you know there is a nice permanent built fort there for hunting. So you get there first no other trucks are around and you sit in this fort. Now some guy parks on the dead end road after walks down the trail and says this is my fort.
1. You leave the fort and go to your truck and find another spot.( the morning hunt is more then likely ruined now)
2. Tell him you here first have a nice day find another place.

This is all on public land what would you do ?
I don't hunt where kids and immature teens have free reign so I have never found a fort.

However, if I found myself hunting in a stand that I myself did not build or buy, and the owner showed up, he wouldn't even need to ask I would leave on my own accord.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:31 PM

Why is it so hard, if not yours leave it alone.
Hunt where you want the bush is all open, a stand doesn't change that.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ok

So if you setting the stands pre season, then you are knowingly setting up an illegal stand.

If you are knowingly hunting out of an illegal stand, how are you not a poacher ?
Because that is not poaching. I didn't think i'd have to explain that to you.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Because that is not poaching. I didn't think i'd have to explain that to you.
Please do. How many laws do you have to break when you are hunting to qualify a poacher?
Old 08-25-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I don't hunt where kids and immature teens have free reign so I have never found a fort.

However, if I found myself hunting in a stand that I myself did not build or buy, and the owner showed up, he wouldn't even need to ask I would leave on my own accord.
All of those forts in 330 are mine now...I will destroy them as I see fit...You better stay out of there, I don't believe in luck.... :P
Old 08-25-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:

The public land belongs to everyone, that includes kids and immature teens...they can use the forts too....
Old 08-25-2015, 08:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Please do. How many laws do you have to break when you are hunting to qualify a poacher?
Show me in the regs where it says I can't put up a stand. I am only aware that they have to be taken down at the end of the season.

I also never put the permie tree stand in, I have only built ground blinds so far.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Show me in the regs where it says I can't put up a stand. I am only aware that they have to be taken down at the end of the season.

I also never put the permie tree stand in, I have only built ground blinds so far.
You won't find that in the huntin regs...but forts are not allowed on public land...here is a good rule for you in case you decide to build yourself a fort and expect everyone to get out of your way. Take it with you when you leave. That way you aren't littering, or squatting, and you won't have to worry about anyone sitting in it when they wake up earlier than you. Your feeling of entitlement to the area will melt away, and all of the stresses of getting to your fort, only to find an earlier bird will be gone....
Old 08-25-2015, 09:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCse7en View Post
You won't find that in the huntin regs...but forts are not allowed on public land...here is a good rule for you in case you decide to build yourself a fort and expect everyone to get out of your way. Take it with you when you leave. That way you aren't littering, or squatting, and you won't have to worry about anyone sitting in it when they wake up earlier than you. Your feeling of entitlement to the area will melt away, and all of the stresses of getting to your fort, only to find an earlier bird will be gone....
Where is the law? And it's not a fort it is a stand. You do your family name injustice when you talk like that.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
fort/fôrt/
noun
a fortified building or fortified strategic posistion

fort
[fawrt, fohrt]
noun
a strong or fortified place occupied by troops and usually surrounded by walls, ditches, and other defensive works; a fortress; fortification

I agree with you, it is safe to say I can't build a fort, good thing I have have plans to do so.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Where is the law? And it's not a fort it is a stand. You do your family name injustice when you talk like that.

Call it what you like...no unauthorized structures allowed on crown land sir. They are almost always removed when found.

Building a fort before the season starts does not give you the right to tell anybody to leave, you do not own the land, you do not get "dibs" which is essentially what you are "calling". Hence why I began calling the stands forts...
Old 08-25-2015, 09:16 PM
Banned

Where's the law.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Where's the law.
Lol are you actually arguing this point?