Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-25-2015, 09:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
Lol are you actually arguing this point?
If it's illegal to put a stand up before the season then there has to be more written law. I would like to see it as I have been unable to find it myself.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:52 PM

There is not to many ethical hunters out there anymore..
Here is my thought about ethics! Was out doing a little scouting last year 2 weeks before archery season, came across a nice little watering hole, fresh elk, deer track all around.Seen where someone had trimmed up a nice big pine tree for a tree stand. Looked around some more to see if there was a camera or sign of human movement, there was none, so put up a stand on that tree the next day.
Anyway went back there a couple days before opening day to check things out, and found a note on my tree stand saying " i have been hunting this place for the last 3 yrs".I respected that and moved my stand out! No big deal too me.
But i did have a guy put up a stand 30 metres from my store bought stand, where i have been hunting for for the last 18 yrs during bow season, and he knew it.That i do have a problem with! There was no ethics in his choice.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrunner View Post
Here is my thought about ethics! Was out doing a little scouting last year 2 weeks before archery season, came across a nice little watering hole, fresh elk, deer track all around.Seen where someone had trimmed up a nice big pine tree for a tree stand. Looked around some more to see if there was a camera or sign of human movement, there was none, so put up a stand on that tree the next day.
Anyway went back there a couple days before opening day to check things out, and found a note on my tree stand saying " i have been hunting this place for the last 3 yrs".I respected that and moved my stand out! No big deal too me.
But i did have a guy put up a stand 30 metres from my store bought stand, where i have been hunting for for the last 18 yrs during bow season, and he knew it.That i do have a problem with! There was no ethics in his choice.
Thank you for being respectful. I hope a Booner finds you this season.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:13 PM

What about in Sask where their baiting and leaving stands/blinds all over? Bet guys would be choked at someone using these
Banned

Default Post#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
What are your feelings on tree stand ethics [permanent stands only]....when you find a man made tree stand in a very good spot would you use it? Are these stands the personal property of the builder or are they free to use on a first come, first serve basis??

I question the ethics; I have only been reintroduced to the game.

The one carry over was the respect of private property.

The second was the respect of public privileges.

Knowledge is valuable but who contributes and interprets this information is important.

That is why fire can be good.

Quote:
So let me get this straight...someone put up a tree stand close to your stand in a spot where you have been hunting 18 years, I am going to presume that this is crown land, and you have a problem with that? Say he gets up bright and early and gets to his stand before you get to yours...you are going to claim that spot despite the fact that he got there first? You have got to be joking. What gives you any more right to be there than the other person? Is this thread a testament to where hunting ethics are heading? I sure hope not. Just because you have been hunting year after year in this spot for 18 years does not entitle you to anything, where did this attitude come from?
Old 08-25-2015, 10:22 PM

When ever some one builds a perament fort on crown land the first person to the fort wins. That goes for any spot if there is a fort there or not. I would big bestir ate to use some one else's fort in the bush. (Fort)
Old 08-25-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCse7en View Post
So let me get this straight...someone put up a tree stand close to your stand in a spot where you have been hunting 18 years, I am going to presume that this is crown land, and you have a problem with that? Say he gets up bright and early and gets to his stand before you get to yours...you are going to claim that spot despite the fact that he got there first? You have got to be joking. What gives you any more right to be there than the other person? Is this thread a testament to where hunting ethics are heading? I sure hope not. Just because you have been hunting year after year in this spot for 18 years does not entitle you to anything, where did this attitude come from?
Do you hunt downtown?
Is there not another quarter section or chunk of bush right beside you?
Are we here in Alberta out of woods already and must fight over 500 sqft?
Crown land is owned by all, but a man can't own a treestand?
Are you the same guy that lets his dog crap on my lawn and leaves it because technically, "I don't own the first 3 feet"?

No need to respond as I already know your answers.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Do you hunt downtown?
Is there not another quarter section or chunk of bush right beside you?
Are we here in Alberta out of woods already and must fight over 500 sqft?
Crown land is owned by all, but a man can't own a treestand?
Are you the same guy that lets his dog crap on my lawn and leaves it because technically, "I don't own the first 3 feet"?

No need to respond as I already know your answers.
Nope, Maybe, nope, yep, nope....

Are you entitled to expect others to move from a spot because you have a stand there and might show up? If I am there first, you go find another quarter to hunt on, I don't care if you have a tree stand there permanent or otherwise. You don't own the land, you do not get to dictate who can use it and who can't. I do agree that crown land is owned by all, and that a person can own a tree stand, however building wooden stands on crown land and leaving them there year after year, all the while thinking that nobody else can go there is simply asinine. That per se is unethical. I have been hunting in the same places for thirty plus years, so you suppose when I meet another hunter there we have a contest about who has more entitlement based on the number of forts we have built and how long we have been hunting the area? Give me a break! Bottom line, first come, first serve...you want your spot, get there before me, if I see your truck there, you won't even see me...that is ethical.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
There is not to many ethical hunters out there.Seen where someone had trimmed up a nice big pine tree for a tree stand. Looked around some more to see if there was a camera or sign of human movement, there was none, so put up a stand on that tree the next day.
Hmmmm......
Old 08-26-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
What i am saying its unethical to put a stand up very close to another stand which u know is being used. I know he has every right to do that, but it takes a very special person to do something like that.
That would be fun both guys sitting there hunting? Use a little respect guys, theres lots of room out there
Old 08-26-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Hmmmm......
U left out alot of my quote, did i respect the note. People do leave a area for perhaps somewhere better or maybe there to busy to hunt, dead whatever?
Old 08-26-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
What i am saying its unethical to put a stand up very close to another stand which u know is being used. I know he has every right to do that, but it takes a very special person to do something like that.
That would be fun both guys sitting there hunting? Use a little respect guys, theres lots of room out there
No way fella. You don't get to set up a tree stand on crown land and expect that nobody else is going to show up, and if they do, they must yield the spot over to you because the stand is yours. If he shows up at the spot and you aren't there, why shouldn't he be able to sit in his stand? Would you rather he sit in yours? If you happen to come by after he is there, you should be the one to leave, not him he got there first.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
U left out alot of my quote, did i respect the note. People do leave a area for perhaps somewhere better or maybe there to busy to hunt, dead whatever?
Yes, I did leave some out. But the fact that you stated that someone had cut the branches off of the tree, but you could find no evidence of human movement is a contradiction.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
That's what I would do as well... with a built wooden one anyway. I would never use a portable stand someone had left.
Oh man, I didn't realize this was a boomerang thread that is 2 years old!!!!!!! I said exactly the same thing earlier on this thread in 2013!
Old 08-26-2015, 09:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerguy View Post
What BS? I can buy a lock on stand, they are designed to be permies. I can also buy wood and make make stand. When you come across one common courtesy would be to not hunt right there but in another spot, say a couple hundred yards away.

Also if you do choose to hunt that stand you should leave once the owner shows up.

These are not laws or rules, just common courtesy. Nothing is making you be a respectful individual by walking away.
So if you put up a stand there, you think no one else should hunt that area if you are not there first, and you think they should leave the area if you show up and they are already hunting there, just because you put a stand up, even if they are not in the stand you put up?
Old 08-26-2015, 09:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
I'm not claiming the land for my exclusive use, however you will be vacating MY stand when I get there whether you like it or not, the choice is yours.
Please explain how you would make someone vacate a tree stand on public lands? What if that person was meaner and nastier than you, what are you going to do then?
Old 08-26-2015, 09:58 AM

the way I see it is if I were to put a stand on crown land and if some one else was there using it before I got there either I leave and let him sit there or I ask them to get out so I can remove it from the area... but the best is to have an aluminum one that is easy to care on your back and take it with you where ever you go that way there is no problem at all!!!!\

And yes they do make them light enough to carry on your back and very easy set up
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 08-26-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm360 View Post
the way I see it is if I were to put a stand on crown land and if some one else was there using it before I got there either I leave and let him sit there or I ask them to get out so I can remove it from the area... but the best is to have an aluminum one that is easy to care on your back and take it with you where ever you go that way there is no problem at all!!!!\

And yes they do make them light enough to carry on your back and very easy set up
That is the way it should be done....if you leave them out there, they will eventually get vandalized....
Old 08-26-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
That is the way it should be done....if you leave them out there, they will eventually get vandalized....
If I ever had a confrontation with another hunter in the scenario Deerguy describes. I'd be returning with my chainsaw. With a permit, is 100% legal.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
If I ever had a confrontation with another hunter in the scenario Deerguy describes. I'd be returning with my chainsaw. With a permit, is 100% legal.
It's funny, because I have no doubt in my mind that someone like you would try to destroy someone else's property. It's why America has castle doctrine
Old 08-26-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
It's funny, because I have no doubt in my mind that someone like you would try to destroy someone else's property. It's why America has castle doctrine
We aren't talking about your house here...good luck claiming justifiable homicide when you murder someone over a tree fort on crown land...If you are not first to the hunting spot, you should be the one to leave regardless of anything you may have left behind to claim "dibs".
Old 08-26-2015, 12:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
We aren't talking about your house here...good luck claiming justifiable homicide when you murder someone over a tree fort on crown land...If you are not first to the hunting spot, you should be the one to leave regardless of anything you may have left behind to claim "dibs".
You're to incompetent to argue with. You use fantasy terms due to your inability to form a real argument. You can have your head in the clouds while on your make believe island all you want, sit in the wrong stand and someone will bring you back to the real world on a 1st class ticket, and no, unfortuantely for you there won't be a little juice box and creme cookies for the trip.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
You're to incompetent to argue with. You use fantasy terms due to your inability to form a real argument. You can have your head in the clouds while on your make believe island all you want, sit in the wrong stand and someone will bring you back to the real world on a 1st class ticket, and no, unfortuantely for you there won't be a little juice box and creme cookies for the trip.
Nope, they won't.....I have been doing this for a very long time, and haven't met anybody that wanted to "bring me back to the real world". You though, might get a rude awakening when you try to remove someone from an area because you put up a fort but couldn't get up early enough to beat them there...I have already stated that any permanent fort built by me is available to anybody who wakes up early enough to beat me to the spot....believe me, they are out there, and I have lost the race a time or two. It doesn't matter to me at all....The fact that you use words like "booner" and "permie" suggest that you are new to the sport and gathered much information from wild tv. You do not learn ethics from the television I am afraid, only from experience, and if you think that you have the right to ask somebody to leave a hunting spot on crown land for any reason, then you have much to learn.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:16 PM

you can sure learn lots form the internet it says so
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 08-26-2015, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Nope, they won't.....I have been doing this for a very long time, and haven't met anybody that wanted to "bring me back to the real world". You though, might get a rude awakening when you try to remove someone from an area because you put up a fort but couldn't get up early enough to beat them there...I have already stated that any permanent fort built by me is available to anybody who wakes up early enough to beat me to the spot....believe me, they are out there, and I have lost the race a time or two. It doesn't matter to me at all....The fact that you use words like "booner" and "permie" suggest that you are new to the sport and gathered much information from wild tv. You do not learn ethics from the television I am afraid, only from experience, and if you think that you have the right to ask somebody to leave a hunting spot on crown land for any reason, then you have much to learn.
You are all over the place. I never said I'd remove anyone from the area, you conjured that up in your own mind then tried to form an argument out of it. I said I would remove someone from my stand once I arrived and someone was in it. Veterans to the sport don't use "booner" in type or "permie"? They type out " Boone and Crockett class whitetail buck" and " permanent tree stand" even when using mobile devices like myself? Interesting, did not know that. I never would have thought that someone who uses majestical fake terms for hunting products would be in the know for hunting grammar and grammatical errors.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
What BS? I can buy a lock on stand, they are designed to be permies. I can also buy wood and make make stand. When you come across one common courtesy would be to not hunt right there but in another spot, say a couple hundred yards away.

Also if you do choose to hunt that stand you should leave once the owner shows up.

These are not laws or rules, just common courtesy. Nothing is making you be a respectful individual by walking away.
Remember saying this? You think I am leaving if I beat you to the spot? Think again...Inexperience at its finest....a couple of hundred yards is not enough distance in between....and no, I have never heard a long time hunter use those words, I have heard them though, from people who watch lots of hunting on television.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Remember saying this? You think I am leaving if I beat you to the spot? Think again...
I said it would be common courtesy, never said I'd make someone leave the area. I would make you get out of the stand tho, seeing as it is not yours.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I said it would be common courtesy, never said I'd make someone leave the area. I would make you get out of the stand tho, seeing as it is not yours.
You can get your stand back after I leave...
Old 08-26-2015, 12:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Remember saying this? You think I am leaving if I beat you to the spot? Think again...Inexperience at its finest....a couple of hundred yards is not enough distance in between....and no, I have never heard a long time hunter use those words, I have heard them though, from people who watch lots of hunting on television.
A couple hundred yards was an example, not a predetermined exact number of yards away. And just because some guy in your circle doesn't use them means sweet F.A. Also, I have never heard either term used on television because there is no need to abrehiviate terms when using oral communication.