Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-08-2015, 09:00 AM

Angry Wolf Miss At 50 yds video - OM*G // Feeling Better - Wolf Down

This happened twice in three years now… They circle around and catch my wind then bounce into the bush… gone. So this time figure I'd hammer them right away… Rush Rush Rush… overshoot… gonna haunt me for a while. Geez when will I learn lol... !!!!

Video

I think this is him
Old 05-08-2015, 09:12 AM

Missed him by that much. Close, real close but no cigar. Hopefully you will get a few more chances at one of them. Good luck.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:16 AM
Banned

Default ohhhhhhh that really sucks!!!!!!

A little high but in the perfect vertical line Popcan!! Yep, that will haunt you for awhile, or at least until you smoke one!

What kind of rifle are you using? Sounds pretty big!

Good luck, I really hope you get one!!!!!!
Old 05-08-2015, 09:21 AM

270 short mag… I’m gonna throw that video camera away pretty soon… just too much going on. Can’t focus on 2 or 3 things at the same time anymore.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:25 AM

oh man ...sorry to hear your miss...... that sucks .... its harder to shoot close than long range for some reason ...FML ..... last fall missed a yote at 70 ....but a month ago got one in the head at 434 ...lol ....

should bring me ...my names wolf .... ill get him ...lol
Old 05-08-2015, 10:00 AM

Grats on the hunt

its called hunting Wolves

even when you hit them

next time Popcan

Thanks for sharing

David
Old 05-08-2015, 10:03 AM

That's a great video pal....absolutely awesome (Other than the finish) but hey, it happens
Old 05-08-2015, 10:06 AM

I know the feeling. Ive missed coyotes at 25 with a 12 gauge!! Like what has been said, its hunting. Better luck next time.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:21 AM
Banned

nice work on the video very seamless and not jerky

the shot however! lol you just need a camera man in there with you
Old 05-08-2015, 10:23 AM

it almost looks like you grazed him. a tuft of hair stuck up right after the bullet passed
Old 05-08-2015, 10:24 AM
Gone Hunting

Wolf Mojo.

Every year I call wolves to the gun for my clients. Every year I tell them "stay on the fur, and every year they shoot over.

these are not 600 yd running shots. These are standing broadside at 70 - 400 yds. Lots of time to set up the shot, all shooting from a rest, usually a bipod.

I had two shooters for the 406 yard shot. We had 10 minutes to set it up, from the time we saw the three wolves. The two shooters have won long range competitions. One of the wolves was white . I don't see many white ones. Unbelievable misses.

These guys hunt the world and when a wolf comes in to the call, they lose it.

Don't feel bad. It happens.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-08-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcan View Post
270 short mag… I’m gonna throw that video camera away pretty soon… just too much going on. Can’t focus on 2 or 3 things at the same time anymore.
Yup, gotta decide which has priority.

Grizz
Old 05-08-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Wolf Mojo.

Every year I call wolves to the gun for my clients. Every year I tell them "stay on the fur, and every year they shoot over.

these are not 600 yd running shots. These are standing broadside at 70 - 400 yds. Lots of time to set up the shot, all shooting from a rest, usually a bipod.

I had two shooters for the 406 yard shot. We had 10 minutes to set it up, from the time we saw the three wolves. The two shooters have won long range competitions. One of the wolves was white . I don't see many white ones. Unbelievable misses.

These guys hunt the world and when a wolf comes in to the call, they lose it.

Don't feel bad. It happens.
i have heard you say hold on fur so many times, next time i see a yote or wolf i know where im aiming.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:21 PM

You will do no such thing as leave the video camera sir. Just watch the vid from last year, two with one shot and you will feel better....leave the camera...please...crazy talk.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:25 PM
Banned

Called one in and missed at 330yds two days ago.... I was excited....

At least I don't have video of mine hahaha, your videos are awesome, don't stop.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:45 PM

Crappy deal on the miss.
You are popcan,you are a wolf hunting genius, you will shoot one before the season is up. Im sure of it.
Keep at em.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:47 PM
Gone Hunting

Called a big black in last year for a client. The wolf was on a rise at 220 yds with clear blue sky behind him. He was standing broadside, trying to figure out where we were. What a perfect picture.

And therein lies the rub. My client couldn't decide whether to take the pic or take the shot.

He missed the shot. Guess what? He shot over.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:38 PM

It takes a big man to tell about a miss and an even bigger one to show it on video .. Don't stop the vid clips we enjoy all of them , successful or not . I keep trying to get myself to video coyote calling hunts and never seem to be able to put down the gun to run the camera . My hats off to you and the others that make it happen even at the risk of letting a critter walk . Keep it up Popcan ,you're the best .
Old 05-08-2015, 05:51 PM
Banned

Ouch! Must be difficult running a camera and focusing on your shot at same time. Looked like a beautifull wolf. Hope you get him/her next time.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:30 PM

After a close call like that, how likely is that wolf to come to a bait or call again? I ask out of curiousity as I've never gone after wolf or had a crack at one even by accident. I imagine they are pretty smart and wary after the fur on their back gets ruffled by a .270....too bad on the miss, but I think we've all done it on some critter at one time or another. I missed the biggest bull moose I've personally seen at 70 yards with my bow, shot right under the brisket because I didn't have time to range him and figured him for 60....I still have nightmares about it.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-08-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
After a close call like that, how likely is that wolf to come to a bait or call again? I ask out of curiousity as I've never gone after wolf or had a crack at one even by accident. I imagine they are pretty smart and wary after the fur on their back gets ruffled by a .270....too bad on the miss, but I think we've all done it on some critter at one time or another. I missed the biggest bull moose I've personally seen at 70 yards with my bow, shot right under the brisket because I didn't have time to range him and figured him for 60....I still have nightmares about it.
. Nevermind..
Popcan is online. Let the master answer your question.

Last edited by Hydro1; 05-08-2015 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Popcan is online.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:48 PM

I had my doubts if he'd come back or not too but he just showed back up at 6:05... That was 35 mins ago... Same deal except alot closer this time. 15 yds broadside stopped. Everythings perfect... Cam's on, gun's up & I'm shaking in my shorts. He hears the safety click off & now its a staredown for 15 seconds. He turns his head I lower mine into the scope he catches my movement & bounces. GONE !! He's howling 1/4 mile away since it happened. Another 1/2 second is all I needed... Gotta love it... Lol

I wish more on here would post their adventures... Real world stuff... It's not all glory...theres a bear here now... Gotta fly
Old 05-08-2015, 07:56 PM

Surprising...
Im assuming despite the gun shot you didnt give yourself away.
Cant say the same for the second time,
Starring down a wolf is 100 times more eerie than any other game.
Shame you missed out the second time around.
Glad you are out hunting them.
Are you looking to fill a supplemental bear tag?
Or just trying to redeem yourself on a wolf or two?
Both?

Last edited by Hydro1; 05-08-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:33 PM

Ahhhh close one!
Been there before, got exited on a nice buck couple years ago at about 40 meters.. Pulled the trigger instead of a squeeze and fired high... Still get nightmares lol.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:20 PM

Oh wow!

That was some great footage. A really awesome wolf, for sure!

Here's hoping you have better luck next time!
Old 05-08-2015, 11:11 PM
Gone Hunting

It can be frustrating. It takes a different mindset to hunt wolves.

I can kill a coyote or two and have the rest run off. I usually can get the remainders to come back and die as well, but I've never been able to do that with wolves yet.
I killed a wolf and had the rest of the pack run off. They howled back and forth with me for two hours while I skinned and prepped their buddy, but would not come closer than about 1/2 mile.

I know there's lots of guys who kill wolves every year as targets of opportunity, but it is different when you are calling them in. I know guys who bait for them, but I can't sit there for hours hoping 'this is the day.'I envy those who can in a way.

Having a staredown with a wolf will definitely get the adrenaline roaring.

I'm not sure what comes close to calling a wolf in with a hand call close enough to see his eyes and see his breath. He was top of the food chain, until you arrived and coaxed him into range. He stops and locks on you. You look into the eyes of a very successful predator and it seems like you can see back into a tunnel of time, a thousand years.

The hair on your neck stands on end and it's a dance between the hunter and the hunted.

Or you can go shoot a deer for the freezer.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:49 PM

The main thing is you are having FUN !!!!
Old 05-09-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
It can be frustrating. It takes a different mindset to hunt wolves.

I can kill a coyote or two and have the rest run off. I usually can get the remainders to come back and die as well, but I've never been able to do that with wolves yet.
I killed a wolf and had the rest of the pack run off. They howled back and forth with me for two hours while I skinned and prepped their buddy, but would not come closer than about 1/2 mile.

I know there's lots of guys who kill wolves every year as targets of opportunity, but it is different when you are calling them in. I know guys who bait for them, but I can't sit there for hours hoping 'this is the day.'I envy those who can in a way.

Having a staredown with a wolf will definitely get the adrenaline roaring.

I'm not sure what comes close to calling a wolf in with a hand call close enough to see his eyes and see his breath. He was top of the food chain, until you arrived and coaxed him into range. He stops and locks on you. You look into the eyes of a very successful predator and it seems like you can see back into a tunnel of time, a thousand years.

The hair on your neck stands on end and it's a dance between the hunter and the hunted.

Or you can go shoot a deer for the freezer.
So true Red . Calling coyotes just isnt the same after you've had wolves come in .
Old 05-09-2015, 06:50 AM

Buddy, you post the most awesome stuff and tell the truth about your hunts. So much better than WildTV. We love when you post. Please keep the camera and please keep posting.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter1602 View Post
Ahhhh close one!
Been there before, got exited on a nice buck couple years ago at about 40 meters.. Pulled the trigger instead of a squeeze and fired high... Still get nightmares lol.
I had a WT doe in my scope at 50yds. It would've been my first one and the adrenalin was flowing and I pulled the trigger and shot infront of it