Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-26-2015, 10:01 PM

Default Aggressive behaviour

With all this tough talk on who gets to the fort first I was wondering if any one has experienced a bad altercation out hunting.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:13 PM
Banned

No.

But I was prepared.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:41 PM

I haven't but people that I hunt with have....it's pretty disgusting what some big tuff guys will do.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:21 AM

Last november, leaving a property we had permission on and some guy pulls up and starts going off about how he owns the land and the rcmp were on their way, told him who the landowner was and he said he had no idea who that was
Old 08-27-2015, 05:39 AM

I hunt mostly public land and have my spots. If I arrive late and someone is in my spot I leave it to them and go to another place to hunt as we both have the same rights to the spot.

My experience with private land has not been good because every time that I have got written permission to hunt a piece of private land I spend half my time talking to other hunters who are hunting the land without permission. This is why I went back to private land where I do not have to be concerned about who has the right to hunt there.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrit View Post
With all this tough talk on who gets to the fort first I was wondering if any one has experienced a bad altercation out hunting.
I did with myself, on the way to the stand had a bad case if diarrhea

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-27-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B. View Post
I hunt mostly public land and have my spots. If I arrive late and someone is in my spot I leave it to them and go to another place to hunt as we both have the same rights to the spot.

My experience with private land has not been good because every time that I have got written permission to hunt a piece of private land I spend half my time talking to other hunters who are hunting the land without permission. This is why I went back to private land where I do not have to be concerned about who has the right to hunt there.
^Been there, done that. A couple of years ago, hunting on public land going into a spot I knew had some good game trails coming past. Got in there late (my fault for sure) and there was already someone hanging in a tree in the area (I'm a ground hunter). Just gave him a small salute and wave and carried on another 2-300 yards down the trail. Bumped into him later on in the evening back out at the road and gave him a ride down to his truck. Turned out to be a really good experience because we both agreed that the way things went down was more than respectful. He shared his experience on the amount of game he had seen in the area, as well as I did the same.

As long as ONE of the parties doesn't have their head up their @rse and actually thinks about the whole situation (let's face it - there are weapons handy), usually the one that arrives later *should* take it for what it is and give a little wave of acknowledgement and carry on further.... Alberta is a big place - why do you have to insist that one particular tree/area is "yours"?

J.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmasterjr View Post
Last november, leaving a property we had permission on and some guy pulls up and starts going off about how he owns the land and the rcmp were on their way, told him who the landowner was and he said he had no idea who that was
I had something similar happen about 15 years ago.

A guy crossed the fence from the next quarter and tried to kick us out of the property. Claimed he had exclusive permission where we stood.

We were within view of the farmer's house that I was in getting permission not a half hour before and it was the third or fourth time we hunted there.

I suggested we go back to the house and see who has permission here and who does not. He declined.

I've hunted hunted farmland very little since,...usually at my hometown where I know the farmers or on my inlaw's farm.

More idiots running around on farm land than out in crown land.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:52 AM

Smile This is one reason I hunt Birds

There are lots of true stories about very bad behaviour by big game hunters.

With bird hunters in Alberta, there are so many birds and so much room there is no need for this type of behaviour. When I hunted in Ontario I had people set up too close to me (IMO) but in Alberta if I don't have the whole 1/4, I move or join forces.

Angry (sometimes not sober) guys with high powered guns gives me a lot of concern.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:29 AM

had a group of "mature" (50+) goose hunters try and bully me off a field i had permission on when i was a youngster (16). My uncle and the gentleman got nose to nose but my father pulled him off....Ive grown up now and can fight his own fights...i'de like to see those clowns try to intimidate me today. I wish i could invoice them for the decoys they ran over. If you used to drive a dark blue explorer, hunt in the wetaskwin area close to the reserve, and pick on teenagers trying to shoot a couple of ducks with family ide love to talk with you this season....

Last edited by drake; 08-27-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
had a group of "mature" (50+) goose hunters try and bully me off a field i had permission on when i was a youngster (16). My uncle and the gentleman got nose to nose but my father pulled him off....Ive grown up now and can fight his own fights...i'de like to see those clowns try to intimidate me today. I wish i could invoice them for the decoys they ran over. If you used to drive a dark blue explorer, hunt in the wetaskwin area close to the reserve, and pick on teenagers trying to shoot a couple of ducks with family ide love to talk with you this season....

Ya they would be in their 80"s now. You should be able to take them now unless they tag team you lol just kidding Been in same situation and it was my uncles land. burned a **** hook over or decoys and took off. Now would be a different story.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE View Post
Ya they would be in their 80"s now. You should be able to take them now unless they tag team you lol just kidding Been in same situation and it was my uncles land. burned a **** hook over or decoys and took off. Now would be a different story.
he was pretty fat; i bet he is dead by now.....at the very least he probably has a bad case of the "beatus" (diabetes).....to bad.

the more i think about it, the more rage it breeds.........i havent thought about that incident for a long time. What an CSker
Old 08-27-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrit View Post

Years back my good friend only had a car, so he parked his car at the end of an old cutline. He had been walking for a while when a truck with two men came along and drove by him (he did not block their way, but stood off to the side to let them pass). My friend was frustrated, but said the heck with it and kept walking. After a little while, another truck came along and the person inside offered him a ride into the area where they would hunt from. He jumped in the truck and they proceeded down the old cutline, and saw the other men's truck parked on the side. They decided to keep driving, and in a short time caught up to the two men who had only moments prior driven past my friend. How ever, one of the two men would not yield passage to the truck. The driver of the truck got out, and the two men then had a shoving match in the middle of the line. Needless to say, the driver who my friend was riding with, won the match, and drove on past the guy who only moments before was allowed access by my friend. The other man, upset that he was bested, then proceeded to shoot his rifle into the bush, I am guessing in an attempt to scare away any potential quarry. Was a bit of a silly battle, and not one that should have happened in the first place...The first truck could have offered my friend a ride, they did know each other after all.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
he was pretty fat; i bet he is dead by now.....at the very least he probably has a bad case of the "beatus" (diabetes).....to bad.

the more i think about it, the more rage it breeds.........i havent thought about that incident for a long time. What an CSker

LOL. It actually seems to be worse now days from what I here. Don't go to far from home 1/4 now or neighbours land, but here some stories from folks. have not shot birds for a few years now. Should get back into it. Take Care and the best of luck this year.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:01 AM

I've never had a real problem. Had some guys set up closer than I thought appropriate when duck hunting, but I just held my tongue. Wasn't the end of the world. Other than that people have been pretty courteous and just moved on if I was there first, and vice versa.

I think it's all in the attitude. I was fishing up at Bear Pond a few weeks ago, went early, had the place to myself. Beautiful. Later a group of four came and I suddenly had guys ten yards to the left and right of me. I was sort of pizzed, then thought "Get over yourself. You don't own this stretch of shoreline" (there isn't that much clear shoreline on this pond). Started talking to the guy next to me. Nice guy, had a good chat and fishing became pleasant again. Wasn't their arrival that made things bad, it was my attitude. Change it and things get good.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:07 AM

Just one issue out hunting geese. I had permission, arrived and a truck full of three typical-looking douchebags were unloading decoys.

I told them I was going somewhere else, but that I knew they didn't have permission and I'd make sure that the landowner got a text about where they were set up. They didn't like that much, too bad.

I'm assuming they packed up, I didn't hear any shooting from that direction that morning.

Nothing better than throwing on a backpack and walking into the mountains with a rifle. I know pretty well I'm not actually going to shoot anything, but on the other hand I'm still hunting and nobody wants to fight me for the negligible game around, hahaha.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Had some guys . Wasn't their arrival that made things bad, it was my attitude. Change it and things get good.
x 2 for this. Years ago on my first deer hunt, my mentor took me to a large piece of land in S. AB that he had confirmed his permission for. We arrived well before sunlight, parked in the designed area and got our gear ready. We sat glassing and making a plan and then got started to head back into the property. 1/2 hour later a truck pulls up and 2 guys hop out. Once they gear up, they start glassing us and make a b-line straight for our location. We decide to stay put a and chat with them. I was ready for a big confrontation but my friend handled it very well. They came up a and were mad because they were under the impression that they were the only ones allowed on the land that day. We also had that same impression. There was talk of calling the landowner but in the end my buddy came up the compromise that there was enough land for all of us and we wanted to hunt a specific corner and that they could hunt the remaining 75%. In the end they agreed and we were both successful.
In this situation, with the wrong, entitled attitude, this could have gone south very quickly and I suspect the other hunters would have accommodated that. But civil interaction resulted in a successful and memorable day for everyone.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:52 AM

Solomon said
"A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. The tongue of the wise uses knowledge rightly, but the mouth of fools pours forth foolishness."
Seems to be true in all of the encounters mentioned and I'm sure many others, even some I've had myself.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:05 PM

Last fall my son and I were set up for ducks and awaiting first light. There were about 3-4 other groups of guys that came in after us and set up along the shore a reasonable distance apart. This spot is foot access only.
a half hour into the shooting some guy drives his truck down the shoreline behind us. Needless to say he had no respect for the others that were there already hunting.
I stood up in my blind and caught his attention and asked him what the heck he figured he was doing. He answered "looking for a spot". I told him that the birds were already flying and was about to go on from there but better judgment got the better of me and I just sat back down in the reeds. A guy like that wouldn't even understand.
kidd
Old 08-27-2015, 02:30 PM

Heard a good one from last year while driving to a hunting spot. A friend of mine (the passenger in my truck) was hunting with a couple of guys north of Athabasca. They walked back out to the road at around noon and were having a sandwich when a pick up truck with two guys in it rounds the corner about a mile down. Now apparently these guys were hauling *****. They slowed down and stopped where the trio was having lunch and proceeded to ask them if they had seen any game to which they all replied yes but not on the road. One of the guys in the trio asked the driver if he'd seen any thing to which he replied no. "Maybe you're driving to fast" said another. The driver says "I just drives er man and if something pops out, I jams on the binders and hopes for the best". So after that odd introduction the driver hauls out his phone and proceeds to show the trio all the animals he's taken over the last couple of years since moving to Alberta. The passenger, a large heavily bearded fellow just sat in truck and didn't say much. Once finished with mini slide show of all his hunting accomplishments he proceeds to start showing pictures of the animals his wife has taken, apparently she's a crack shot and never misses. After a few pictures in he reverts back to how great of a shot his wife is and at which point the youngest of the trio says to the driver "Well with a beard like that she better be a good shot" (at this point I had to pull over because I was in tears). The driver was speechless, he just looking at the trio trying to compute what the youngster had just said but it wasn't over, the young one then looked at the heavily bearded passenger and says "Looks like child birth was real hard on you". Needless to say that was the end of the roadside meet and greet.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:44 PM

I had a landowner's sister get all up in my face one year. I simply told her that her brother (used his name) knew I was there. She went off on me again about how she knew I was wrong, and she was going to check with him to prove it, etc. etc. She went up into the house, and never came back out. I expect she called him and found out I was right.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 08-27-2015, 03:23 PM
Gone Hunting

I was back in sunny Sask.3 years ago, and looking at one of my fields that was loaded with geese. A pickup just up the road came racing up to me and asked if I was going to be hunting that field in the morning. I told him that it was quite possible, seeing the number of birds. He questioned me whether I had permission, and in order to hunt the field one had to ask "the old guy" across the section. He had 5 other hunters that apparently had permission. I drove into the field the next morning, when the geese were flying. Buddy came racing over to me ripping me at least 6 new fart holes, telling me that I needed permission from the "old guy". I showed him the title to the land,(Dad had died in 2007) informing that my father had in fact passed away 4 years prior, and that I was the owner of the property. I gave them 15 minutes to clean up their spread of about 250 decoys before I would drive over the decoys and their blinds, regardless of who was in them. He was also informed that the neighbours who farmed 9000 acres next to mine, extended family who farm near 20,000 acres surrounding, along with several friends that I went to school would be informed of their behavior. I suggested that they perhaps head at least 30 miles away and really ask permission instead of bsing!!

He and his buddies headed out of there with their fafootniks limply between their legs!!!
Old 08-27-2015, 04:25 PM

My Cousin was hunting Mule deer with a friend down in Southern AB a few years ago, on the friends land. After shooting a 185 typical mulie, while they were gutting it a truck comes flying up, and a highly agitated fella gets out and starts screaming that they are on his land and that he has called the F&W and that they better start runnning because they have just shot his deer that he has been watching all summer, and he is going to start shooting at them. Apparently he did not recognize our friend at first, and when he stood up and said " This is my land Frank, I don't remember giving you permission to be on it" there was nothing but crickets as he got back in his truck and fishtailed it out of there.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flint&Fly Guy View Post
Solomon said
"A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. The tongue of the wise uses knowledge rightly, but the mouth of fools pours forth foolishness."
Seems to be true in all of the encounters mentioned and I'm sure many others, even some I've had myself.
Solomon probably got his ass kicked. A lot.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:14 PM

Only once. Goose hunting and setting decoys early in the morning. Got permission from one brother who owned the land. Other brother who he didn't get along with tried to kick us off. Got tense for a bit when a guide brother #2 had "leased" the land showed up to hut. Brother #1 saw all the headlights and came to see what was going on. The clients and us were treated to a real family row and had to physically separate the brothers. We split the field with the guide and we all had a decent shoot. Never went back though.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:53 PM

While hunting a cut line, a hunter walked in where we were hunting around lunchtime. I spoke with him, advising we planned on hunting the area all day, as we had been there since before first light. He ignored our plan to hunt that area, and walked in to our spot in front of us. While walking out a few hours later, my girlfriend and I were on the receiving end of two shots fired from the road, down the cut line we were walking up, from his and his friends trucks, when we were less than 150yd from the shooter - walking towards him.

Had anonymous threatening notes left on my truck while hunting public land, guys walking into my camp on public land and asking us why we were hunting their family territory, the list goes on.

It's part of hunting unfortunately, something to be dealt with.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flint&Fly Guy View Post
Solomon said
Thank you for reason.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep dog View Post
Solomon probably got his ass kicked. A lot.
Maybe