Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-28-2015, 07:08 AM

Default I am looking to purchase an Upland bird dog

I am looking at purchasing a dog within the next year or so, most likely a Brittany for pheasants.
Any ideas about training your own dog or contacts of a good blood line around Calgary?
Old 08-28-2015, 07:39 AM

You will get as many ideas about training, as there are dog owners. Look into Wildrose NAVHDA. My membership with them has been very helpful to me. Lots of great advice, activities, etc.

Not close to Calgary, but I got Schaffer from Prairiestorm Kennels (Saskatoon) and he's fantastic. Danielle was great to deal with, and definitely did a great job of pairing me up with my pup.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 08-28-2015, 08:09 AM

Smile I think Springerman has one

He is a dog guy and he should be able to help.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:34 AM

Could always go with a lab and get the standard all putpose mutt? Should be easier to find one with an off switch too
Old 08-28-2015, 08:59 AM

For a self training first timer a well bred dog will make the process smoother, Prairie Storm seems to come up often as “one of the good breeders” so worth a look. In the grand scheme of things the purchase price of the dog is merely a drop in the bucket.

X2 on participating with Wildrose and running the tests.

It does take time, my wife calls my dog “the other woman”
Old 08-28-2015, 10:40 AM

Default Ringneck Kennels

Maunty at Ringneck Kennels trained my GSP. He tends to prefer working with labs but will work with other dogs if they have the right temperament.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:59 AM

I bought Chesapeake from the top breeder in Alberta.....parents were both field and show champions.....sire flown in from Oregon to ensure pure blood lines. Cant remember name of kennel but it was based outta Rollyview, AB.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:31 PM

Maunty at RingNeck Kennels trained my GSP and did a faboulus job! As for species i recommend a GSP one of the best upland dogs i have seen.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:46 PM

If you want a great all around hunting dog with(as previously mentioned) an "off switch"....consider a lab from Wagging Tails north of Edmonton.
I have a chocolate lab from them and he is an unreal hunting dog, in spite of his trainer.
Also, when he is at home or in the truck, he is the most laid back dog I have ever owned or seen.
When it's go time, he's relentless, when it's home time, he more resembles a pillow that needs a wash, lol.

I really wish I didn't cut him, as I'd sure love to have one more of him.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Huntnfish View Post
I bought Chesapeake from the top breeder in Alberta.....parents were both field and show champions.....sire flown in from Oregon to ensure pure blood lines. Cant remember name of kennel but it was based outta Rollyview, AB.
That would be mallardsway. Unfortunately i would not classify them as 'the top breeder' in alberta. They breed show dogs and typically wont even sell to people looking to work the dogs. Not sure where you heard that from?
Old 08-28-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
Should be easier to find one with an off switch too
Hahaha...the crazy energy is one of the things that I love. At almost 13 months, my boy is starting to recognize when he can go full-bore and when he needs to contain his excitement for a little while (usually while whimpering quietly and dancing in place ).

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 08-30-2015, 06:24 AM

I chose to go with a GSP this time around, had labs in the past. I know Jeff at Champion Sporting Dogs is having puppies soon.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:52 AM

I grew up with labs , my son was so focused on getting a GSP fir his first dog however .
He got Louie from AO member on point, and he's a tremendous dog.
But, he's not a lab!
That being said, he's not my dog either!
If I were to get another dog ( haven't owned one in 30 years) it would be a lab
Cat
Old 08-30-2015, 11:50 PM

German Shorthair Pointer or the original more versatile version; Deutsche Kurzhaar
German Wiredhair Pointer or the original more versatile version, Deutsche Drahthaar
Britney Spaniel or the original version; Epagneul Briton
English Pointer
Cocker Spaniel
Setters

All these are great upland dogs and any advice will be very subjective.

I personally have a DD & love her. Yet I've also seen a lot of good work from all the aforementioned breeds.
Training is crucial to your dog's performance/success.

good luck
Old 08-31-2015, 07:54 AM

After hunting over GWPs for about five years, I have a deposit on a DD for the spring of 2016. My choice was based on the fact that I much prefer pointers to flushing dogs, and the GWPs seem more suitable to the colder conditions than the GSP.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
After hunting over GWPs for about five years, I have a deposit on a DD for the spring of 2016. My choice was based on the fact that I much prefer pointers to flushing dogs, and the GWPs seem more suitable to the colder conditions than the GSP.

I believe Jeff at Champion has a litter of wire hairs due this fall as well.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
Hahaha...the crazy energy is one of the things that I love. At almost 13 months, my boy is starting to recognize when he can go full-bore and when he needs to contain his excitement for a little while (usually while whimpering quietly and dancing in place ).
Mine stands in the bow of my canoe and shakes like he has epilepsy every time we come anywhere near ducks. It took me forever to cure him of his "need" to throw himself overboard at every bird, squirrel, bag or leaf. 50lbs of dog hurling himself out of a canoe at the drop of a hat can make things interesting.

That being said, I love my Britt, and I hear they calm down at about 17... and that energy comes in handy towards the end of the day when all the other dogs are fading.