Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-28-2015, 09:52 AM

Default Where to confirm land ownership?

Hey guys, second year hunting for me but still havent popped my cherry. Going to get out earlier this year and try for better luck.

I've got a couple of veteran hunters who have been awesome about sharing experiences and suggestions with me, thanks for that guys. That being said I am starting to scout out areas and aside from this guy saying oh that's crown land don't worry about it, or some other guy saying it's lease but it's cool, where can a hunter go to determine ownership of the area they are looking to hunt?

Probably been discussed a thousand times and sorry for yet another thread but I didnt see it.

Specifically my goal is to have something to fall back on if I'm on crown land etc or if I have permission from a leaseholder and can prove it's his lease.

Thanks in advance boys and stay safe out there this year.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:57 AM

Smile The county office

Buy the most recent map. The crown land won't have changed. Can you read these kinds of maps? Township and range? If not get a quick lesson from the guy who takes your money, he will be very good at it.

It's O.K. to ask him about landowners too, he will know all of them, where they live and sometimes if they give permission.

Get his business card.

Good luck.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:16 PM

Default Alberta Recreational access on public agricultural land.

Here is the website that has the leaseholder, and conditions map for grazing leases in alberta. If you know your area you should be able to figure out who's leases are whose, and what not. It doesn't show private land though, but it is still helpful for sure.

https://maps.srd.alberta.ca/RecAcces...ewer=RecAccess
Old 08-28-2015, 01:09 PM

Thanks guys that rocks. I also used http://municipalaffairs.gov.ab.ca/mc_boundary_maps

to print out land designation maps, lease and owner maps. Just trying to do my part to be respondible. Going to head out the next couple of weekends and do some scouting and talk to and land owners in the area let them know I'll be around on my hunting weekends.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:37 PM

each county office has a landowner map available to purchase too. crown land and leased crown are shown on these as well
Old 08-28-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
each county office has a landowner map available to purchase too. crown land and leased crown are shown on these as well
Not all counties indicate lease land being separate from other crown lands. The county I go to hunt in has always indicated lease lands in the past but their most recent map has no indicators for lease land. The most reliable source would be the recaccess online map.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:11 AM

Depending on the county, iHunter Alberta app has about 15 land owner county maps built in ($15 each I think). They also have the same info as the ESRD lease land site (again, it costs money but don't recall how much). As long as they have the county you are interested in, I would never buy another paper map. Seeing your location on the landowner map is invaluable in my opinion.