Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-01-2015, 11:30 PM

Default moose calls! Homemade, store bought, cupped hands!!!

I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death but new calls come out all the time and I didn't find much through a 10 page search here.

Any advice on good calls worth purchasing or ones to stay away from?

I've never really gotten into calling anything but I got my moose draw in 336 and I need every advantage I can get. It's time I put in the time.

Lol. My elk bugling sucks too but that's another search and potential thread for another year.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:46 PM

Rule #1: watch your 6. You might call in something that likes to eat moose.

Rule #2: call loudly from a hill/rise/open spot at last light. Go back to the same spot in the am, approach carefully from downwind, and call softly at first...very often a moose will be close. This is about as old school as it gets. Worked for me last year.

I've called in several moose just with voice/cupped hands. Most guides I've seen on TV do the same. Moose may try to circle downwind of you, so position yourself accordingly. Supposedly the cones help sound carry farther and you can use the plastic ones to rake brush. Personally, the less stuff I have to carry, the better. Moose aren't hard to call. Don't overthink it.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Rule #1: watch your 6. You might call in something that likes to eat moose.

Rule #2: call loudly from a hill/rise/open spot at last light. Go back to the same spot in the am, approach carefully from downwind, and call softly at first...very often a moose will be close. This is about as old school as it gets. Worked for me last year.

I've called in several moose just with voice/cupped hands. Most guides I've seen on TV do the same. Moose may try to circle downwind of you, so position yourself accordingly. Supposedly the cones help sound carry farther and you can use the plastic ones to rake brush. Personally, the less stuff I have to carry, the better. Moose aren't hard to call. Don't overthink it.
I second number 1. I called in a big cougar 2 years ago, didn't even hear him come in. Didn't notice him til he was 20 yards away from me.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 08-02-2015, 10:09 AM

Good points. I'm thinking my boy will be an extra set of eyes with me as much as possible. Nothing makes my hair stand up on the back of my neck like a cat.
I've encountered a few of them.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:34 AM

I use birch bark call for long distance and cupped hands for most calling. Rattling can be very effective in areas with lots of moose!
Old 08-02-2015, 11:11 AM

I was thinking of picking up one of those kc fiberglass horns, I've now read some good things about. I would like to get a good birchbark one eventually but I want to start practicing ASAP and not sure where to find one in short notice. I'll be keeping my eyes open for a shed as well but I think in the meantime a paddle or a stick is what I'll be using for rattling.

I'm pretty darn excited about this. I've only shot deer so far. I'll be heading out with my bow on sept 1 and at the very least I'll have a solid game plan for the rut.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:29 AM

Canadian tire has these sometimes.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:11 PM

Just use my use my cupped hands to call moose, if there's no wind the call will travel a long way. And yes, watch your back, I've had wolves come in to moose calls more than once. Things can go from boring to very exciting extremely fast!
Old 08-02-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357xp View Post
Just use my use my cupped hands to call moose, if there's no wind the call will travel a long way. And yes, watch your back, I've had wolves come in to moose calls more than once. Things can go from boring to very exciting extremely fast!

That's how the FIL does it, but he swears by putting the index fingers in his nose while he's cupping his hands. Says it cuts out the nasally parts of the call
Old 08-02-2015, 04:35 PM

... or you could make your own.

http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=188551
Old 08-02-2015, 05:10 PM

My dad has called more than a few moose and he swears by just using his cupped hands. His success is hard to argue with. But the birchbark cones work great to. Do whatever u feel most comfortable using.

Gilly
Old 08-02-2015, 06:50 PM

Coffee can and a wet shoe lace .

Grizz
Old 08-03-2015, 07:18 AM
Gone Hunting

First.

Think of a young fellow cruising the local bars for women. Don't take much to get his attention, right ?

Moose are kinda the same way only a lot easier to fool. I suspect most of us would be too if we only had one month a year to get lucky.

That being said, knowing when, where and how to call are not learned in one day. If this is your first try for Moose it would probably be best to choose the simplest call available. One that makes sound. Most callers are simply ways to direct and concentrate sound. They don't make any sound themselves.

Probably the most effective sound producing call and the simplest to learn and use is the string and can call.

Don't worry about how far your call will reach. Getting more distance is more myth then reality. Birch Bark horns and similar calls were more about imparting a depth to the sound and directing the sound then about increasing range.

Fact is a Moose has remarkable hearing. Far better then any humans.
If your buddy 100 yards away can hear you I'll guarantee that a Moose can hear you from a mile away, if the terrain allows. Not only will it hear you but it will know within a few yards, exactly where you are.

No matter what you do I would encourage you to obtain some sources of real Moose calling that you can listen too. And listen to it while trying to mimic what you hear, just using your cupped hands. Practice practice practice.

One last thing. Grunt calls are only one part of Moose communication.
They also rake trees with their antlers as part of their communications.
Even their foot steps come into play.

Some times it takes no more then a chain saw to call in one Moose. At other times one missing sound or sound that doesn't belong can spook them.
Point is, don't give up because you think you aren't doing it exactly right.

Remember the young buck cruising the bars. You will never fool all of the Moose all of the time but you only have to fool one once to fill your tag.

The best advice has already been given. Check your call location the next day if possible. Even if you don't hear anything of interest.

Only the dominant bulls will come in like gang busters.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-03-2015, 07:39 AM
Gone Hunting

^^^^ great advice Keg!
Old 08-03-2015, 09:10 AM

Thanks for all the great advice guys!

I have been lent a moose madness video and have had it on in the background when unable to watch it. Listening to how they sound over and over and over again. Ha. Pretty soon I'll be saying "yes dear". Hahahah.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:27 PM
Gone Hunting

As mentioned before, call at several corner lines on your way out of the bush to camp, returning to the spots the next morning. I have had good success returning to where I called the evening before, calling again in the morning, and within minutes have had some decent bulls come out on the line right handy. Shot them on the line. Minimal work!!! They must have been p'd off because the lady was being coy by not being there!! Pretty rambunctious the next morning, to say the least.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:29 PM

Use your hands. They're easy to carry, you usually have them along and you know where they've been ! Well. that last one might not be a positive but....you get the idea !
Old 08-03-2015, 03:45 PM

I like to use a rolled up chunk of Krazy Karpet. Good tone and weatherproof. Can jam it into a quad box and is light to carry. Works great to rub on alders. Sounds almost as good as a real rack.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:48 PM

Cupped hands and an old scapula from an elk/moose.

Mix up your calls, long whinny calls are usually when a cow has an suitor she does not want, shorter high to low in pitch is a real horny cow who is looking for love and short loud calls are when she has the bull you want and she is saying he has to stay and you to take a hike, and all the variation in between.....

Change your pitch and length and do not over call, bulls can hear a long way away and although they might not answer, they can hear you. Best thing to do is get out in an morning or evening and just listen....you will be surprised at the amount of noise cows and bulls make.

Tools of the trade

Cheers

SS
Old 08-03-2015, 08:52 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
Tools of the trade

Cheers

SS

A model 99 a wallow and a shoulder blade !!

Classic old school !! I LOVE IT !!!

Is it a 300 or a 308, if I may ask ?

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-04-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang_on_sk View Post
That's how the FIL does it, but he swears by putting the index fingers in his nose while he's cupping his hands. Says it cuts out the nasally parts of the call
Same here... Works for me.

I love to experiment - going to try the coffee can sometime, and am thinking of making one of those paddles like L'homme Panache (Rackman) uses, just for funsies.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:38 AM
Banned

My favorite is the birch bark horn,but I've called moose with cupped hands just as often or more?
Other horn material alternatives that are inexpensive or free,and compact/foldable....rolled up tarpaper or a traffic cone.....if you can find one made of softer material it can be rolled/folded up into your pack or coat pocket.Another nice thing about horn type calls is you can use it to imitate a moose urinating in a beaver pond,a trick that can come in handy to seal the deal with a more subtle technique when that bull hangs up out of sight and won't come in the last few yards needed for a shot.
Raking with a dry moose,elk,or cattle scapula is a favorite tactic,I'd suggest visiting a butcher ASAP to get a cow shoulder and let it dry in the summer sun as much as possible before moose season is upon us.
An old dry canoe paddle makes a great tree raker as well,allows you to really whack the trees with authority.They can sound amazingly realistic against the proper trees and the sound carries very well albeit a bit cumbersome to lug around,but can double as a walking stick and/or monopod shooting stick also.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
A model 99 a wallow and a shoulder blade !!

Classic old school !! I LOVE IT !!!

Is it a 300 or a 308, if I may ask ?
Thanks!!!

300 savage, 180 gr RN as shot are a long way at 50 yards max......

Cheers

SS
Old 08-04-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
Use your hands. They're easy to carry, you usually have them along and you know where they've been ! Well. that last one might not be a positive but....you get the idea !
2x