Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-30-2015, 09:48 PM

Default Tips for hunting cow moose in November?

I was lucky enough to draw my first moose this year - a cow in zone 316 during November. This zone wasn't my first choice, but I still know it fairly well and I'm excited! I'm wondering if anyone is willing to offer tips or advice of any kind when it comes to hunting cows this late in the season.

I've come across moose in the bush before when hunting (or scouting) for elk and deer, but this seems to have been mostly by chance. I don't really know the best strategy for hunting cows, especially once the snow is on the ground.

Thanks in advance for any advice you're willing to give a fellow hunter!‎
Old 07-30-2015, 09:59 PM

Snow means tracks. It also means food source unavailability in some circumstances.

Check fields in October for remnants of crops. Find the food sources. Willow is always a good choice. Lots of it.

You need to scout fields and see what is left behind. Alfalfa, clover.

Early mornings have been my best times for seeing cow calf pairs, or lone cows.

Hope this helps
Old 07-30-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Snow means tracks. It also means food source unavailability in some circumstances.

Check fields in October for remnants of crops. Find the food sources. Willow is always a good choice. Lots of it.

You need to scout fields and see what is left behind. Alfalfa, clover.

Early mornings have been my best times for seeing cow calf pairs, or lone cows.

Hope this helps
Aside from the eastern edge of it, 316 doesn't have a lot of crop action. Snow and tracks is right though. Big country that has a lot of ATV restrictions. Be prepared to hoof it. There's a reason that most animals there have been offered on a general tag (or easy draw) for many years. The animals are there but you really have to work for them.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 07-31-2015, 05:09 AM

This is one zone that I've seen a lot of cow moose, and not one bull. Everyone one I've seen have been out towards the trunk road by burnt timber. I'm sure you'll be fine, just go for a walk and enjoy the hunt.

Kevin
Old 07-31-2015, 05:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Just hang out in and around the food sources that have tracks, carry a whitetail tag too
November moose we just kinda hunt deer in and around the moose area concentrating on the hunt and the animal is a bonus. Son shot his first moose ever after a rattling sequence for whitetail, shortly after a moose walked out and ended up in the freezer

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-31-2015, 07:25 AM

The nice thing about November moose is the leaves are of the trees and makes seeing in the bush much easier.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:17 AM

We got ours after we got stuck. Making enough noise to wake the dead. Guess she was just wondering what are these dumb $*its doing and came in to twenty yards to have a look? Good luck 316 is a great zone and always seems the more the boots hit the ground the better quality and quantity seems to get.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:00 PM

Thanks for the input, guys! I'm really against "road hunting" and love to push the bush, so I think 316 might be the zone for me.

Any advice on which bullet I should use in my 300wsm? I have a box of 165 grain TTSX that I can push around 3000 FPS, and I just loaded some looong 180 grain coppers as well that shoot around 2800. I also have a couple boxes of factory Federal Fusion ammo in 180 grain that has been deadly on deer, but I've never shot anything as large as a moose.‎
Old 08-03-2015, 04:16 PM

If I were in your shoes Tikka, I would look for any burned over (6-18 months) or logged areas and spend an inordinate amount of time there....recent snow should be all you need to confirm activity.

Do you have some time for pre-season scouting?
Old 08-04-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka300wsm View Post
Thanks for the input, guys! I'm really against "road hunting" and love to push the bush, so I think 316 might be the zone for me.

Any advice on which bullet I should use in my 300wsm? I have a box of 165 grain TTSX that I can push around 3000 FPS, and I just loaded some looong 180 grain coppers as well that shoot around 2800. I also have a couple boxes of factory Federal Fusion ammo in 180 grain that has been deadly on deer, but I've never shot anything as large as a moose.‎
lol. Pick one. Which one have you shot the most/does your gun like the best? Personally I'd go with a copper bullet of some sort.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:34 PM

I've used 180gr Federal Fusion on moose a few times now. Did a fine job on putting them down. None made it more then 20 yards from where they got shot.