Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-30-2015, 08:17 PM

Calvin, an open bolt policy for what exactly? Pictures? Walking? Lunching? Sleeping? Not only that, but unless the magazine is empty that rifle is loaded as soon as someone closes the bolt. My procedure is to watch the bolt close on an empty chamber, point it in a safe direction and dry fire the rifle. Double checked. Safe.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-30-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Gutting and skinning photos are awesome. It shows that hunters really do more with the animal than just kill it.

From the root to the fruit, show it all.

The only concern I have is with gun handling. I was taught to NEVER point a firearm at a person, except for in self defence. I am pretty sure that hunter education teaches us the same thing. NEVER point a firearm at a person, even if you "know" it is unloaded, and even when the bolt is open. I feel that hunting pictures that do or give the impression of a firearm pointed at a person should not be promoted as being acceptable, unless to give a lesson for what Not to do.
I agree with WB. I also believe the OP probably chose his words incorrectly when he used the word "peeve", but come on, is there anything wrong with making a safety comment? Perhaps eliminating the comments about blood, guts and the tongue and making this a safety discussion would not have hit a nerve with so many. We were all taught never to point a rifle at anyone, including yourself...full stop! Nothing wrong with that statement.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:00 PM

I like a little reality as well. Oh and the rifle in the background might actually be loaded. Grizzly country. They like blood as well as I understand it.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-30-2015, 09:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I like a little reality as well. Oh and the rifle in the background might actually be loaded. Grizzly country. They like blood as well as I understand it.

Now thats a picture !!!!!

Suuuweeetness !!!!!

Yes yes
loaded is best for protection
Old 07-30-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post

You even took the rib meat! No one can accuse you of being wasteful, but why did you leave the tripe behind???
Old 07-30-2015, 09:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
If someone I hunted with started to critique me on what I do or don't do I wouldn't be hunting with them again! As long as I know the state of my weapon, what anyone else thinks doesn't matter a tinkers damn.
Yeup
Real friends know what each other is doing.

Just dont pee on the fire please.....ooooo stinky
Old 07-30-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
You even took the rib meat! No one can accuse you of being wasteful, but why did you leave the tripe behind???
I just hadn't got to it yet.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-30-2015, 09:17 PM

The heart was ruined.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-30-2015, 09:21 PM
Banned

Thats shot placement proof at its finest
Old 07-30-2015, 10:22 PM

I like how those solid coppers work...TSX?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-31-2015, 06:38 AM

What a stupid thread
Old 07-31-2015, 07:48 AM

Reminds me of a long-standing back-and-forth an old friend of mine had with Rob in the AO Magazine editorials regarding hunting photos that showed the hunter sitting atop his quarry.

My friend insisted that this was showing disrespect to the animal.

Rob would usually include a photo of someone sitting astride an animal in his rebuttals.

My point is, a factor in our preferences can be based on culture. My friend came from a highly-structured European hunting background, and that had been very formative in the views he held during his entire life.

Man, I miss him.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:18 AM
Banned

My first ever elk upon moving to AB 4yrs ago.
The "action" is open....errr...maybe it's closed??
Arrrrgggg...I can't tell?
My apologies Calvin.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:48 PM

Nice picture grinr!
Old 08-01-2015, 02:23 PM

That heart shot looks awesome. Heart ruined, or just opened up and ready for a pulled "pork" crock pot recipe?
Beauty elk there grinr. I think the action is... open?
Old 08-01-2015, 07:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
Nice picture grinr!
Thx...maybe a candidate for the "favorite hunting photo" thread,it's one of my faves?
Old 08-01-2015, 07:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
That heart shot looks awesome. Heart ruined, or just opened up and ready for a pulled "pork" crock pot recipe?
Beauty elk there grinr. I think the action is... open?
Lol....actually it's on half cock and empty,but in hindsight,if I had known how common grizzlies were in that area it would've been loaded and cocked while field dressing by myself,haha.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:30 PM
Banned

Default /

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
Yup. I leave my bolt closed all the time. No need to Prove to YOU that she's unloalded. It's a darn picture. I imagine ur undies get all bunched reading a gun magazine? That must be pure Torture for you!?

some of you seem to miss the point. No Ramonmark you do not need to prove anything to me about anything you do. My point is i have seen time and time again field photos with the rifle bolts in a closed position. In my opinion those rifles are loaded and should be treated as such. you are done hunting and should not need to have that bolt closed. thats all I am saying and was just trying to get a bit of advice to a new hunter. It seemed that i got through to a couple of fellow hunters but a couple of you need to take a yoga class to calm down.

I personally have the solo hunter gun sock and its an easy sock to remove when you need to. Its also easy to put on after you are done hunting and have 'unloaded' your firearm and put in truck or wherever you happen to be. it keeps everything clean and dry. And yes i do get quite p:ssy when i see outdoor magazines with pics of hunters with closed bolts on their rifles. I recently was reading a Western Sportsman with a focus on youth hunting. many of the field photos showed young people with rifles (bolts closed) in one hand and a dead animal in the other. safety starts with you and hopefully doesn't end poorly. I am not one to talk as I previously was a very poor example. we had an incident with a supposed unloaded rifle and since then I have a TOTAL BOLT OPEN policy.
Man , you must really freak out when you go to bass pro and see all them guns on the shelf with closed bolts , wow.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:46 PM

You did the best that you could Calvin. Evidently most of the members on this thread couldn't give a rat's end about someone reminding them of muzzle control and proving an empty firearm.

I hunt alone or with one or two close friends who know how to handle firearms. If a person places himself anywhere near the front of a muzzle of a firearm that doesn't have an open action, they aren't hunting or shooting with me.

Thank you for posting this important firearm safety message!
Old 08-02-2015, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
Thx...maybe a candidate for the "favorite hunting photo" thread,it's one of my faves?
Hell yes. That picture is worthy of being framed.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorhunter View Post
You did the best that you could Calvin. Evidently most of the members on this thread couldn't give a rat's end about someone reminding them of muzzle control and proving an empty firearm.

I hunt alone or with one or two close friends who know how to handle firearms. If a person places himself anywhere near the front of a muzzle of a firearm that doesn't have an open action, they aren't hunting or shooting with me.

If you are with me in person, muzzle control and proving the firearm are important. If you're on the other side of a picture however, you're right, I don't give a rat's ass.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
I truly enjoy reading stories of animals taken and also love to see the pics that go along with them. The one thing I see time and time again is a picture of a happy hunter, maybe his friend or guide sharing the same excitement of an animal taken. But the one thing that p:ss:s me off more is the rifle that was used in the hunt is sitting there with the bolt closed. More often than not it is pointed right at one of the guys head in the picture. Please for the love of significant other, unload the gun properly and keep that DARN bolt open for everyone to see that it is unloaded. I don't give a rats :ss how careful you say are, if that bolt is closed on those rifles, you cannot 100% guarantee me that it is not live. Also while you are at it, rub a little snow on its nose to clean up the blood a bit and please shove that dangling tongue back in its mouth or cut it off, put it in your jacket pocket and forget for a month or so that it's in there. Also try to smile, they're free.
Yeup
keep that bolt open and unloaded so that the grizzly can see there is no real threat as he comes in to feed

Bolt closed and loaded when working on the kill !!!

My Safety first !!!!!

Time and experience is the best teacher calvin.
Take notes here
Old 08-02-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorhunter View Post

Your welcome Gator, i am with you on the safety thing. Experience and time will teach you alot, that is where I am at right now. I fully understand the hunting in grizzly areas, I do the same thing. My only twist is that i wait for a hunting partner to come and stand guard while i process game. my hunting successes shows that i do not have to do that very often, lol. i just think that a little show of respect in terms on the bolt open on a bolt action, action broke open on single shots like a TC contender or an over/under shows a bit of respect to fellow hunters. a comment made by a lot of people and I do not know the answer to is why gun stores store their guns with the actions closed. i have a blazing memory as a child of an old guy that hunted worldwide and used to have school visits in his basement. He had a gun rack that held if i recall, probably close to 25 Weatherby's, i vividly remember him saying that he stored his guns in an upright position with the actions open. he was asked why and his words still in my mind. Unless i grab this gun and drop it on my foot, this gun with the action open will not hurt a single thing. he then grabbed a particular gun off the rack and said that this gun in has put a lot of these mounts on these walls. But unloaded like this, and everyone can see it. It ain't gonna hurt nothing. i have remembered that and have taught that to my kids and nothing will change my mind on that.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:34 AM
Banned

Most of the guys posting on this thread have more experience both in the field and with firearms than qualified instructors. Calling their field antics a pet peeve will garner some negative reactions. Unless you were there when the picture was taken, and know for a fact the firearm wasn't checked, all your doing is insulting people.

Firearm safety is so big with my family that I missed an opportunity at the same buck twice in one day because the safety was on. (I did get him in the end though ).

The point is, you're accusing men of acting like children, of course you're going to get a reaction. Maybe it's best to assume the rifle has been checked and just enjoy the field photos.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:39 PM

You're reading a lot of stuff that wasn't written in these posts about firearm safety. You're also assuming A LOT by saying that most members in this thread have more field and firearm experience than qualified instructors. Field and firearm experience aren't worth squat if it translates into poor practices.

Anyone feeling insulted by the op are probably seeing themselves in mirror.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:54 PM

Default Ummmm.......

Hey gator and the haters, maybe the bullet that killed the animal is spent and in the chamber. That work? Post the pics boys, join Calvin at a crazy gun safety BBQ shall you?

Pics however u like, muzzle direction is important but a spent shell is safer than an open chamber. BAM>
Old 08-02-2015, 06:13 PM
Banned

Oh boy. Besides focusing and ensuring the right composition of any picture, I must relate back to this thread. Surely wouldn't want to upset the masses. A hunting trip is no longer that simple. It must include spectacular photography and good composition. Of course, making the hunting experience secondary. It all needs to be re-visited. Done it wrong all these years. Excuse me, while I need some schooling. Most of the posters here can't spell nor use proper punctuation and grammar. However, we need to be schooled in photography...New York style. Laughable.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Your welcome Gator, i am with you on the safety thing. Experience and time will teach you alot, that is where I am at right now. I fully understand the hunting in grizzly areas, I do the same thing. My only twist is that i wait for a hunting partner to come and stand guard while i process game. my hunting successes shows that i do not have to do that very often, lol. i just think that a little show of respect in terms on the bolt open on a bolt action, action broke open on single shots like a TC contender or an over/under shows a bit of respect to fellow hunters. a comment made by a lot of people and I do not know the answer to is why gun stores store their guns with the actions closed. i have a blazing memory as a child of an old guy that hunted worldwide and used to have school visits in his basement. He had a gun rack that held if i recall, probably close to 25 Weatherby's, i vividly remember him saying that he stored his guns in an upright position with the actions open. he was asked why and his words still in my mind. Unless i grab this gun and drop it on my foot, this gun with the action open will not hurt a single thing. he then grabbed a particular gun off the rack and said that this gun in has put a lot of these mounts on these walls. But unloaded like this, and everyone can see it. It ain't gonna hurt nothing. i have remembered that and have taught that to my kids and nothing will change my mind on that.
most modern firearms with the exception of 95/96 mausers cock on opening so leaving the bolt open when stored as you say your old friend did and in the stores would stretch the firing pin spring over time . I cant see how that would be good for them , calvin me thinks you opened your mouth and inserted your foot its probably time to let it go ??
Old 08-02-2015, 06:22 PM

Default ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Oh boy. Besides focusing and ensuring the right composition of any picture, I must relate back to this thread. Surely wouldn't want to upset the masses. A hunting trip is no longer that simple. It must include spectacular photography and good composition. Of course, making the hunting experience secondary. It all needs to be re-visited. Done it wrong all these years. Excuse me, while I need some schooling. Most of the posters here can't spell nor use proper punctuation and grammar. However, we need to be schooled in photography...New York style. Laughable.
We are all not that dialed in grammatically on AO?

See above. Re-visited. Should read-"revisited". Hahahahaha. Awe in awesome!

DID it wrong all these years, not done. Pssssst, past tense. ; )

Hope your pictures are proper GITURDUN.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
We are all not that dialed in grammatically on AO?

See above. Re-visited. Should read-"revisited". Hahahahaha. Awe in awesome!

DID it wrong all these years, not done. Pssssst, past tense. ; )

Hope your pictures are proper GITURDUN.
I thank you for correcting my "faux pas". Google or Wikipedia must have taken a mere 30 seconds to accomplish your efforts. I left a mistake in there for your research. LOL, find it.