Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-23-2014, 09:18 PM

Default ION Electric Ice Auger

Due to a shoulder problem, I've been having some trouble pulling the starter cord on my old Jiffy... It still runs good, etc. but a sore shoulder takes the fun out of using it, so I bought an electric auger. I was a little skeptical......reviews on it were all excellent, but it's hard to imagine an electric auger having the power of a gas auger. Well, this thing is the real deal...cuts through ice like it's butter. I've used it 4 times now. The company says it will cut 40 holes through 2 feet of ice on one charge...it will do that and then some. My old ice fishing buddy was up last week and we went out.... He was pretty skeptical of it too, but I couldn't get it out of his hands...he wanted to cut all the holes!! There's no mess...no gas to mix, no yanking on the pull cord, it's light and it's quiet, etc... I think they are going to make gas powered augers obsolete.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:40 PM

Ya, they do cut ok, I always forget to plug my cameras in, so I could not imagine having this lol

Oh, btw, hold on tight...... I see this thread picking up speed quickly .... Lol lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-23-2014, 09:43 PM

After dicking around with gas augers for the last decade I'm in the same boat, I'm going the ion route too! I'm going to wait a bit yet and maybe get a bit better price in spring. But talking with a gentleman who had one yesterday the thing is awesome. This dude had a 10" blade rigged up on his and it was pretty cool said he could only get about 25-28 holes on the 10" on a single charge but like most vehicles has a 115w outlet and the battery charges in like 2hrs.

If you don't have a truck or seperate place to keep your auger then this thing is the way to go.... No stinking up your car/SUV.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:15 PM

Nothing beats the torque of an electric. I've had my Icegator for a few years now and it's still running great with the 8" Finbore blade. It doesn't shave the ice like many gas augers, it is like drilling into the ice a big 8" ice screw.

I've love to see how the Ion's compare now with my old Icegator as I didn't have that option a few years ago. By the sounds of it, there are many satisfied users. I think the first generation Ion's had a few issues but that is usually the case with anything new.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:42 PM
Banned

The day I get an electric auger is the day I will lose my manhood. They have there purpose. Not for me though. I like knowing that my auger will always be able to punch holes as many as I want in any temperature. Battery = unreliability Gas = reliability. My two cents
Old 01-24-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binnzer32 View Post
The day I get an electric auger is the day I will lose my manhood. They have there purpose. Not for me though. I like knowing that my auger will always be able to punch holes as many as I want in any temperature. Battery = unreliability Gas = reliability. My two cents
x2 , My exact thoughts,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-24-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I have seen many a person standing on the ice Pulling the rope on the ice auger a swearing like a sailer. These little two stroke engines are not 100% reliable gummed carbs, fouled plug. Most people look after them (maintanence) and they work forever, some dont.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:10 AM

I used an ION over the Xmas holidays and while it wasn't exactly an acid test (wasn't that cold out and didn't drill too many holes) I was very impressed. Had I not just bought a new gas auger and a new house I would be getting one this spring.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
I've love to see how the Ion's compare now with my old Icegator as I didn't have that option a few years ago. By the sounds of it, there are many satisfied users. I think the first generation Ion's had a few issues but that is usually the case with anything new.
This might give you an idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1ChMsOpOlQ
Old 01-24-2014, 10:33 AM

My Jiffy has served me very well for many, many years but like I said.......I have a problem with my shoulder/clavical. My collarbone pops out of joint at the sternum, so yanking on a pull cord just kicks my butt.... These "Golden Years" aren't all they're cracked up to be!

If it's so cold that a gas auger won't start, I really don't want to be out on the ice. If people enjoying messing with gas and oil, tinkering with carbs, yanking on pull cords, swearing, spills in your pickup, etc. then by all means stay with the gas powered auger.

If people really want to show their manhood, leave the augers at home and cut holes with an ice chisel. That's all we had when I was a kid. I used to chisel holes for other people for $.10/hole. As a matter of fact, I still bring a chisel as a backup. A couple years ago I went ice fishing for the first outing of the year and when I got to the lake, the fuel line had cracked on my auger, so I cut a bunch of holes with the chisel. Cut a dozen holes through 2 feet of a ice with a chisel and you won't have to worry about being cold!
Old 01-24-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBadass View Post
x2 , My exact thoughts,
Afraid you have that backwards guys, lots of gas augers wont start, don't start out there. Reliability goes to electric

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Afraid you have that backwards guys, lots of gas augers wont start, don't start out there. Reliability goes to electric
x2

when my old jiffy finally croaks im going with the ION....ive been impressed by it too many times now on the lake to buy another gas auger
Old 01-24-2014, 12:05 PM

I have used an IceGator once before and was astounded at the performance. The only downside I would suggest is the battery replacement. On the Ion, a guy can swap out a battery in seconds. Not so fast on the gator.

The gator may be faster, but the edge goes to Ion for the quick battery changes.

I am seriously considering one of these, mainly to remove gasoline from the equation. Over the course of 5 years, the price in gasoline will amount to the cost of several spare batteries.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:

The caliber of people on here has gone majorly down hill. Implying someone is a lesser man because he can't pull his auger over, really??

He has a shoulder injury FFS!

A friend from work has an ion and he loves it, hasn't had any complaints but reccomends keeping the battery in the truck rather than in the box for the drive

Last edited by foxracing_23; 01-24-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:37 PM
Banned

I am sorry I gave my opinion, also Sorry in use sarcasm and have a sense of humor... if you can actually read fox racing you will see I noted they have there uses , but not for me. There uses obviously are for ppl with injuries, smaller vehicles, etc etc. I didn't know I had to Spell out my opinion for you. All I was saying is that I will stick to gas with a manual back up as its done me well. And apology to the fella with the bad shoulder, I never had money and have chiseled and even crow bared tons of holes. Next time I give my opinion I will not use sarcasm or humor as it appeases some of the softies on here that read chatelaine take offence. My bad sorry.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxracing_23 View Post
A friend from work has an ion and he loves it, hasn't had any complaints but reccomends keeping the battery in the truck rather than in the box for the drive
I will agree with that. I got an ION for Christmas...while I've only had the chance to use it twice, it really is a sweet auger. Quiet, no fumes. QUite happy with it.

But for sure keep the battery warm.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
I have used an IceGator once before and was astounded at the performance. The only downside I would suggest is the battery replacement. On the Ion, a guy can swap out a battery in seconds. Not so fast on the gator.

The gator may be faster, but the edge goes to Ion for the quick battery changes.

I am seriously considering one of these, mainly to remove gasoline from the equation. Over the course of 5 years, the price in gasoline will amount to the cost of several spare batteries.
I did get spare batteries for my Gator and all it takes is to unscrew two long thumbscrews to change out but the Ion is still faster. However, I can just go down to any battery shop and pick up some standard UPS batteries to replace the ones in the Gator which is very convenient.

That video comparison is pretty good, be nice to see the comparison with the same blade though. My Gator does cut through the ice just as fast as the video though.

Don't understand how people think that the gas augers are more reliable though. I have seen and heard people numerous times on the ice trying to start their augers in non extreme temperatures. Usually by the time they start it, I'm done my third hole. A electric is much simpler than a gas motor, it is just basically an electric motor attached to a chain and gear.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:12 AM
Banned

had a chance to use the ion auger a week ago and really liked it.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post

I doubt you'd be drilling enough holes in a day to need to change batteries on a gator...
Old 01-27-2014, 02:30 PM

I recently bought the Ion Electric Ice Auger.

My situation is that I will be travelling to lakes in a mini-van. I have 5 kids (the oldest is only 12) and the older 3 will be coming on fishing trips with me. In addition, my brother and his kids will come as well.

The logistics of this setup is difficult as it is (getting everything and everyone set up, drilling holes, setting up lines for the kids, etc.), for simplicity and ease the ion is a good fit for me. As the auger will be transported in the van, I don't want to deal with fumes and fuel spills which I can damage the interior of the van as well as our lungs.

From what I have read and heard, this is a quality auger with great performance. I will be taking it out for the first time this weekend. I will be able to give a more accurate report then.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:12 PM

I've said this before, it's my second season with mine. It has done everything I have asked of it. I have challenged it w/ 30+ holes per day, trips on multiple days of 2 or 3 holes but no charging in between and even a day where it was left overnight in my SUV @-20. Still no let downs.

How long will the battery last? Dunno but with poor treatment like anything else not too long.
How long will your new plastic component gas drill last? Dunno but with poor treatment like anything else not too long.

Plain and simple it works, will it win the Indy 500 of ice drilling? I dunno and I don't care. It works for me and that's enough.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyof5 View Post
I recently bought the Ion Electric Ice Auger.

My situation is that I will be travelling to lakes in a mini-van. I have 5 kids (the oldest is only 12) and the older 3 will be coming on fishing trips with me. In addition, my brother and his kids will come as well.

The logistics of this setup is difficult as it is (getting everything and everyone set up, drilling holes, setting up lines for the kids, etc.), for simplicity and ease the ion is a good fit for me. As the auger will be transported in the van, I don't want to deal with fumes and fuel spills which I can damage the interior of the van as well as our lungs.

From what I have read and heard, this is a quality auger with great performance. I will be taking it out for the first time this weekend. I will be able to give a more accurate report then.
For the described usage, you'll love it.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwackwabbit View Post
For the described usage, you'll love it.
X2
Old 01-28-2014, 09:37 AM

It works great just keep your battery warm.

That's my only gripe with the battery is the loss of power when -15 and left out of a vehicle or tent.

I am thinking of using an old camera bag and a throwing a hand warmer in it. For the days I don't set up the shelter and walk of skidoo.