Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-26-2021, 08:39 PM
Banned

Old 08-26-2021, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoteStopper View Post
Well, I'm going to try keto for a while. Need to loose a bunch of weight and improve overall health. Any recomendations for books, meal planning help etc?
I bought a couple of books at the beginning of the journey, read them. Yes, useful, but marginally so. Some either go too deep into science, others are really show paced, usually full of personal references or examples. I found even skimming articles on the web/youtube gives you better, newer info compared to books.

Raid your fridge and pantry and throw away (give away, donate... whatever is applicable) all processed meat, all legumes, all bread, all potatoes, all pasta, sugars, etc... Thinking "nah, I'm just not gonna use it" will not work. If you're still a milk drinker - gonna have to stop it too.

Don't buy MCT oil just yet, try regular butter in your bulletproof coffee. If you can keep it down - great. I must say it is somewhat acquired taste, i like it now.

Do your keto with IF (intermittent fasting) or OMAD (one meal a day). Wether you're going to do it or not - portion control is very important at this point. Also at least try to count your calories. If you have it in you to keep a food diary and keep track of what you eat - great. Otherwise - try. I remember buying a bag of nuts at Costco and snacking on it while driving around. Bag would be gone in a couple of days. See how much calories is in a 2 lb bag of walnuts. Don't do that anymore...

Speaking of nuts. They are not equal. Peanuts actually aren't keto friendly at all. Do the search, it's pretty simple hierarchy. Brazil (i think) and Macadamia are on the top, but harder to get, at least in Edmonton. I am buying pecans.

If a box or a package at the store says "Keto" or "Keto friendly" - most likely it isn't.

Make sure you get your fibre. If hoping to get it just out if the meals - you'll be plugged up for a week. Gets better afterwards.

There's no cheat days, it even cheat meals. Gonna have to start saying "no" at friends dinners or BBQs, it start saying "no" to the invites.

Only alcohol you're allowed us watered down hard liqueurs. No beer, no wine.

You gonna have to get your significant other in on that as well, or gonna have to start cooking for yourself.

In a week or so you'll have your carbs withdrawal. At some point it'll feel like you could kill for a doughnut. Don't kill, and don't eat doughnuts. As your glucose gets depleted and you enter ketosis craving will go away.

Do not overeat your proteins. Surprisingly proteins get metabolised into glucose. The simplest ratio is 75/20/5.

Find on YouTube and sub to Dr. Berg channel. He provides lots of scientific info but not overwhelmingly so. Talks about micro elements, supplements, dos and donts while on keto. Recently started posting keto recipes. I checked out few of them - looks really good, and actual keto.

https://youtu.be/a791Y1t8-LM
Link to one of the videos, you can explore from there.
Old 08-27-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
I bought a couple of books at the beginning of the journey, read them. Yes, useful, but marginally so. Some either go too deep into science, others are really show paced, usually full of personal references or examples. I found even skimming articles on the web/youtube gives you better, newer info compared to books.

Raid your fridge and pantry and throw away (give away, donate... whatever is applicable) all processed meat, all legumes, all bread, all potatoes, all pasta, sugars, etc... Thinking "nah, I'm just not gonna use it" will not work. If you're still a milk drinker - gonna have to stop it too.

Don't buy MCT oil just yet, try regular butter in your bulletproof coffee. If you can keep it down - great. I must say it is somewhat acquired taste, i like it now.

Do your keto with IF (intermittent fasting) or OMAD (one meal a day). Wether you're going to do it or not - portion control is very important at this point. Also at least try to count your calories. If you have it in you to keep a food diary and keep track of what you eat - great. Otherwise - try. I remember buying a bag of nuts at Costco and snacking on it while driving around. Bag would be gone in a couple of days. See how much calories is in a 2 lb bag of walnuts. Don't do that anymore...

Speaking of nuts. They are not equal. Peanuts actually aren't keto friendly at all. Do the search, it's pretty simple hierarchy. Brazil (i think) and Macadamia are on the top, but harder to get, at least in Edmonton. I am buying pecans.

If a box or a package at the store says "Keto" or "Keto friendly" - most likely it isn't.

Make sure you get your fibre. If hoping to get it just out if the meals - you'll be plugged up for a week. Gets better afterwards.

There's no cheat days, it even cheat meals. Gonna have to start saying "no" at friends dinners or BBQs, it start saying "no" to the invites.

Only alcohol you're allowed us watered down hard liqueurs. No beer, no wine.

You gonna have to get your significant other in on that as well, or gonna have to start cooking for yourself.

In a week or so you'll have your carbs withdrawal. At some point it'll feel like you could kill for a doughnut. Don't kill, and don't eat doughnuts. As your glucose gets depleted and you enter ketosis craving will go away.

Do not overeat your proteins. Surprisingly proteins get metabolised into glucose. The simplest ratio is 75/20/5.

Find on YouTube and sub to Dr. Berg channel. He provides lots of scientific info but not overwhelmingly so. Talks about micro elements, supplements, dos and donts while on keto. Recently started posting keto recipes. I checked out few of them - looks really good, and actual keto.

https://youtu.be/a791Y1t8-LM
Link to one of the videos, you can explore from there.
Excellent information

Only thing I’ll add is walking 30-60 minutes a day will also help the body kickstart ketosis.
Old 09-15-2021, 10:35 PM

Well, yesterday marked one month in. Been very strict about avoiding the carbs, about a week in I got over the hunger and haven't looked back. Knocked off 18.6lbs so far, feeling better than I have for years!
Old 09-16-2021, 08:57 AM

Dr Berg is awesome on youtube, short videos 5-10 minutes and explains very well how foods are reacting with your body, talks a lot about intermittent fasting and eating just once or twice a day, I just started with keto coffee / bulletproof, it definitely curbs the appetite and gives nice smooth energy for the better part of the day

1 tbsp MCT oil
1 tbsp grass fed butter
1 tbsp cacao powder
dash of Himalayan salt
1 cup coffee
Old 09-17-2021, 03:44 PM

Here is the channel (Dr. Sten Ekberg) that made me go keto and an example of a daily meal plan:

https://youtu.be/CMHKRzMB4Is

I've been doing it for couple months and I am dropping about 1 kg per week.
Old 09-17-2021, 08:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsa77 View Post
Here is the channel (Dr. Sten Ekberg) that made me go keto and an example of a daily meal plan:

https://youtu.be/CMHKRzMB4Is

I've been doing it for couple months and I am dropping about 1 kg per week.
Old 01-26-2022, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Well, yesterday marked one month in. Been very strict about avoiding the carbs, about a week in I got over the hunger and haven't looked back. Knocked off 18.6lbs so far, feeling better than I have for years!
Just an update - after slacking off in November and December I am back on keto and am coming up on 50lbs lost. Another 20lbs should do it and then it's time to hit the heavy metal and build some muscle.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Just an update - after slacking off in November and December I am back on keto and am coming up on 50lbs lost. Another 20lbs should do it and then it's time to hit the heavy metal and build some muscle.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:41 PM

Sadly me. Really let go at Christmas. Lol.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-07-2023, 08:55 AM

Old thread,

So how’s everyone’s diet doing?
Are you still dieting or did you fall off the wagon!

Thinking of going to do the Intermittent fasting. We’l see how long that lasts!
Old 01-07-2023, 10:13 PM

I like many others really let go over Xmas..and I mean really let go, gained a ton and felt like crap.

Started up again Jan 2 and already feel much better..eat something in morning and dinner, skip lunch. Should go weigh to see what I have lost but I can say I started at 329 Jan 1, unfortunately was at 280 last summer and just threw in the towel. Only been a week but it is amazing how fast you can shed weight with diet change (and put it back on too).
Old 01-08-2023, 07:55 PM

for those who aren't keeping with the latest and greatest...
apparently there have been a slight development in keto approach over the last year or so... nothing earth shattering, but worth noting.
btw im back on it too, 2022 was a write-off as far as i'm concerned. i managed to maintain +/- 10lb throughout the year, but the baseline was pretty high. planing on doing it proper this time, started on the 2nd or so... so far so good, still on the wagon...

back to the changes.
1. apparently protein only get metabolzed into the glucose when needed, ie in the absence of readily accessible fats/ketons. so it's OK to include a bit more protein into the diet.
2. if doing IF and/or full 24/48hr fasting regularly. do so on the shifting schedule. what they mean by that is for IF go one week without breakfasts - eat in the afternoons. then do the following week breakfasts only - skip on lunch. idea is not to get the body get used to it.

there were few other smaller notes, but those were kind of big ones for me. I was really cautious of proteins in the past, so if I had a chicken breast in the salad for example i'd pile up avocadoes and olives and smother it all in oil. Now it's more relaxed. The shifting schedule for IF wasn't as much of groundbreaking as it was "why didn't I think of that myself".

good luck everyone.
Old 01-09-2023, 10:52 AM

Starting back on next week. i really like the food. Its those damn potato chips that kill me.

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB