Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-10-2021, 10:21 PM

Default Home and auto insurance.

I know this has been discussed before but I'm not having any luck with the search function.

I need some home and auto insurance that is affordable. I just can't make these crazy payments any more. I'm currently with aviva, my broker is western financial.

Who do you use that's good and affordable?
Old 09-10-2021, 11:09 PM

I'm happy with AMA. I shopped around a year or two ago and couldn't stomach the payments that I was finding. No idea how coverage differs between the insurers.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:38 PM

I've shopped for home and auto for a good month now as my policy is due next week.
Riverside insrance in Cochrane AB has been great for me so far.
They are to the point, dont ask too many ridiculous questions and has been the cheapest.
my quote was a solid 1k cheaper than most companies
Old 09-11-2021, 02:21 AM

Default Be careful.

Cheapest is not always the best.

Intact is cheap. They are worse than horrible if you have a claim. Absolutely rude to deal with.

Dyck Insurance in Wetaskiwin has been amazing to me for 25 plus years. I shop around every couple years but always end up back letting them look after me.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:01 AM

Read google reviews. I can tell you any product through economical insurance is not worth the paper it’s wrote on. They will do everything possible to screw you over when you make a claim. A friend was making a claim through wawanesa same time we were and they were great. Good local assessor and a fair settlement. Avoid economical at all costs, no matter how cheap!
Old 09-11-2021, 07:58 AM

Default Sgi

Went shopping three years ago. Had been with TD Insurance for 20+ years and got screwed over on a not-my wife's fault vehicle accident claim, their refusal to cover a lighter duty single axle gravel truck I use strictly on my hobby farm and the rates on my residence in Edmonton started to go thru the roof. Went shopping and ended up with Leibel Insurance Group in Edmonton.

Leibel placed all of my insurance requirements with SGI (Saskatchewan Government Insurance). I insure my Edmonton residence, a condo, 3 vehicles, a 320 acre hobby farm with buildings and equipment (tractors and gravel truck have own coverage), a travel trailer and 2 atv's. The package they put together was more comprehensive than I thought I needed but the rates dropped over $1.5K from what I was paying TD. And the people with Leibel are absolutely great to work with. I have my own agent (no call centre) and it's all over the phone.

Granted, I haven't had a claim yet. But so far, I can sleep at night with the rates and am very happy with the coverage.

Last edited by brazeau; 09-11-2021 at 08:00 AM. Reason: title
Old 09-11-2021, 09:10 AM

Have been using Drayden Insurance out of St Albert for a number of years now. Same agent, no call center, excellent service. She also regularly checks prices at renewal for the house and vehicles. This year she shaved 1200 off our insurance, with equal or better coverage. When we moved to them we did so because our previous insurer decided to all of a sudden jack up the rate. They wanted a ridiculous rate on the house as an acreage, despite it having full fire station and hydrant coverage.
Old 09-11-2021, 10:28 AM

Costco offer car insurance for members , I saved over $1500 on 2 vehicles .
Old 09-12-2021, 12:56 AM

I have been with BelAir direct for about 20 years now. Had one non at fault accident a few years ago and they handled it with the flying colours. Of course I had to negotiate the final payout but that would be the same with any other company. All these years I was checking prices when the renewals were coming and absolutely nobody could come even close to their rates.
Old 09-12-2021, 03:36 PM

Thanks for all the responses. Looks like i have some more phone calls to make Monday.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:21 AM

If you have more than one house and multi vehicles try spreed your business around to more than one company. Few years back had a few weather claims, insurance company tried to raise my rates through the roof. Changed company and rates went back to old level.
Old 09-15-2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Have been using Drayden Insurance out of St Albert for a number of years now. Same agent, no call center, excellent service. She also regularly checks prices at renewal for the house and vehicles. This year she shaved 1200 off our insurance, with equal or better coverage. When we moved to them we did so because our previous insurer decided to all of a sudden jack up the rate. They wanted a ridiculous rate on the house as an acreage, despite it having full fire station and hydrant coverage.

Called Drayden in Edmonton for a quote. They must have only one agent and she's too busy with training to give a call back. She did email some forms for a quote asking for drivers license numbers and vin numbers. I've never had anyone ask for those before and she says without them she doesn't want to prepare a quote twice as they are so busy. Maybe St. Albert is better?
Old 09-15-2021, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF View Post
Called Drayden in Edmonton for a quote. They must have only one agent and she's too busy with training to give a call back. She did email some forms for a quote asking for drivers license numbers and vin numbers. I've never had anyone ask for those before and she says without them she doesn't want to prepare a quote twice as they are so busy. Maybe St. Albert is better?
Call Shawna Oneil in st albert. Tell her Dean referred u.
Old 09-15-2021, 08:52 PM

Just an update.
Called Drayden several times with no answer.
My wife called Costco, prices were cheaper for the house but no flood or hail coverage which i thought was weird since they have like 6 companies they get quotes from, one of which is Aviva. Auto was a bit more.
Waiting on a quote from Dyck insurance.
Leibel was more.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
Costco offer car insurance for members , I saved over $1500 on 2 vehicles .

If I saved $1,500 my premium would be $0. I pay $1,500 for two cars.

Desjardin Insurance St. Albert (used to be State Farm)
Old 09-15-2021, 10:47 PM

It is actually just Intact Insurance online so everyone knows. Many of these companies are just arms of the main company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
I have been with BelAir direct for about 20 years now. Had one non at fault accident a few years ago and they handled it with the flying colours. Of course I had to negotiate the final payout but that would be the same with any other company. All these years I was checking prices when the renewals were coming and absolutely nobody could come even close to their rates.
Old 09-16-2021, 10:20 AM

Drayden has quite a few offices, some are pretty small, might only have one or two staff. Others are significantly larger. The one in St. Albert, the one in GP and the one in North Calgary are all very big shops. I have always made sure to deal at one of the big shops, even if I didn't live in that town. For instance, I kept dealing in GP, even when I lived in Calgary.
Old 09-16-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Drayden has quite a few offices, some are pretty small, might only have one or two staff. Others are significantly larger. The one in St. Albert, the one in GP and the one in North Calgary are all very big shops. I have always made sure to deal at one of the big shops, even if I didn't live in that town. For instance, I kept dealing in GP, even when I lived in Calgary.
Dean2 or anyone else,

Can you speak to how the insurance company dealt with guns, reloading, ammo storage etc?

Do you have a policy for gun/equipment replacement?

Did you get anything in writing that they are fine with reloading?

I'm shopping around right now and want to be sure there are no surprises like insurance being denied when they realize there is gun powder on the property for example. (seems to me there was a thread here before where that happened to someone, fire was unrelated to powder/ammo, but the claim was denied when the investigator found those items...?)

Thanks.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:00 PM

Anyone deal with CIBC insurance?

They provided me a quote underwritten by The Personal Insurance Company that was 200 bucks lower for car insurance and 400 bucks lower for house insurance.

Seems pretty decent but never heard of the company.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:09 PM

Call Dee @ Crystal Metz in Medicine Hat. Not a problem if you don't live there, I've been with them for almost 20 years and been in their office once.

When I was getting professional discounts, discounts through "connections", and even a work benefit for discounted insurance, they were all still more expensive than I was already paying with Desjardin/then-State Farm.