Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-14-2021, 08:48 PM
trigger7mm trigger7mm is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,127
Default Pigeon lake.

Finally going to get a chance to get out and do a little fishing. Taking my daughter probably to Pigeon Lake. Has anybody been there lately, and how has the fishing been? Thank you for your response.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-14-2021, 10:05 PM
RACKER RACKER is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 722
Default

Fishing was good last weekend.We fished the island area in the SE and a spot in the middle and had good results both jigging and trolling.Have not fished the PP side at all so I cant offer anything for that area.Pretty much any spot in the lake at this time of the year with structure will produce walleye.Good luck if you head out.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-15-2021, 06:14 PM
barbless barbless is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: calgary ab
Posts: 1,677
Default

Are there any concerns with launching a 17 ft boat and any areas which one would stay away from, shallow spots, rocks, underwater hidden obstructions. Never been but next week off. Might be good for a day trip or two if I can camp and use my motorhome to launch. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-16-2021, 12:00 PM
fish99's Avatar
fish99 fish99 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: pigeon lake
Posts: 1,159
Default

pp boat launch ,no problems in getting your boat in there
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-16-2021, 01:14 PM
cube cube is offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Are there any concerns with launching a 17 ft boat and any areas which one would stay away from, shallow spots, rocks, underwater hidden obstructions. Never been but next week off. Might be good for a day trip or two if I can camp and use my motorhome to launch. Thanks in advance
Launching should not be a problem. There are shallow areas that go a long way out on Pigeon so I would never motor fast close to shore but as soon as you're 2 or 3 hundred meters off shore your fine.
The Rock island in the south east is one exception though.

There are a number of shallow rock submerged humps in the shallow water off Mulhurst Lutheran Church Camp and St Basils Church Camp. They are about 2 hundred meters off shore and only about a foot or so deep this year.

One last place of caution is off Golden Days. A number of years a go a cabin owner was bringing in a load of big rock to protect his beach from wave erosion in the winter. The truck broke through the ice before it got to his beach and they dumped the load out there someplace. The water is very shallow out there along way out so again I don't motor fast in that area.

I set my depth alarm on my sounder at 16 feet and don't motor fast on that lake any shallower than that unless I know the area.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-16-2021, 04:43 PM
barbless barbless is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: calgary ab
Posts: 1,677
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
Launching should not be a problem. There are shallow areas that go a long way out on Pigeon so I would never motor fast close to shore but as soon as you're 2 or 3 hundred meters off shore your fine.
The Rock island in the south east is one exception though.

There are a number of shallow rock submerged humps in the shallow water off Mulhurst Lutheran Church Camp and St Basils Church Camp. They are about 2 hundred meters off shore and only about a foot or so deep this year.

One last place of caution is off Golden Days. A number of years a go a cabin owner was bringing in a load of big rock to protect his beach from wave erosion in the winter. The truck broke through the ice before it got to his beach and they dumped the load out there someplace. The water is very shallow out there along way out so again I don't motor fast in that area.

I set my depth alarm on my sounder at 16 feet and don't motor fast on that lake any shallower than that unless I know the area.
Thanks for the heads up. Really appreciate it. If I decide on there I will keep a watchful eye on my sonar. Mostly I will not motor too hard if I don't know a lake. Plus I've learned a few lessons over the years of fishin shallow (klunk klunk and sand bar just drifting, did not think I needed shallow alarm on ). Does the PP have a dock to tie up at? Only ask cause I have to unload and load, wifey drives straight ahead and parks. No backing up for her. LOL
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-16-2021, 08:07 PM
fish99's Avatar
fish99 fish99 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: pigeon lake
Posts: 1,159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Really appreciate it. If I decide on there I will keep a watchful eye on my sonar. Mostly I will not motor too hard if I don't know a lake. Plus I've learned a few lessons over the years of fishin shallow (klunk klunk and sand bar just drifting, did not think I needed shallow alarm on ). Does the PP have a dock to tie up at? Only ask cause I have to unload and load, wifey drives straight ahead and parks. No backing up for her. LOL
there was a dock it still should be there .
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-21-2021, 07:29 PM
SNAPFisher SNAPFisher is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,811
Default

No luck getting the wife out during the summer to fill the Class B tags at Pigeon. Snuck out Sunday first thing. Launched @ 9 a.m. 15 minutes later all 4 tags were filled. Then we decided to try a bit deeper and cleaned out a tub of minnows on wallies over 50 cm. Some were pushing 57-58 cm. Done by end of minnow tub in about and hour and half total. Caught all mine on a fly rod with sinking line.

For supper, fresh fried walleye with dill, lemon pepper, coating and fried in oil and butter. Roasted potatoes and veggies from the BBQ...
Amazing!

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-21-2021, 09:06 PM
trigger7mm trigger7mm is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,127
Default Pigeon Lake

Thatís good to hear Snap. Heading out there next week with the wife. Thanks for the report.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-28-2021, 08:08 PM
fish99's Avatar
fish99 fish99 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: pigeon lake
Posts: 1,159
Default

was out Sunday walleye fishing was good at some spots and slow at others, pays to move around to different place on the lake .
whitefish should start to school up and get ready to spawn soon.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.