Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 09-17-2021, 07:49 AM
58thecat's Avatar
58thecat 58thecat is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Posts: 20,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Fishing was unreal this past week with the spawn . Found one spot where they were stacked 40 feet deep . Just thousands of them . Had double headers with every pass with the down riggers . Would of jigged if we did not have 4 ft waves .Took me 30 years of fishing this lake to find where they spawn . Might have been because I never fished sept before . Till next year !

I watched the water the days you were out …crazy but you got a big boat and finding a leeward side to enjoy the catch was always a possibility just getting there would have been interesting….

Your right they stack up thick as thieves in some areas just was hard for my runner to stay on the stack when the wind was picking up

Had a great season though lots of laughs both on and off the lake!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 09-17-2021, 04:56 PM
-JR- -JR- is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edm.
Posts: 3,613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I watched the water the days you were out …crazy but you got a big boat and finding a leeward side to enjoy the catch was always a possibility just getting there would have been interesting….

Your right they stack up thick as thieves in some areas just was hard for my runner to stay on the stack when the wind was picking up

Had a great season though lots of laughs both on and off the lake!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was nice meeting you Greg ,but it was to rough for me also .
I moved over to a non windy area and fished for pike with a few friends from cold lake . Might return for hard water and see if I can catch the big one !
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 09-17-2021, 06:42 PM
elkhunter11 elkhunter11 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Camrose
Posts: 40,518
Default

Reading this thread as it progressed, I am looking even more forward to trying Cold Lake for Lake Trout. I have done very little fishing the past several years, but next year, I am going to change that.
__________________
Only accurate guns are interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 09-18-2021, 10:53 AM
58thecat's Avatar
58thecat 58thecat is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Posts: 20,584
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
It was nice meeting you Greg ,but it was to rough for me also .
I moved over to a non windy area and fished for pike with a few friends from cold lake . Might return for hard water and see if I can catch the big one !
Awesome....let me know when you plan on coming down and I can hook you up with a few early and late season spots that have worked for me over the years!
__________________

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 09-18-2021, 05:13 PM
-JR- -JR- is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edm.
Posts: 3,613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Awesome....let me know when you plan on coming down and I can hook you up with a few early and late season spots that have worked for me over the years!
There is a lot of spots on that lake . Been fishing it for 30 years .
One week the fish are there then the next week they are some where else.
I guess they just follow those cisscos all day !

There are some funny looking fish under the fuel pump in the main marina in town ,about 5 of them . Do you know what they are . They are about 8 inches long . Very dark looking .
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old 09-28-2021, 10:22 AM
58thecat's Avatar
58thecat 58thecat is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Posts: 20,584
Default

Had a solid frost last night so got out early



Sorry couldn’t help myself!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 09-28-2021, 03:29 PM
-JR- -JR- is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edm.
Posts: 3,613
Default

I thought that was you !
I'm in the back ground in my truck.
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 09-28-2021, 05:32 PM
58thecat's Avatar
58thecat 58thecat is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Posts: 20,584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I thought that was you !
I'm in the back ground in my truck.

This season we will sit around and BS while enjoying the day!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 09-29-2021, 06:57 PM
Hartly Hartly is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 138
Default

Has anyone been fishing Lakers the last few days? If so , how was the fishing?
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 09-30-2021, 07:14 AM
-JR- -JR- is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edm.
Posts: 3,613
Default

Read the regs...Season closed Sept 14 for lake trout .
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 09-30-2021, 08:27 AM
58thecat's Avatar
58thecat 58thecat is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Posts: 20,584
Default

1 Lake Trout Over 75 cm from May 15 to Sept. 14 and Nov. 16 to Mar. 31 (0 from Sept. 15 to Nov. 15)

Some still go out but 0 retention as indicated above.
__________________

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...

Last edited by 58thecat; 09-30-2021 at 08:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 09-30-2021, 10:11 AM
Willowtrail's Avatar
Willowtrail Willowtrail is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Read the regs...Season closed Sept 14 for lake trout .
Lake is still open for fishing.

Retention is closed but you can still fish the lake
__________________
YouTube: Bulat Outdoors
Instagram: @bulat_outdoors
Twitter: @GoFishAlberta
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 09-30-2021, 10:22 AM
-JR- -JR- is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edm.
Posts: 3,613
Default

i wonder if that fish cop will give you a fine if you are targeting them .
I know that one guy is a jerk . gave my buddy a $400 fine when fishing hard water and the laker was a 1/16 under . tried to tell him the fish was 50 % frozen and it measured right on when we caught it .
Buddy was from BC so it was not worth it for him to return to fight it in court and the cop new it .
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 09-30-2021, 11:55 AM
58thecat's Avatar
58thecat 58thecat is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Posts: 20,584
Default Cold Lake 2021 Open Water Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
i wonder if that fish cop will give you a fine if you are targeting them .
I know that one guy is a jerk . gave my buddy a $400 fine when fishing hard water and the laker was a 1/16 under . tried to tell him the fish was 50 % frozen and it measured right on when we caught it .
Buddy was from BC so it was not worth it for him to return to fight it in court and the cop new it .

Well that sucks, I tell people to not even fart around with fish on or near the size limit, inch over or more just so there are no issues etc

And regarding the lakers during the 0 retention it is just that but you can still fish for them but most are out enjoying the fall hunting etc




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 10-01-2021, 06:18 AM
Jawjacker Jawjacker is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
Lake is still open for fishing.

Retention is closed but you can still fish the lake
Just like Willowtrail said . Lake is open but no retention. I called Fish and Wild life and confirmed.
But most importantly HAPPY BIRTHDAY WILLOWTRAIL !!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.