Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2021, 10:00 PM

Default Buying a used IPhone question

Has anyone bought used? If so thoughts on was it worth it? Problems to watch for?

My iPhone 7 is getting old and doesn’t have a lot of memory. Every new update eats more and more away. Replaced the battery so at least that works well.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-17-2021, 09:03 AM

I purchased a renewed iphone off amazon. Of course there are many used on fb buy and sell or kijiji and I would buy used from those places as well. Besides the obvious external condition and operation go into the settings and check the battery health. Is it unlocked? You'll want to know if the phone was stolen as well. If it looks good, works good, not stolen and the battery is not an issue I would buy. So many people disposing of perfectly good phones just to get a new phone with a new contract.......makes me happy

https://appletoolbox.com/check-iphone-stolen/
Old 09-17-2021, 09:41 AM

I always buy refurbished on bestbuy.ca rather then kijiji ect. Kijiji folks always says the phone is "mint" and you show up and there is chips and nicks all over the body.

On bestbuy at least i get a 9.0 or 9.5 rating of the condition.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 09-17-2021, 11:16 AM

One problem buying used it’s that they can be blacklisted. By the network or user . Due to either unpaid bills or tab owing on the device . Or the phone insurance scam by the owner they can claimed as lost or stolen and they would get a replacement from the network provider then the lost phone would be blacklisted .
Old 09-17-2021, 12:27 PM

Have sold several iPhones over the years. Just did a factory reset and let them know which network I used it on. Priced accordingly to condition of phone. I always have a case and screen protector so they’ve been in good shape. My last phone was an 8 and I traded it in on a 12 and only had to pay 200$ difference. I’ve found after you’ve had the phone a couple three years the performance drops significantly. My favorite phone to date was an I6. Loved that phone, granted my FIL ran it over with his truck and destroyed my screen. Got a apple replacement but it was never the same after that. (Wonder why lol)
Old 09-17-2021, 12:57 PM

One thing to perhaps look for is if there's any visible stain/blotches type markings barely seen from
behind the screen. If so, the cell may have gotten dropped in water, then did the rice bag drying thing
and seller wants to rid of it while it still works.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:40 PM

If its reset to new it hard to tell the %battery health but I would ask about that.
Old 09-18-2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
One thing to perhaps look for is if there's any visible stain/blotches type markings barely seen from
behind the screen. If so, the cell may have gotten dropped in water, then did the rice bag drying thing
and seller wants to rid of it while it still works.
Good point. I know when I had a battery replaced they pulled some tab out to look for water issues.

I am thinking buying new may be what I feel most comfortable with. I keep stuff for a long time and am not the get new every few years type a consumer.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-18-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
If its reset to new it hard to tell the %battery health but I would ask about that.
Interesting. I just replaced a batter that hit 84% and wouldn’t hold a charge longer than 15 min. Now 2 months later it sits at 97%.

I wasn’t aware of the reset thing.

That poses another question. Should a person reset their iPhone once in a while? Why do it?