Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-07-2021, 06:15 PM

Default Who is back on KETO, 2021

Back on to try and maintain again, gained 20 over the last 8 months. has to go again.

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 01-07-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeforthree View Post
Back on to try and maintain again, gained 20 over the last 8 months. has to go again.
I did Carnivore for most of December, now doing carnivorish. Not exactly Keto, but I like it. I'm doing it to feel good more then anything. Started working out again at the beginning of the December as well.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 01-07-2021, 07:20 PM

Go low carb with cheat days instead of keto. You'll actually stick with it. Keto is great on paper until you punish yourself trying to maintain it. Do something more forgiving that doesn't make you hate yourself when you slip.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:30 PM
Banned

2.5yrs strong Keto There is absolutely ZERO punishing yourself unless you're doing it wrong. The recipes are mind blowing. I'm in maintenance for the past 1 year. No such thing as a cheat day for me. Why would I ever give up this WOE ??
Best wishes to everyone getting back on track. If you want any websites that can help you, just PM me....
One easy start is the https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/...BoCatYQAvD_BwE
Old 01-07-2021, 07:37 PM

Life is a calories game. Eat too many and have bad habits, you’ll be fat. Eat fewer than you consume and you’ll be thin. Very straight forward. My wife has been counting calories and eating a healthy, BALANCED, diet and it was worked awesome. I highly recommend over any fad, dietary restrictive diets that will fade away. If that’s your thing, I applaud you. But I have never seen a diet (it’s a lifestyle really) work so well. A lot of her friends do it too with excellent results.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:42 PM

Trying to do something like Keto but looks more like meat and veggies once a day with keto power bar for lunch, too much coffee and a spoon of that mct oil that I have to say makes for explosive bathroom experience. Is that normal?
Old 01-07-2021, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
Trying to do something like Keto but looks more like meat and veggies once a day with keto power bar for lunch, too much coffee and a spoon of that mct oil that I have to say makes for explosive bathroom experience. Is that normal?
The MCT oil is doing that to your GI tract. A spoon of MCT doesn't affect me, BUT any more and it is an adventure. Perhaps your body is too sensitive to the MCT. Put a spoon of butter into your coffee instead of MCT, IF that is how you are using it.
Old 01-07-2021, 08:36 PM

I hate to say it but after my hip surgery, and this covid crap, definatley need a new eating lifestyle again, I simply went off the wayside.

But, honestly i had other things to worry about, like healing and not eating properly sure didnt take long to get going down the wrong path.

So having said that, i have been back to work for two weeks, cleared to drive, have now ditched my last crutch and use a cane periodically when leg gets tired so no more laying around.

Its go time to get back on track!!
Old 01-07-2021, 08:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Life is a calories game. Eat too many and have bad habits, you’ll be fat. Eat fewer than you consume and you’ll be thin. Very straight forward. My wife has been counting calories and eating a healthy, BALANCED, diet and it was worked awesome. I highly recommend over any fad, dietary restrictive diets that will fade away. If that’s your thing, I applaud you. But I have never seen a diet (it’s a lifestyle really) work so well. A lot of her friends do it too with excellent results.
KETO 30 carbs and less per day, no sugar, no grains, above ground veggies, and calories do NOT count. Dropped 25lbs following the Keto WOE. Keto is NOT a diet, it is a "way of eating" PLUS, the energy is amazing
Old 01-07-2021, 09:12 PM

Been looking for a slim down diet plan. Put on a few pounds in the past year with the lockdown and lack of sports . Notice my energy level is down as well and feel unmotivated even during hunting season I was huffing and puffing just dragging the deer out for 50 yards from the bush.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:19 PM
Banned

What are you talking, guys? I was 165lb/6' at 20, the same at 57. Anybody knows a diet to gain a couple pounds?
Old 01-07-2021, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight View Post
What are you talking, guys? I was 165lb/6' at 20, the same at 57. Anybody knows a diet to gain a couple pounds?
Beer
Old 01-07-2021, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Beer
And Pizza every night
Old 01-07-2021, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Eat breakfast - as much as you want. Eat every 2 hours all day.
Drink a protein shake before you go to sleep.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Obesity is a direct result of insulin stimulation, and insulin resistance as it progresses. Insulin is the hormone that induces fat storage. When insulin resistance kicks in and insulin levels remain high your body has a hard time burning the fat off. Best way to lose weight is to get one of those blood glucose monitors that you can wear all day and connects to your phone. Keep track of what you're eating and anything that spikes blood glucose, cut that out of your diet. KETO and Carnivore work well for weight loss because they stop the insulin spikes from carbs/sugars and help reverse insulin resistance.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 01-08-2021, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Protein supplement, have one in the morning and 1 post workout. Make sure the supplement doesnt have a lot of carbs

Also take some Creatine

And a lot of compound lifting in the gym. Squats, shoulder press, bench press, and deadlifts. And dont forget pullups.

You need to work your legs to boost testosterone to build muscle.

Lastly eat like a viking, have lots of steak, burger, chicken, fish, eggs, lettuce, avocado, soups, etc.... also after your work out have a bit of carbs. This is when I'll cheat on my diet a bit. I buy the Chapman's popsicles which have 10g of carbs and have one of them. Alternatively I have plain Greek yogurt with berries. Have to watch the yogurt, a lot of its loaded with sugar.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Obesity is a direct result of insulin stimulation, and insulin resistance as it progresses. Insulin is the hormone that induces fat storage. When insulin resistance kicks in and insulin levels remain high your body has a hard time burning the fat off. Best way to lose weight is to get one of those blood glucose monitors that you can wear all day and connects to your phone. Keep track of what you're eating and anything that spikes blood glucose, cut that out of your diet. KETO and Carnivore work well for weight loss because they stop the insulin spikes from carbs/sugars and help reverse insulin resistance.
Good luck with the carnivore diet. I mean it. It’s clearly not sustainable given that you are already modifying. You can complicate it but it can be simply boiled down to caloric intake. Much easier to manage and excellent, tangible results.

I think people make weight loss a much bigger issue than it needs to be. )not directed at raab specifically). Find some will power, cut the calories and get active. It’s hard work but the key is making a lifestyle/habit.

And yes I’m in good to excellent shape all of the time thankfully. But it takes piles of hard work to get there

Last edited by wildwoods; 01-08-2021 at 12:12 AM.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Good luck with the fad diet. I mean it. It’s clearly not sustainable given that you are already modifying.
I'm hardly on a fad.diet. My diet is carnivorish, after doing carnivore for a month. So basically my diet is half a plate of salad, and half a plate of meat. I try to only eat low lectin food which cancels out most grains, vegetable oil, and night shades. As well as dairy milk. I still have the high fat dairy as I find it doesn't upset my stomach. I basically eat a well balanced diet. I hope someday people realize that bread and vegetable oils are slowly poisoning them. This is a great video by Dr. Paul Mason if you'd like to learn more. https://youtu.be/mjQZCCiV6iA
Old 01-08-2021, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Increase protein. For some putting on weight is harder than the majority losing if you can believe that
Old 01-08-2021, 02:12 AM

Keto, plant based, Mediterranean, Carnivore, zone, south beach....the only reason any of them work is caloric deficit. Find what works for you as it’s not a one size fits all. Find the long term sustainable one and stick with that. Believe it or not you can eat carbs and lose weight as well. Not against keto, just saying people need to clearly define their goals and make them achievable.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:29 AM

How is your cholesterol count with the Keto diet?
Old 01-08-2021, 07:06 AM

Default Cholesterol

Down! I eat bacon, all the fat on a steak, butter, coconut oil, and lots of salad. Dropped 20 pounds 3 years ago and still off. Still drink lots of beer though and gin, wine, etc. Keeping on your feet is always helpful.
Old 01-08-2021, 07:17 AM

I did keto 2 years ago for 3 months with exercise. Then I ate low carb and enjoyed life, continuing work outs. I dropped 90lbs in about 6 months and levelled off. I maintained that easily for a year and a half and fell off the wagon. With the quarantine I kind of went overboard and didn’t give up snacking when it was over, after Xmas I was up 28lbs.
I started Keto on the 28th. I’m only doing it for 4 weeks, maybe a couple weeks longer depending on how close to my target I am and the plan is to go back onto my low carb “smart” eating.
It seems harder the second time around. But so far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddawg View Post
Keto, plant based, Mediterranean, Carnivore, zone, south beach....the only reason any of them work is caloric deficit. Find what works for you as it’s not a one size fits all. Find the long term sustainable one and stick with that. Believe it or not you can eat carbs and lose weight as well. Not against keto, just saying people need to clearly define their goals and make them achievable.
How dare you speak facts.
Old 01-08-2021, 07:29 AM

Lots of misinformation flying around in here right now, my goodness...

Keto can be a great framework for helping some people reduce their overall calorie intake & increase their adherence - which is awesome! For those who's dietary preferences bias lower carbohydrates, higher fat & a moderate-high protein intake, it aligns very well.

The insulin-obesity hypothesis has long been debunked (famously debunked by the scientist who came up with the hypothesis in the first place, Dr. Kevin Hall). In the absence of a calories surplus, it is impossible to gain tissue. Likewise, in a deficit, we lose tissue.

How a person achieves that deficit in terms of ratios of protein, fat, and carbohydrate will be determined largely by personal preference.

Those who are having success following Keto, well done & keep doing what you're doing!

For those who struggle, keep experimenting with strategies that promote higher protein intakes while consuming slightly less than your body requires to remain at equilibrium - or better yet, seek out a good RD. I know several in the Calgary area.

I should have prefaced this all by mentioning that I've made my living in the health & fitness industry for the better part of 12 years now - and although I don't claim to have all the right answers, I know people who do.
Old 01-08-2021, 07:32 AM

I am not 100% keto or Paleo.

I still eat carbs but it is before and after workout or strenuous activities.

Lost 15 lbs in last 3 weeks.

Looking to drop from 205 to 170.

Dropping the weight slower now.
Old 01-08-2021, 08:28 AM

Keto is so 2019....

You guys are a couple fad diets out by now. Come on... get with the times...
Old 01-08-2021, 08:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
exactly get an app to see just how much calories your are consuming and keep it to an acceptable level plus ya throw in being active, working out etc and soon your lifestyle will be the norm.....if I work out, go ice fishing all day and basically keep moving drinking lots of water and just grazing yup I will sit down at supper and eat a plate of vegies, steak and potatoes....its all a balance.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-08-2021, 09:00 AM

I’ve gone whole food plant based since June. Lost 55 pounds, cholesterol numbers are down massively, blood pressure down, seeing relief from my alopecia, no joint pain at all anymore as well.

I have cut out all meat, dairy, processed food and oils. No counting of anything, eat lots of complex carbs, veggies, grains, and legumes. Never felt better. Won’t be going back to anything else after seeing how I now feel. I don’t count anything, if I’m hungry, I eat.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:08 AM

I'm back on Keto too. I find I generally feel better and have clearer thinking when I am in ketosis.

I did Keto last year for a few months and dropped 30 lbs, much like many others, I let myself enjoy Christmas and the extra food intake involved with that. I find that jumping back on Keto helps break the need to constantly be snacking and the dependency on carbs to "feel full."