Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2021, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qballs View Post
I’ve gone whole food plant based since June. Lost 55 pounds, cholesterol numbers are down massively, blood pressure down, seeing relief from my alopecia, no joint pain at all anymore as well.

I have cut out all meat, dairy, processed food and oils. No counting of anything, eat lots of complex carbs, veggies, grains, and legumes. Never felt better. Won’t be going back to anything else after seeing how I now feel. I don’t count anything, if I’m hungry, I eat.
Excellent, that's great!

Sounds like you're intuitively dialled into your daily maintenance calories without having to count or measure - that's a skill that can take a long time for people to develop so kudos!

Not counting calories doesn't mean calories don't count - people tend to forget this (and it's no surprise, if something is working why should they even care!).

However it's important to remember because at a certain point everyone will hit a plateau - and the only way to progress is to eat less of whatever you're eating.

Old 01-08-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwhite View Post
I'm back on Keto too. I find I generally feel better and have clearer thinking when I am in ketosis.

I did Keto last year for a few months and dropped 30 lbs, much like many others, I let myself enjoy Christmas and the extra food intake involved with that. I find that jumping back on Keto helps break the need to constantly be snacking and the dependency on carbs to "feel full."

Absolutely the same with me. When I finished Keto the first time I had no desire to demolish a bag of chips in one sitting anymore. Bored and stressed during quarantine changed that and I let myself slip. And yeah, Christmas was bad lol. Almost two weeks in now and those cravings for junk food have almost diminished to zero. It feels good getting back into my work out routine too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muirsy View Post
Lots of misinformation flying around in here right now, my goodness...

Keto can be a great framework for helping some people reduce their overall calorie intake & increase their adherence - which is awesome! For those who's dietary preferences bias lower carbohydrates, higher fat & a moderate-high protein intake, it aligns very well.

The insulin-obesity hypothesis has long been debunked (famously debunked by the scientist who came up with the hypothesis in the first place, Dr. Kevin Hall). In the absence of a calories surplus, it is impossible to gain tissue. Likewise, in a deficit, we lose tissue.

How a person achieves that deficit in terms of ratios of protein, fat, and carbohydrate will be determined largely by personal preference.

Those who are having success following Keto, well done & keep doing what you're doing!

For those who struggle, keep experimenting with strategies that promote higher protein intakes while consuming slightly less than your body requires to remain at equilibrium - or better yet, seek out a good RD. I know several in the Calgary area.

I should have prefaced this all by mentioning that I've made my living in the health & fitness industry for the better part of 12 years now - and although I don't claim to have all the right answers, I know people who do.
I never said that calories don't matter. The question is what type of tissue do we put on? I'm doing Carnivorish mostly because its healthy, but for my second reason I'm trying to gain muscle mass and strength for backpacking next year. I don't wan't a bunch of abdominal fat that will do nothing to help my strength. The majority of my calories are coming from protein and fat, keeping my carbs under 50 a day. As a result I haven't lost weight, but have lost unwanted belly fat.

In saying that no matter what diet you're on, theres not hard and fast rule saying you can't have cheat days. If you eat well 6 days a week and take 1 day off you're still going to be doing better then anyone who follows the Standard American Diet(SAD) diet their whole life.

Theres also lots coming out about dieting and nutrition. It's an ever evolving discussion. Hard for me to say one way is the best at this point. In saying that I think intermittent fasting, and keto are a great way to lose weight. Even if you only do it for 3-6 months.

Couple more interesting videos. I really like Dr. Paul Mason, and Dr. Peter Attia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g94p5J2gE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMhLBPPtlrY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDFxdkck354
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtczW43tiu4
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 01-08-2021, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
How is your cholesterol count with the Keto diet?
I'll let you know next week. I've done Keto for 3 years, took 6 months off and now doing Carnivore. Biggest thing to look at is the Triglycerides and HDL. High HDL and low Triglycerides lowers risk of CVD.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 01-08-2021, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I never said that calories don't matter. The question is what type of tissue do we put on? I'm doing Carnivorish mostly because its healthy, but for my second reason I'm trying to gain muscle mass and strength for backpacking next year. I don't wan't a bunch of abdominal fat that will do nothing to help my strength. The majority of my calories are coming from protein and fat, keeping my carbs under 50 a day. As a result I haven't lost weight, but have lost unwanted belly fat.

In saying that no matter what diet you're on, theres not hard and fast rule saying you can't have cheat days. If you eat well 6 days a week and take 1 day off you're still going to be doing better then anyone who follows the Standard American Diet(SAD) diet their whole life.

Theres also lots coming out about dieting and nutrition. It's an ever evolving discussion. Hard for me to say one way is the best at this point. In saying that I think intermittent fasting, and keto are a great way to lose weight. Even if you only do it for 3-6 months.

Couple more interesting videos. I really like Dr. Paul Mason, and Dr. Peter Attia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtczW43tiu4
I applaud the success you've had in reaching your goal, but I would respectfully caution against some of the conclusions you've arrived at as they relate to 'why' you had that success.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
How is your cholesterol count with the Keto diet?
Mine was the lowest it's ever been when I was on keto for 6 months.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:01 AM

I hopped on the scale this morning. Today is day 13 and I’m down 7lbs 21 to go and I’ll be back to my pre-pandemic weight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2021, 09:47 AM

Default Carnivore

I try to eat a low carb diet year round, I am one of those people that can’t have a piece of cake, I end up eating the whole cake. I know this and it’s easier for me to just avoid simple carbs.
Every January I do a reset and eat carnivore and end up trimming a fair bit of holiday weight and just feel good.
I’ve been in the paleo/low carb/carnivore world for four years and lost a pile of weight and kept it off, learning the whys and how’s was key for me in keeping it off. Calories do matter but it’s super hard to overeat when it’s meat and vegetables.
For the “it’s all in moderation” crowd I’ve found it’s two types of people. Very disciplined that can say no to the extra piece of cake and fat people trying to justify stuffing their face. And that’s coming from a fat kid at heart who’d love nothing more than to constantly eat a fresh apple fritter.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:40 AM

Some on here seem to be focused on cholesterol?

Instead of worrying about your cholesterol you should worry about what causes plaque buildup....because you can have normal cholesterol and still end up with plaque/blockages....and you can have elevated "bad cholesterol" and not have any issues.

Insulin resistance is something everyone should be aware of.

Eat a balanced, clean diet and exercise, reduce stress and sleep and you will live alot longer.

By clean.

No refined sugars, white flour, pasta etc.

Lots of lean meats, eggs, omega 3 fish, vegetables, fruit,

Try to avoid processed, canned food, refined sugar, trans fats, vegetable oils(especially deep fried crap)
Old 01-09-2021, 02:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 mag View Post
Some on here seem to be focused on cholesterol?

Instead of worrying about your cholesterol you should worry about what causes plaque buildup....because you can have normal cholesterol and still end up with plaque/blockages....and you can have elevated "bad cholesterol" and not have any issues.

Insulin resistance is something everyone should be aware of.

Eat a balanced, clean diet and exercise, reduce stress and sleep and you will live alot longer.

By clean.

No refined sugars, white flour, pasta etc.

Lots of lean meats, eggs, omega 3 fish, vegetables, fruit,

Try to avoid processed, canned food, refined sugar, trans fats, vegetable oils(especially deep fried crap)
Thank you
Old 01-09-2021, 04:14 PM

I’m seeing a lot of I was on keto and then .....insert reason to put weight on here.... now I’m back on and feel great. Some people have said on here that they have fallen off more than once and put weight back on. Why not work on your relationship with food and learn to enjoy the things you enjoy but do it in moderation? End the on/off train and make small daily changes that will be sustainable for the long term.
Old 01-09-2021, 04:28 PM

I want to add I was 300lbs, 5 blood clots in my right leg, emergency surgery in Mexico while working there. So I lost 70 and the put on 40, then lost 20 then put on 20.....blah blah blah. Carnivore, block, keto, paleo, whole 30, beach body. You name it aside from cabbage soup diet(like an idiot I tried and that lasted 4 days in 1998). But until this last year I’ve worked on my relationship with food. The bingeing has stopped. I’m at 230, happy as a clam. I know I can get lower but my performance in the gym is the best it’s ever been, my confidence and mental well being is the best it’s been. I spent the summer drinking and camping and enjoying fire top nachos, pie irons and a bazillion other things. But there is a ton of meals in a week where you don’t need to eat poopy and gorge yourself. I used to beat myself up cause I drank and ate garbage all weekend and packed on 5 lbs. Now I don’t even worry about it as it’s water weight

Last edited by Sleddawg; 01-09-2021 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-09-2021, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddawg View Post
I’m seeing a lot of I was on keto and then .....insert reason to put weight on here.... now I’m back on and feel great. Some people have said on here that they have fallen off more than once and put weight back on. Why not work on your relationship with food and learn to enjoy the things you enjoy but do it in moderation? End the on/off train and make small daily changes that will be sustainable for the long term.
Fantastic insight.

I've had this conversation with dozens of clients over the past 12 years.

I can count on one hand the number of them who can maintain a very low carbohydrate diet (less than 50g/day) for >1 year, especially if they value performance and/or lead very active lives.

Those who are able to maintain it just have a strong preference for higher protein & fats (which is totally cool!) and are generally more sedentary.
Old 01-09-2021, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muirsy View Post
Fantastic insight.

I've had this conversation with dozens of clients over the past 12 years.

I can count on one hand the number of them who can maintain a very low carbohydrate diet (less than 50g/day) for >1 year, especially if they value performance and/or lead very active lives.

Those who are able to maintain it just have a strong preference for higher protein & fats (which is totally cool!) and are generally more sedentary.
Thank you.

Also absolutely none of these work if you’re not in a caloric deficit. If you require -200cal for weight loss then no matter what way you choose to eat you need to eat less than your body consumes.
Old 01-09-2021, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Thank you.

Also absolutely none of these work if you’re not in a caloric deficit. If you require -200cal for weight loss then no matter what way you choose to eat you need to eat less than your body consumes.
Exactly right.

I have worked with many self proclaimed "clean eaters" over the years as well who invariably arrive at a plateau at some stage; the issue is never 'how can I eat even cleaner?' - it's 'what can I eat less of?'.

Sounds like you've found the ultimate sweet spot for yourself, well done! That can take years and years for people to do.
Old 01-09-2021, 05:47 PM

You have just described me. Bang on!

Good post but I also appreciate Sleddawg perspective and wish I could get were he is at. Its hard to give advice on these threads as we are all different, living different life styles. But its very motivating to understand others are struggling with weight and trying different ways that work (or not) for them.

I'm trying this Keto diet, struggling to balance fat versus meat which my freezer is full of but lost a few pounds without too much effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatmewolf View Post
I try to eat a low carb diet year round, I am one of those people that can’t have a piece of cake, I end up eating the whole cake. I know this and it’s easier for me to just avoid simple carbs.
Every January I do a reset and eat carnivore and end up trimming a fair bit of holiday weight and just feel good.
I’ve been in the paleo/low carb/carnivore world for four years and lost a pile of weight and kept it off, learning the whys and how’s was key for me in keeping it off. Calories do matter but it’s super hard to overeat when it’s meat and vegetables.
For the “it’s all in moderation” crowd I’ve found it’s two types of people. Very disciplined that can say no to the extra piece of cake and fat people trying to justify stuffing their face. And that’s coming from a fat kid at heart who’d love nothing more than to constantly eat a fresh apple fritter.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Excellent advice right here

Quote:
I want to add I was 300lbs, 5 blood clots in my right leg, emergency surgery in Mexico while working there. So I lost 70 and the put on 40, then lost 20 then put on 20.....blah blah blah. Carnivore, block, keto, paleo, whole 30, beach body. You name it aside from cabbage soup diet(like an idiot I tried and that lasted 4 days in 1998). But until this last year I’ve worked on my relationship with food. The bingeing has stopped. I’m at 230, happy as a clam. I know I can get lower but my performance in the gym is the best it’s ever been, my confidence and mental well being is the best it’s been. I spent the summer drinking and camping and enjoying fire top nachos, pie irons and a bazillion other things. But there is a ton of meals in a week where you don’t need to eat poopy and gorge yourself. I used to beat myself up cause I drank and ate garbage all weekend and packed on 5 lbs. Now I don’t even worry about it as it’s water weight
100 % stoked for your continued success SD
Old 01-09-2021, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
You have just described me. Bang on!

Good post but I also appreciate Sleddawg perspective and wish I could get were he is at. Its hard to give advice on these threads as we are all different, living different life styles. But its very motivating to understand others are struggling with weight and trying different ways that work (or not) for them.

I'm trying this Keto diet, struggling to balance fat versus meat which my freezer is full of but lost a few pounds without too much effort.
If you’ve dropped some weight you’re on the right track, stick with it!

The struggle is real. The reality is that there are dozens of ways a person can organize their diet to create a calorie deficit and begin to lose weight. Individualization is key, and every has preferences and lifestyles/schedules that must be honoured for long term adherence.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:52 PM

[QUOTE=raab;4304240]I never said that calories don't matter. The question is what type of tissue do we put on? I'm doing Carnivorish mostly because its healthy, but for my second reason I'm trying to gain muscle mass and strength for backpacking next year. I don't wan't a bunch of abdominal fat that will do nothing to help my strength. The majority of my calories are coming from protein and fat, keeping my carbs under 50 a day. As a result I haven't lost weight, but have lost unwanted belly fat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtczW43tiu4[/QUO

I'm back on it again. As priors have stated it works if you keep the sugars and carbs 50 to 20. at 20ish you can loose 5 pounds a week.
That includes weight lifting 5 days a week and cardio. Now add a
couple of CC's testosterone for hormone therapy and at 63 you feel 35-40.
Lastly> my main reason for following this is my pre- diabetes.
2.5 years a go 8.2 A1C last year mid fall 5.4.
By September my BC moose hunt should be all
Good.
My Best to all in Alberta and there diets.
Old 01-10-2021, 03:15 PM

[QUOTE=Ronaround;4305835]
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtczW43tiu4[/QUO

I'm back on it again. As priors have stated it works if you keep the sugars and carbs 50 to 20. at 20ish you can loose 5 pounds a week.
That includes weight lifting 5 days a week and cardio. Now add a
couple of CC's testosterone for hormone therapy and at 63 you feel 35-40.
Lastly> my main reason for following this is my pre- diabetes.
2.5 years a go 8.2 A1C last year mid fall 5.4.
By September my BC moose hunt should be all
Good.
My Best to all in Alberta and there diets.
Yep, low carb is the only way, or at least balancing carbs. I think IF also plays an important role and I do that once a week as well.

I forgot to put this up earlier, but anyone looking to lose weight needs to watch this. This will explain to you how insulin and obesity go hand and hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRHir1k9jmE
Old 01-10-2021, 03:41 PM

[QUOTE=raab;4305849]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaround View Post

Yep, low carb is the only way for me
Fixed that for you!
Old 01-11-2021, 07:14 PM
Banned

Here is a PSA for those who think going Keto limits the foods you can consume. I love this site https://www.dietdoctor.com/focusing-...fp4EsHnjaTzWUk
Old 01-30-2021, 07:12 PM
Banned

Old 01-30-2021, 11:18 PM

Down 10 in the first 30 days, have a jump in my step..only thin I'm going to change in Feb is to get a Fibre product.

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 01-31-2021, 08:24 AM
Banned

Shrimp wrapped in bacon and done in the air fryer
Old 01-31-2021, 08:54 AM

To all those that are watching what they eat and exercising, training or working out, get your testosterone checked. You could be unknowingly spinning your wheels. If you are low in testosterone and you want to be bigger, leaner stronger, and faster good luck. It won’t happen. It’s a key component and you must optimize it. You can be 50 but absolutely feel like your 25 and get very close to the same results as that age demographic so why not?

I say this for the guys that may be reading the success stories here that feel they aren’t progressing they way they would like....

Last edited by 1899b; 01-31-2021 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-16-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeforthree View Post
Back on to try and maintain again, gained 20 over the last 8 months. has to go again.
I lost 50 lbs on Keto Jan 2019-Mar 2019. Kept it off no problems. Surgery in Nov 2019 lost another 10 lbs. Kept off 5 lbs no problem. Surgery Nov 2020 lost another 10 lbs. Put it back on in 3 months going on a junk food binge with not enough winter exercise....

So.

Gone back on yesterday. Today is day two. A little will power sugar withdrawal needed but so far no worries.

Hoping the extra fats burns off fast as it was put on fast lol.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-16-2021, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
To all those that are watching what they eat and exercising, training or working out, get your testosterone checked. You could be unknowingly spinning your wheels. If you are low in testosterone and you want to be bigger, leaner stronger, and faster good luck. It won’t happen. It’s a key component and you must optimize it. You can be 50 but absolutely feel like your 25 and get very close to the same results as that age demographic so why not?

I say this for the guys that may be reading the success stories here that feel they aren’t progressing they way they would like....
Out of curiosity, how do you actually increase your testosterone?
Old 02-16-2021, 07:09 PM

January 2020-March I lost 30 pounds on keto. I put back 15 pounds until now and I’ve been back on keto for 3 days and in the gym for 2. (Home gym is awesome) I’m sitting at 220 so hopefully back down to low 200s would be ideal. Keto works wonders for me...I always feel much better. Eggs and sausage for breakfast today....egg salad for lunch and slow cooked spare ribs with cauli tots for dinner.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:13 PM
Banned

This was my Keto dinner last night ..pork belly