Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-11-2021, 07:44 AM

Default Rv prices out of this world.

My goodness RV prices have gone crazy people want new price for a a 15 year old trailer.
Back in 2004 we bought a brand new Mallard 21’ trailer, back then we paid just over 15K, for the same trailer same year, people are asking 14K.
Are they nuts? Or just that greedy.

Even new rv’s are nuts,
I did notice fifthwheels are cheaper than bumper pulls.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:46 AM
Banned

Greed has nothing to do with it. They are worth what people are willing to pay.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntwat View Post
Greed has nothing to do with it. They are worth what people are willing to pay.
This right here. Supply and demand.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:48 AM

You are totally right. Not everyone has the vehicle to pull a 5th wheel - so they aren't as bad.

And look at the price of vehicles too. For fun, I asked one of those dealers that's advertising on the radio that they will buy your vehicle no questions asked what my 2019 three quarter ton was worth. They offered $5000 over what I paid new two years ago. Problem is I can't find a reasonably priced replacement right now.
Old 09-11-2021, 07:58 AM

Default RV War,

Two days ago I attended what the show was called "THE RV WAR" in Balzac, AB....Across the road from Bass Pro.

Try looking at new RV's....and an entry level unit in about the 25' range, starts at $40K.

I would be very cautious about buying a used RV in the Calgary area following that massive June 2020 hail storm; thousands of RV's were written off..

Be careful....IMHO...

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 09-11-2021, 08:27 AM

My 2007 30' Jayco was written off insurance payout was $1200 more than I paid for it 11 years ago.
Walked out with my cheque....start the car .......start the car
Old 09-11-2021, 08:29 AM

With the way inflation is going, these prices might look like a bargain in a few years.
Old 09-11-2021, 08:54 AM

With the price of fuel and our "depressed' economy, I can't help but wonder how people can still operate these gigantic dinosaurs ?

Grizz
Old 09-11-2021, 09:14 AM

The government is printing over 400 million a day in new money. Between Canada and the U.S. they have flushed 10 trillion into the system in the last 18 months. That is guaranteed to drive inflation, add to that the supply chain disruptions and, like I have posted many times on the Financial Markets thread, it is my belief that we haven't seen anything yet. Inflation is accelerating and it is just getting going. If you need to make a large purchase, do it now, it is going to be a pot load more expensive to do it in 12 or 24 months. I just took delivery of a truck I ordered in March 2021. I could turn around and sell it today for $20,000 more than I paid for it Mar 31st.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
With the price of fuel and our "depressed' economy, I can't help but wonder how people can still operate these gigantic dinosaurs ?

Grizz
Sounds like truck envy to me.
There's only one cure for that...

Old 09-11-2021, 09:19 AM

We bought a new 5th wheel back in March at the Edmonton Spring RV Sale. We made the deal on the trailer and it didn’t arrive from factory until Early May which was expected. The price we paid for it in March by May when we went to pick up the trailer the price on the trailer had gone up by $11000 sure glad I made the deal in March vs. waiting. 2 months $11000 increase that’s crazy.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:19 AM

There was a lack of units for sale or even available because of COVID in last year and half I heard the trailer shops that build them where closed with cases and shuts downs.The amount of people who could not leave there province because of boarder closures and had no where to go on holiday as.So they bought trailers and motor homes just to get out of the house.In a few years when it’s all back to normal the prices might come down a little.Wood prices went out the roof as well so that most likely didn’t help the price even though there’s not a lot of wood in them.All factors for sure.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post

Grizz
Not much different than getting a hotel when traveling. Average cost of a hotel is $130 per night. Fuel depending on what vehicle you drive will change but use 11 liters per hundred km. 600 km drive at 1.30 liter. Around $85. Food for a family of four at the cheapest fast food is still $10 per person . So on average $150, can't eat the same stuff everyday. So that's around $365 give or take depending on hotel and what you want to eat. We did this as a family road trip in June, two vehicles, Mustang and Harley. More fuel costs.

Our new to us 20 year old class C motorhome will do 600km on about 200 liters. That's $260 in fuel for the same 600km of travel. Not eating out, better food and cheaper. Leaves us with$100 to have for food costs per day, which would be really good eating. I'm cheap so Walmart parking lot every chance I get for spending the night. Crown land camp.Pull my side by side as well, fuel mileage doesn’t seem to change.

Prices are high, but what isn't right now. New stuff is high priced and not available. Makes the used market go up. It will be a nasty crash on used when it happens.
Old 09-11-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
The government is printing over 400 million a day in new money. Between Canada and the U.S. they have flushed 10 trillion into the system in the last 18 months. That is guaranteed to drive inflation, add to that the supply chain disruptions and, like I have posted many times on the Financial Markets thread, it is my belief that we haven't seen anything yet. Inflation is accelerating and it is just getting going. If you need to make a large purchase, do it now, it is going to be a pot load more expensive to do it in 12 or 24 months. I just took delivery of a truck I ordered in March 2021. I could turn around and sell it today for $20,000 more than I paid for it Mar 31st.
My head spins with the implications of this. So much money printing inflating everything under the sun and huge debt underpinned by the value of inflated products. There is no easy way out of this. Either they keep printing money to keep the music going and we see rampant inflation or they stop printing money and raise the interest rates and bring the whole house of cards down in a cascade of knock on effects. If housing goes so goes the whole economy in a massive wave.

At this point I think they'll keep printing money and letting inflation take us to never never land. At least that way the powers that be can try to claim they did the right thing. Knowingly popping this windbag will not go over well with the unwashed masses of people now house rich and laden with mortgages nor the people who make their living building, selling and furnishing them (...almost half of working Canadians at this point).
Old 09-11-2021, 11:28 AM

Canada keeps printing money so that our spend fast Turdope leader can still give countless amounts of millions to support other countries so he can maybe get a seat in the UN. Don't forget our debt will pay itself. Taxes will take care of it. Covid kept everyone at home for at least a year. Can't travel or visit anywhere or anyone. No money spent and then things opened up. Never before campers or outdoor enthusiasts figured they would give it a try. Bought everything in site for a good price and as everything was taken the demand pushed the price up to stupid level. You could make a good profit on older used good shape items but you will pay big for replacement. A couple years from now I think the wanna be outdoors people will sell and take a hit. The list goes on and on.
Old 09-11-2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
My head spins with the implications of this. So much money printing inflating everything under the sun and huge debt underpinned by the value of inflated products. There is no easy way out of this. Either they keep printing money to keep the music going and we see rampant inflation or they stop printing money and raise the interest rates and bring the whole house of cards down in a cascade of knock on effects. If housing goes so goes the whole economy in a massive wave.

At this point I think they'll keep printing money and letting inflation take us to never never land. At least that way the powers that be can try to claim they did the right thing. Knowingly popping this windbag will not go over well with the unwashed masses of people now house rich and laden with mortgages nor the people who make their living building, selling and furnishing them (...almost half of working Canadians at this point).
Yes ‘they’ the feds and BOC are trapped. When music stops better grab last seat.
Old 09-11-2021, 11:40 AM

People are forgetting though that a 15 year old trailer is now in need of a pile of maintenance repairs and in many cases a pile of junk .Greed, yes most everything thats being sold has jacked up prices for the gullible, desperate and careless people. There are good deals to be had, but you just have to do more searching and be more patient, not all sellers are greedy. Im willing to pay for what its worth not what some idiot thinks he can get for it.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 09-11-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Canada keeps printing money so that our spend fast Turdope leader can still give countless amounts of millions to support other countries so he can maybe get a seat in the UN. Don't forget our debt will pay itself. Taxes will take care of it. Covid kept everyone at home for at least a year. Can't travel or visit anywhere or anyone. No money spent and then things opened up. Never before campers or outdoor enthusiasts figured they would give it a try. Bought everything in site for a good price and as everything was taken the demand pushed the price up to stupid level. You could make a good profit on older used good shape items but you will pay big for replacement. A couple years from now I think the wanna be outdoors people will sell and take a hit. The list goes on and on.
You nailed it great post.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
People are forgetting though that a 15 year old trailer is now in need of a pile of maintenance repairs and in many cases a pile of junk .Greed, yes most everything thats being sold has jacked up prices for the gullible, desperate and careless people. There are good deals to be had, but you just have to do more searching and be more patient, not all sellers are greedy. Im willing to pay for what its worth not what some idiot thinks he can get for it.
Greed or is it a free market? While it sucks a seller will get what the market will bear . The correction that is coming will hurt many
Old 09-12-2021, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbotman View Post
Greed or is it a free market? While it sucks a seller will get what the market will bear . The correction that is coming will hurt many
Yes absolutely the correction will be the hammer.
Old 09-12-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
Yes absolutely the correction will be the hammer.

A correction may come down the road, but I think many of you are greatly under estimating just how much prices are going to go up over the next 2-3 years. The crash you are hoping for to be able to get a good deal on stuff isn't going to happen. Used will certainly no longer sell for more than new like it does now, but the prices aren't going to drop by 50% of current either, in fact I doubt they will drop by 10%.
Old 09-13-2021, 09:25 AM

During one of the last recessions American trailer manufactures were selling them at fire sale prices in Canada. Recessions are great equalizers!
Old 09-13-2021, 10:29 AM

Prices likely won't come down much. If anything its more likely that wages inflate which serves to make inflated prices a little more affordable. As long as we have curtailments on the production side though we're going to have issues with affordability (wages rising lower than the cost of goods) regardless. More consumer competition for less stuff means more people will have to do without...generally dictated through a degradation of wage/cost ratio.

Vehicles are going to be a nightmare for years. These shutdowns in production and the shortages they cause will not be reversed quickly. Takes years to meaningfully ramp up automotive production and where that'd normally at least be starting to happen (assuming shortage was caused by a simple increase in demand) its not because there is no use building more plants if you can't run the current plants without chips. Now we're just backlogging demand well into the future while just hoping we can get back to average production. What a freakin' mess.
Old 09-13-2021, 10:55 AM

I was shocked what some units are selling for. I can sell my used trailer for almost what I paid (used) a dozen years ago.

Two friends of mine had water-damaged units and sold them within days (don't worry, there was full disclosure).

I will be getting my in-law's trailer ready to sell in the spring, so if this trend continues, it may work out well for them.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:44 PM

There's a 35 year old trailer on the yard that needs a lot of work and new tires. Want $28,000 for it, or will trade for 5 sheets of top grade outdoors treated 3/4" plywood. Don't lowball me, I know what I have.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I was shocked what some units are selling for. I can sell my used trailer for almost what I paid (used) a dozen years ago.

Two friends of mine had water-damaged units and sold them within days (don't worry, there was full disclosure).

I will be getting my in-law's trailer ready to sell in the spring, so if this trend continues, it may work out well for them.
Its seems good if you are a seller but its deceiving. Sure you get more money off the sale but in inflationary times a person isn't necessarily gaining any extra buying power with that cash. You are also likely to be paying highly inflated prices for anything else you turn around and use that money on whether its gas, food or whatever. Seen the price of meat lately?
Old 09-13-2021, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
Its seems good if you are a seller but its deceiving. Sure you get more money off the sale but in inflationary times a person isn't necessarily gaining any extra buying power with that cash. You are also likely to be paying highly inflated prices for anything else you turn around and use that money on whether its gas, food or whatever. Seen the price of meat lately?

Yes, very true, Elkster.

In this case, though, it’s affecting a product that has a rapid depreciation rate. That’s what makes this trend in the RV market remarkable.
Old 09-13-2021, 03:50 PM

Tried selling my grandparents trailer (2015 Winnebago) in late summer/early fall 2019 for $25k and couldn’t get even someone to bite on it. I relisted the ad multiple times and not one couple even came to look at it.

Listed it again for them in the spring for $25k. Put it up in the evening, they had a cheque in hand for full asking price the next morning. Probably could have gotten $27k+ with a bit more waiting.

RVs that new usually depreciated substantially year over year but instead their’s went up in value. Craziness indeed!
Old 09-15-2021, 09:39 AM

Now is definitely the time for any hoarder to start clearing the yard. I just saw an article where the Rust Valley Restorer guy from BC is selling all his junk yard cars LOL. Smart man.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:54 AM

My buddy bought a 1981 24' GMC motorhome for $6500 I thought he'd lost his mind, he spent another $3500 fixing and painting the interior.
After the restoration he found a newer 2005 30' for a good price, he put the 81 up for sale for $10K... sold in one day!

I thought for sure he was taking the 81 to his grave, prices some will pay are high.