Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2021, 10:01 AM

Default Aphid Infestation Please Help

Ok i've poured over the internet looking for solutions hopefully someone on here has some advice.

What i got: flying Aphids; 99% sure that's why they are tiny green and black midge/gnat looking things, i understand the greens are female and blacks are male and they sprout wings at the end of the year to spread to other trees.

We just moved out to the acreage this spring and we have lots of trees; caraganas, elms, lilacs, choke cherry, blue spruce, ash, among a few others, they congregate closest to the chokecherrys and i see them on the leaves was well, but now i wonder if they aren't coming from the spruces? spruces are the only things we haven't gone to war on.

I bought a hose sprayer to spray anything with a leaf with consumer grade insecticide soap....nothing, after that i sprayed as much as i could with malathion...although tough to get high in the tree...finally broke out the pressure washer with soap inductor and agitated and soaped up the trees with dawn dish soap...and i was able to get higher in the trees with this...and the trees were white with soap when i was done.

but the swarm continues, i know they won't last as it gets colder, but if there is anything i could do for the rest of the nice weather i would do it, or any tips to be more prepared next year.

right now i have to wear a mask and eye protection just to be outside because they are so thick in the air, we are dealing with dog eye infections which we can only assume is from aphids getting stuck in their eyes.

Lady bugs were unavailable this summer in canada...although they would have had their work cut out for them.... I am not against chemical warfare on these things.

If i have a rural address can i buy the restricted/commercial products from UFA? what would be the best? TEMPO?

Sorry for long winded post and thanks for taking the time to read/help
Old 09-13-2021, 10:20 AM

Dr Doom makes a non-restricted house and garden spray that kills aphids real well. Most greenhouses sell it.
Old 09-13-2021, 10:37 AM

Rural address won't get you restricted products....you need a pesticide applicators licence.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:02 AM

Try opal , I'm surprised Malathion doesn't work . Last resort would be decis

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2021, 12:48 PM

Take some pictures just to be sure you just don’t have tons of something else.

Insecticidal Soap definitely gets rid of aphids.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-13-2021, 01:19 PM

Buy your wife / partner a nice yellow (they are attracted to yellow) outfit and have them go outside for pics ... chances are the aphids will swarm her and you can kill 2 birds with the one stone and be a free man with no aphids ... follow me for more relationship advice
Old 09-13-2021, 05:32 PM

Dr Doom has Permethrin as active ingredient. Works great on caterpillars.
Old 09-13-2021, 07:47 PM

Theirs billions of them. Spraying would only kill a few. What’s the point they have come every year at this time and will next year.
If it really bothers your next year start spraying in June. Will be a little better come September.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:34 PM
Banned

Send an email to https://greenlandgarden.com/Look around the website. You can email them with your issue and they will respond to you
Old 09-14-2021, 08:32 AM

Clean up all leaf litter this Fall. Will help for next years population.

If you have lots of dirt around and low risk of fire spread, it’s fun to use a tiger torch and propane bottle set up to scorch the earth before snow hits. Kills any eggs below the leaves.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-14-2021, 08:55 AM

Have you tried a bug zapper with the black light that you hang from a tree or something like that? I have used one for years and it keeps the bugs down on our acreage big time. Never have aphids anymore that I know of.

If you have the billions that you say you have, I bet it would work. If you are near Stony Plain and want to borrow mine, PM me.
Old 09-14-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjlester View Post
Have you tried a bug zapper with the black light that you hang from a tree or something like that? I have used one for years and it keeps the bugs down on our acreage big time. Never have aphids anymore that I know of.

If you have the billions that you say you have, I bet it would work. If you are near Stony Plain and want to borrow mine, PM me.
I have a bug zapper you can borrow as well, possibly 2 of them. May be coming to edmonton saturday

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-15-2021, 08:58 AM

I had a bunch of little flying bugs on the lawn this year. Next year I will be releasing a few batches of ladybugs, especially in august to keep the aphids out of my hops and other sticky flowering plants. just about lost the sticky flowers (over just a couple of days), but I caught it in time when some time with a paintbrush was all that was needed.
Old 09-15-2021, 04:36 PM

Had aphids on our roses in the spring, used dish liquid in water and doused em they where gon after a second dose. I will be looking into ladybugs next year also

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 09-17-2021, 10:48 AM

Hey thanks everyone for the responses, i especially like the yellow dress idea! she's a red head and they really like her hair already!

I did buy a big hanging bug zapper, and ever morning there is a 2 inch pile of them under the thing but they keep coming.

I'm near Lethbridge and we've finally had a few cooler days and some wind. never thought i'd be thankful for the wind down here but it takes them all away instantlly.

I've talked to a few people that live in the area who confirm that they are particularly bad this year. I think ladybugs next year will be a must. does anyone have a good source for Canada? the few sources i found said they were unavailable this year...

Tags
aphids, bugs, control, infestation, swarm