Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2021, 10:34 AM

Default Ford 6.7 Diesel Delete and Tune - Looking for Experience and Recommendations

I’ve got the dreaded DEF Redactant heater failure code in my 2012 F250 6.7L. The truck is in near new condition, only has about 150K kms on it.

The cost to repair it with new parts from Ford is ridiculous, so I’m looking at my options. There’s really only two -

1. Find a used/takeoff DEF tank and assembly and have it put on. Likely the cheapest option, everything stays “stock”, and I just carry on. Hopefully for another 150,000 kms.

2. I delete it and get it tuned. I’m leaning this way. From what I’m hearing, the cost will be somewhere in the middle. A lot less than new parts, and only a bit more than used due to the labour required to swap out the DEF components. There was a time I LOVED diesel smoke and noise, but I’m old now, and honestly, I love the quietness and lack of smoke and fumes with the way it runs now. I could go back to the smell of diesel in the morning, but I don’t want noise, and I want it to be stone reliable. I’m not concerned about power increases, but I do like the idea of no more DEF to buy and a little better fuel economy wouldn’t hurt. Is that possible? What kind of setup would you guys recommend? What are your experiences, good and bad, with the DEF delete and tune setups? Suggestions on where to take it in the Calgary area?

Some added info - Its bone stock. I only drive the truck from spring to fall, it gets parked for the winter. 90% of its miles are towing a 21’ boat or a 5th wheel back and forth to Sask or through the mountains.

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2021, 10:37 AM

Call Max at Vermilion Valley Auto for used- 780-853-6161

Text Scott at Santec St Paul for Delete 587-982-2628

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-15-2021, 11:08 AM

Fuel performance(Hwy 1 between strathmore and Chestermere) deleted and tuned my 6.7 and it was the best choice I’ve ever made. I believe it came in at 2,100 all said and done. Called on a Thursday they took it Monday and back the next day.

My average mileage now is 13.7L/100km, around 122km/hr on Hwy 1 and 2. I’ve seen it down to 12.5. It can be noisy outside if you’re putting your foot into it but rarely a puff of black. Was a custom tune they installed there. 70HP boost, no lag. Really like it for towing. Crazy how different the truck became
Old 09-15-2021, 11:58 AM

Default Schultz

Talk to Dallas at Schultz Diesel in Calgary. They did a delete on my 6.7 CTD and I couldn't be happier. Went with single muffler so it isn't very loud and a low tune (+50HP), they also revised the program on my 68RFE which went from being a piece for crap from factory to much less of a piece of crap. Out the door was $2700 but I sold the old parts to a recycler for $1700.

Dallas is very knowledgeable and will know what can be done in your situation.

Zeke
Old 09-15-2021, 12:14 PM

A lot of guys are saying that deleted on these trucks is much better. Better power, better economy, less repairs... I wouldn't tune it too hard though. The blocks on these seem to like wearing out. Buddy of mine works at a diesel shop in Ponoka, and says that there are a lot of 6.7 that need the bottom end replaced, or bored out 0.020" to 0.050" to make the truck work at around 300-400K.

So, he and I had some fun. I took a pic of one random bore of dad's 01 duramax with 700k on it while I had it apart, and he showed it to the mechanics in the lunch room asking them to guess the mileage. The guesses were in the 70-100K range. Quite a few of them choked when they were told 700K. A few of them have bought duramax trucks in the last month, and sold their fords.

As for deleting your truck, you can phone Clay at Wheatland Auto in Strathmore. I hear he's one of the better mechanics, and he has a small shop, and he's the only guy working there, so he's a fair bit cheaper due to lower overhead.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:12 PM

I deleted my '11 when the DEF system failed and I really wished I did it right out of the gate. Better fuel mileage, power and no DEF. I did the lightest tune they offered at that time (done in GP). I would go the delete route especially since you are off warranty. The emission repair is just going to fail down the road.
Old 09-15-2021, 03:23 PM
Banned

I’ve done a couple of mine and it’s been great
I’ve done the dpf def and Egr deletes
Canadian diesel out of lloydminster has been my source for the tuners
You have to make sure it’s the race version because the other ones won’t do deletes.
If given them my info what I want it to do and they have built custom tunes for my vehicles. They have been great
Old 09-15-2021, 08:36 PM

When I deleted my 2016 I just got the Ford dealer to do it. They deleted and put in 1 tune ( EZ LYNK ).
Old 09-15-2021, 08:45 PM

Best think you will do, did my 13 used to Ez Lynk with the Mitch Cooper tune, adjustable.research MItch Cooper he knows his stuff

You will be happy with most product that are available
Old 09-15-2021, 09:38 PM

I like unmolested, completely stock. I can run my 6.7 in the garage for a long time before the exhaust hits. Delete and it is tears in your eyes immediately. My 2012 6.7 never had a stitch of trouble and I just sold it.

850ft lbs and 400 hp stock isn't enough?

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-15-2021, 10:12 PM

Yes if you park in the garage and you want to limit run time, don’t need the extra power but lag sure goes away and extra power and you don’t need to use it. Tuned right very little smoke
Old 09-15-2021, 10:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I like unmolested, completely stock. I can run my 6.7 in the garage for a long time before the exhaust hits. Delete and it is tears in your eyes immediately. My 2012 6.7 never had a stitch of trouble and I just sold it.

Not about the power
It’s when the def heater starts acting up
Or if your egr coolers give you issues
Old 09-15-2021, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Not about the power
It’s when the def heater starts acting up
Or if your egr coolers give you issues
gotcha

did you phone Max or Scott?

I think Max has some, but again you are buying used.

I always worried about that but never had an issue. Maybe because if I was driving the truck it was towing hard? Burnt everything out? (hoping)

Old 09-15-2021, 10:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
gotcha

did you phone Max or Scott?

I think Max has some, but again you are buying used.

I always worried about that but never had an issue. Maybe because if I was driving the truck it was towing hard? Burnt everything out? (hoping)
My 2019 hasnt had any issues yet but as soon as it does it will be getting removed
Old 09-15-2021, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
My 2019 hasnt had any issues yet but as soon as it does it will be getting removed
sorry I forgot you are not the OP- I gave him the info

Old 09-16-2021, 09:53 AM

UPDATE -

I was researching my options for deleting it and getting ready to make a couple calls when I started coming across info on some of the forums that certain VIN number ranges were being covered by Ford under warranty.

I just happen to be one of those VIN numbers, so it goes into the dealer on Monday and the entire repair, including new EGT sensors, will be covered under warranty.

Very pleasant surprise to say the least!
Old 09-16-2021, 10:17 AM

That will save you some cash
Old 09-16-2021, 10:23 AM

Walleye, I was just about ask you to get the dealership to run the vin. Lots of guys don't know there was extended coverage for 11 years to 192000kms on the heater and the EGT sensors. I'll probably be doing a few more when the freezing weather comes.
Old 09-16-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
UPDATE -

I was researching my options for deleting it and getting ready to make a couple calls when I started coming across info on some of the forums that certain VIN number ranges were being covered by Ford under warranty.

I just happen to be one of those VIN numbers, so it goes into the dealer on Monday and the entire repair, including new EGT sensors, will be covered under warranty.

Very pleasant surprise to say the least!
That is awesome!!!

Old 09-16-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:

No biggie but the 2012 was 800 tq and 400 hp...... at least mine was!!!!!
I agree that that is enough for any quoted hauling or payload numbers.
My 2017 is 925 and 440 and not a real difference but braking is better substantially.

Glad OP it worked for you!!!!
Old 09-16-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1 View Post
No biggie but the 2012 was 800 tq and 400 hp...... at least mine was!!!!!
I agree that that is enough for any quoted hauling or payload numbers.
My 2017 is 925 and 440 and not a real difference but braking is better substantially.

Glad OP it worked for you!!!!
My 2022 is 1050 and 475!

I can not wait to see how it pulls the big boat, but with more power comes more fuel use. It also has a 'jake brake' that I am interested in trying.

Old 09-16-2021, 12:57 PM

Ez-lynk tuning from proven diesel based right in drumheller. Plenty of vendors around for him, i am unfamiliar with the calgary area. Can go basic or sky's the limit for power. Being a 2012 they are known for premature turbo failure and many guys throw in the 2015+ trucks turbos. The driveability is night and day and i never had a hiccup after tuning my 2015. I never noticed noticed much of an increase in mileage, but power sure was there, and piece of mind for reliability.
Old 09-16-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
My 2022 is 1050 and 475!

I can not wait to see how it pulls the big boat, but with more power comes more fuel use. It also has a 'jake brake' that I am interested in trying.
Oh I dare say you will be a grinnin!!!! Mated with the 10 speed tranny you should see some fuel gains but the more pressing on the go pedal does drink the diesel more!!!!

The big 3 offerings from 2011 on make great torque and plenty for what we pull with them.

3.55 rear end??? The jake is aftermarket add on?
Old 09-16-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1 View Post
Oh I dare say you will be a grinnin!!!! Mated with the 10 speed tranny you should see some fuel gains but the more pressing on the go pedal does drink the diesel more!!!!

The big 3 offerings from 2011 on make great torque and plenty for what we pull with them.

3.55 rear end??? The jake is aftermarket add on?
It's factory! Little button on the dash

Old 09-16-2021, 03:35 PM

Quote:
It's factory! Little button on the dash
My 17 has the 2 settings also. I recall the jake brake as a add on and guys raving about them. The Super Duty exhaust braking always lagged behind the duramax and cummins but my 17 is a good improvement over my 12 with the turbo improved in 2015.

I will stop derailing this now!!!!!
Old 09-16-2021, 06:19 PM

Quote:
My 2022 is 1050 and 475!

I have about 3500 km on my 2021 350, good power the 10 speed is smooth but when towing I find it lugs a bit unless you put your foot into it. The exhaust brake is the same as my 2016, it almost seems like it's just the transmission shifting, not as good as the Dodge.Empty fuel economy is pretty good around 12 L 100km, towing 15000 lbs it's 22 - 24 L 100km. Towing it sure goes through DEF. Enjoy your new truck when it comes in.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
I have about 3500 km on my 2021 350, good power the 10 speed is smooth but when towing I find it lugs a bit unless you put your foot into it. The exhaust brake is the same as my 2016, it almost seems like it's just the transmission shifting, not as good as the Dodge.Empty fuel economy is pretty good around 12 L 100km, towing 15000 lbs it's 22 - 24 L 100km. Towing it sure goes through DEF. Enjoy your new truck when it comes in.
Good info thank you.
I have had it a week now

Old 09-16-2021, 07:25 PM

Did a delete on a 2012 I had and it was great. Was so exspensive to fix that we just did the delete. That being said keep in mind the 12s have a nasty tendency to grenade the fuel pump... ask me how I know. That being said currently running 5 other 6.7s and haven't deleted any of them as most are still on warranty

It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire
Old 09-16-2021, 08:03 PM

Did my 2015 F450 last year because of the same problem other are having. Big difference in performance and a bit on fuel mileage. I keep it in tow mode for the simple fact that that’s the only time I use the truck. Love the delete, but I probably would not have spent the money if I wasn’t having trouble with it shutting down constantly. I was happy with the power it gave me to begin with.