Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-07-2017, 09:19 AM

Default Good Spirit Lake, SK

I'm planning a trip this summer to hit up Good Spirit Lake in SK and am trying to get more details and prepare for a good week's fishing. Does anyone have experience at this lake and/or know where I can find a bathymetry map of the lake?
Old 02-07-2017, 11:42 AM

I'm from that area and from what I know it is a shallow featureless bowl. What is the occasion? If your going just to fish there are better lakes in the area. But that aside I'm gunna attach a screen shot of my navionics. These can be hit and miss on small western lakes but it will give you a basic outline of contours and depths. Cheers and good luck! I'd look for shacks personally. IMG_0189.jpg
Old 02-07-2017, 02:08 PM

Thanks, Jaylive!

We're heading there purely for fishing. We've got a friend with a cabin and a boat on that lake (we won't be able to move the boat away from the lake though), so we're going to take advantage of it. We heading there early July, in hopes of walleye and perch. I hear pike and burbot also lives in that lake, too...
Old 02-08-2017, 05:53 PM

A few years ago I was dating a lady who was from there. We went out for a extra long weekend. Of course I packed my fishing gear. Once I started fishing I had non-stop action on Pike. As I recall I was near the north end of the lake by a marina fishing from shore. I must have spent too much time there because she dumped me after that. Hahahaha...
Old 02-09-2017, 10:06 AM

Congrats, Stratos! On the fishing anyways... Sorry to hear about the lady friend... How did you find the quality of the fish itself? Were they lengthy pike with good girth? I'd be targeting walleyes there but wouldn't mind some pike action!
Old 02-09-2017, 03:32 PM

A friend of mine was fishing there last summer and told me he was catching walleye shore fishing. I never asked him what part of the lake as I never figured on going there. He hooked up with a babe from Canora, so I'm guessing it was on the north end somewhere.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_rice_man View Post
Congrats, Stratos! On the fishing anyways... Sorry to hear about the lady friend... How did you find the quality of the fish itself? Were they lengthy pike with good girth? I'd be targeting walleyes there but wouldn't mind some pike action!
Rice man, the biggest Pike I caught was pretty decent, 8-9 pound range. Majority were 3 to 5lbs. Not that many axe handles which was nice and a surprise. All and all it was a great lake in my opinion. Tonnes of action. If I had a chance to go there again.... I most certainly would haul boat that distance from Calgary in a heartbeat.
Have a great trip and tight lines.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
Rice man, the biggest Pike I caught was pretty decent, 8-9 pound range. Majority were 3 to 5lbs. Not that many axe handles which was nice and a surprise. All and all it was a great lake in my opinion. Tonnes of action. If I had a chance to go there again.... I most certainly would haul boat that distance from Calgary in a heartbeat.
Have a great trip and tight lines.
Sounds like some decent fishing! We're definitely planning to fish it this summer. I also heard there's some other decent lakes close-by, so if we have no luck here for a few days, we can always head to another lake!

Cheers!
Old 02-17-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_rice_man View Post
Sounds like some decent fishing! We're definitely planning to fish it this summer. I also heard there's some other decent lakes close-by, so if we have no luck here for a few days, we can always head to another lake!

Cheers!
Lake of the Prairies isn't too far. I've heard good things about Lishing Lake, but can't really say what shore fishing would be like. Madge is close too, but again I'm not sure about shore fishing. Persse and Twin Lake, Manitoba wouldn't be much further than Madge but chasing trout in July from shore might be tough. Crooked Lake would be a little over an hour drive if you want to give catfish a go. East side, fish the mouth before the spillway. I only went once last year, landed one, lost one early and had one snap a 4/0 hook at the boat. Probably won't see any monsters but in the 5 to 15 pound range is realistic.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
Lake of the Prairies isn't too far. I've heard good things about Lishing Lake, but can't really say what shore fishing would be like. Madge is close too, but again I'm not sure about shore fishing. Persse and Twin Lake, Manitoba wouldn't be much further than Madge but chasing trout in July from shore might be tough. Crooked Lake would be a little over an hour drive if you want to give catfish a go. East side, fish the mouth before the spillway. I only went once last year, landed one, lost one early and had one snap a 4/0 hook at the boat. Probably won't see any monsters but in the 5 to 15 pound range is realistic.
Thanks for the info, Nova!