Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-29-2007, 10:06 AM
bobcatguy1

Default Carribean fishing

I'm going to Dominican Republic on Thurs. with the family. We are staying on the east side [Cartibean] & I think Ty & myself will go fishing. Does anyone know if this is bonefish country & if it's the right season? I know this is short notice but any info will be appreciated.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:24 PM
OutdoorChet

The Domincan isn't well known for good Bonefish opportunites but I'm sure there are some around. I did a fair bit of looking before I went down there last year for a wedding but I couldn't find much info on it. Although I prefer flats fishing, I decided to book a Deep Sea charter instead as there seems to be quite a few opporunites for that type of thing. I went with an outfit called Mikes Marina. He has been in operation out of Punta Cana for several years and has a really nice fleet of boats. We fished out of the 42' Intrepido and it was great. The water can be a bit bumpy there but the fishing is pretty good. If intersted, check out his website www.mikesmarina.info He was looking at getting in to some inshore type of fishing so he may be set up for that now. If not, I would give the deep sea thing a go. If there is only two of you you may want to look at a split charter to save a few bucks. We did a 1/2 day with him last year and got three nice Dorado. Here's a pic - sorry its so bloody.

Chet
Old 01-29-2007, 02:09 PM
bobcatguy1

Thanks for the info Chet. I'll check out Mikes for sure. It's good to here about nice boats there as my only other deep sea venture ended up on a 22 footer with poor working reels & rusty hooks. Sure looked nice in the photos tho. Were you able to buy liscenses on site? I'll settle for a fish like you're holding.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:02 PM
OutdoorChet

As far as I know you don't need a licence.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:56 PM
gunner 83

um...a bull dorado that size is hardly 'settling' awsome fish outdoorchet. no pictures of it when it was all lit up and colorful hey?
Old 01-29-2007, 06:30 PM
chef

Will be there next thursday myself to jump the broom ,,, definately looking forward to some open water action ,
and the swimup bar,24hr booze and tanned boobs.:rollin
Old 01-30-2007, 01:55 AM
bobcatguy1

Jump the broom?? What is that a local tradition? Chef do you mean the 1st or 7th I'm staying at the Tropical Princess Where are you Chet Mikes marina looks good. how many lines do they fish at one time?
Old 01-30-2007, 08:40 AM
cohod

Default DR

I was there over xmass/new years I don’t know about Bones but it is a good time for Dorado and Black Marlin. These pics are from the Atlantic side Punta Cana.

good luck

cohod
Old 01-30-2007, 11:42 AM
OutdoorChet

Default Re: DR

Nice pics cohod.

Bobcat: We were only running four lines as there was only four of us fishing. They will run more if you have more fishermen but it can get messy.

Gunner: I didn't get any pics of our Dorado in full colour which was a shame. I was pretty disapointed in my pics when I got back - I can't believe I didn't realize they were so bloody at the time.

I have never seen a guy lay the beats to a fish like those guys did when we brought those Dorado on board. It's no wonder so many of baseball's best hitters come from that island. It is probably a good idea to tell your crew that they can keep the fish you catch before you start because its a big part of their income and it gives them a bit more incentive to fish hard.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:24 AM
chef

bobcat /
its slang for married , golden anchor etc,
im there on the 8th at barcello punta cana .resort.use to be breezes ,apparanty its not far from mikes but there are a few there on the same stretch ,we may book the whole boat for 8 of us ,under 600 for half day ,
not sure about that though , they say if you plan marlin you should do a full day as they go to a different location because it could take up to six hrs if you snag a big marlin .
sounds good but dont think the warden could take a whole day on the water as she cant drive to safeway with me without gettin motion sick.:rollin
they fish up to seven lines and allow 3 non fishers along .
Old 01-31-2007, 12:47 AM
bobcatguy1

Hey hey congrats on the big day. Now I know you'll have a good time fish or no. I think we'll do the full day but see when we get there. I'm out the day you're in so have a great time
Old 01-31-2007, 02:57 AM
chef

Thanks bcg
be sure to post and lets see some pics as good as the others have posted and ill try to at least get out of bed in time for some fishin.,,
just trying to figure our plan ,most likely just a half day but there,s so much more to do also .
anyone else got any horror stories about food and such ,or some good stories about the other adventures,they,ve done while there.
Not to mention the endless amounts of rum that make you speek perfect spanish.:lol
Old 01-31-2007, 02:59 AM
chef

hey chet or cohod .
did you guys prebook and leave a deposit or do it as you felt while you were there.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:20 AM
OutdoorChet

Chef

Last time I pre-booked with Mike but he didn't take a deposit because his internet payment system wasn't working. Some friends booked another charter with him later in the week just by phoning ahead a couple days.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:38 PM
cohod

Default DR

I always search out a guide when I get to where ever I’m going. It lets me get a feel for the boat and guide

It works for me

Good luck
cohod
Old 01-31-2007, 03:11 PM
tuffyy

I went to Costa rica last year,and I will highly suggest a trip there.The place is amazing,the fishing was awesome.We chartered a boat for one day and caught 6 roosterfish,2 skipjack tuna,5 Dorado,some houndfish and a couple of cudas.I continued fishing for several days near a rocky beach I found and while casting a good old yellow and red len thompson with a leader caught some really cool inshore fish while casting offshore including some small groupers and my new favorite eating fish (for saltwater) mutton snappers.My biggest caught offshore was a 14lb yellowfin grouper...There are packages from Edmonton to the country with a few tour operators.Go if ya get a chance!
Old 02-01-2007, 02:35 PM
RockyMtnx

I am off to Cancun in two weeks. Cant wait for my day of fishing!