Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-25-2015, 01:45 PM

Default Caught in the Act!

I was recently panning around on google earth and saw a geo linked image thumbnail to a small lake that I remembered is often stocked for walleye rearing. The walleye are netted at the end of the summer and transported to larger lakes like Lac La Biche. Its my understanding that its a cost saving measure and also gives the fish a much more natural rearing environment.

Knowing this I was curious what the lake looked like and clicked on the image. It turned out to be one taken from a google car and when I looked down the road and noticed a couple of F & W trucks parked in the ditch and a large flat deck truck with stocking tanks. I thought it was kind of funny but also wanted to share the image for those who don't know what they transport fish fry in for stocking.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@54.38368...MGtw!2e0?hl=en
Old 03-25-2015, 01:55 PM

Pretty cool ...... the gps coords are on the link as well. Big brother watching everyone.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:57 PM
Banned

Doesn't work.

Ya need the flash update..

Last edited by LCCFisherman; 03-25-2015 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
Doesn't work.
Sure it does...
Old 03-25-2015, 02:15 PM
Banned

Yup now it works.. very cool!
Old 03-25-2015, 02:57 PM

Cool post!
Dodger
Old 03-25-2015, 03:00 PM

Awesome!

Google street view gave me an excellent view of peoples back yards. I did not know you could travel down the alleys courtesy of the google vehicle and see what people had in their back yards...

This must have been an improvement for 2014.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:25 PM

That is amazing what are the chances. So that is cool they hatch them and dump them in the lake for the summer? Then get them out before they winter kill? Is that the idea. Brilliant. These barren ponds they most really pack on the pounds with no other competition.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
That is amazing what are the chances. So that is cool they hatch them and dump them in the lake for the summer? Then get them out before they winter kill? Is that the idea. Brilliant. These barren ponds they most really pack on the pounds with no other competition.
From what i have observed ponds like these are often teeming with shrimp, stickleback and fathead minnows. If you look at FWMIS data many small ponds will report hundreds of minnows in each sampling.

From what i understood they spawn them at the hatchery and shorty after dump them in these lakes each spring. Netting and restocking to the larger lakes takes place in the fall. One fall I hiked into a lake called McDougal lake that my family used to catch nice perch in about 40 years ago and found a flat bottom boat and fyke nets. The boat and nets peaked my curiosity and i got in touch with the local biologist. He explained the whole process to me and He said the lake frequently winter killed and was netted thoroughly each fall. I would imagine the long term survivability of thousands of well fed naturally feeding fish that are three or four months old is higher or comparable to tens of thousands of fingerlings. At the very least it seems like a good way to cut costs feeding and raising fish.