Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-17-2018, 08:42 PM

Default Sylvan Lake Float Tube White’s & some Rainbows - Season End'r

Oct 17th, went out for a couple hours this afternoon, Bty day light south breeze, +24C, summer/fall is here.

Pre-spawn Whites are active, had the most success in rock/sand/gravel bottom in 12-14 fow, using my favorite mini Mr. Twister with a 1/32 oz head. Was surprised when one big pike took my micro jig, she fought & fought and dragged me around for a bit, wouldn't fit in my net, I was lucky to get her to swim up on my lap to remove the hook and take a pic. Don’t forget all Pike are C&R this year in Sylvan.

Fishin Tip … drifting with the south wind & jigging was non-productive. I had most/all of hits/hook-ups casting out and slowly worked/swimming/jigging my presentation & occasionally bouncing bottom back toward the float tube. The fish were hugging the bottom, you can feel them inhaling it & need to be quick setting the hook otherwise they’re gone.

A few pic’s …. enjoy.

David

Our new sign.

Lighthouse area close to home.

Wasn’t the only one enjoying the day.

Got a bunch of these.

Upper Lip Hook-ups are the Best.

Mouth full of Teeth!

Big Pike like Micro Bait!

Mrs was happy to get some Whites.

No Monsters all nice size.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:17 PM

Thumbs up

Nice good job
Old 10-18-2018, 05:41 AM

For the life of me I cannot catch a lake white in open water. Zip-in-Z you have posted many pictures with the little jig with a twisty tail. Are you just casting and retrieving or is this under a slip bobber?

Help an old dog learn a new trick !

Thanks, Dodger.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
For the life of me I cannot catch a lake white in open water. Zip-in-Z you have posted many pictures with the little jig with a twisty tail. Are you just casting and retrieving or is this under a slip bobber?

Help an old dog learn a new trick !

Thanks, Dodger.
Mr. D .... as mentioned in the post, no bobber, using an ultra-light outfit & 6lb floro leader I can only cast the 1/32 oz jig about 20-25 feet, then let is float/sink to bottom & slowly retrieve while jigging and picking up the slack. The Whites inhale it when the jig falls/drops and if you hit bottom occasionally I believe that's the trigger.

I tried the bobber thing numerous times, it's easier to cast out but for me not much success.

Yesterday, with the light south wind my float tube was drifting too fast. It was important to keep my presentation down & near the bottom, by casting out and holding my float tube in one position I was able to hook a number of them as well lost a few as they sure are quick.

Trust this helps.

David

Side note ... the largest one was a female with eggs developing the others were all males.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Mr. D .... as mentioned in the post, no bobber, using an ultra-light outfit & 6lb floro leader I can only cast the 1/32 oz jig about 20-25 feet, then let is float/sink to bottom & slowly retrieve while jigging and picking up the slack. The Whites inhale it when the jig falls/drops and if you hit bottom occasionally I believe that's the trigger.

I tried the bobber thing numerous times, it's easier to cast out but for me not much success.

Yesterday, with the light south wind my float tube was drifting too fast. It was important to keep my presentation down & near the bottom, by casting out and holding my float tube in one position I was able to hook a number of them as well lost a few as they sure are quick.

Trust this helps.

David

Side note ... the largest one was a female with eggs developing the others were all males.
Mr D thanks you. Keep enjoying the open water !!
Old 10-18-2018, 10:11 PM

Nice work Zip! Looks like the weather should hold for some more white fish days