Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-01-2018, 11:32 PM

Default Family Heirlooms

I was at my Dad's tonight for dinner and a late exchange of Christmas gifts was on the agenda due to family visit logistics last week. I was quite taken aback and drawn to tears by his gifting of my Great Grandfathers gold pocket watch to me. I had always admired it but was not looking forward to receiving it as I thought it would only be after my Fathers passing. I have mentioned my Great Grandfather on the forum previously, typically on Remembrance Day posts as he served in WWI with the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders out of Winnipeg. I had spent some time with my Great Grandpa as a youngster before his passing though due to my young age at the time I don't recall a lot of details of our time spent together. He was particularly close with my Dad, perhaps that is why my Dad received it instead of one of his own sons (my Dad was his daughters son). My middle name is in honor of Great-Grandpa Alexander and I'm humbled by being passed on his Masonic pocket watch. I thought some among you might like to see it, particularly those among you who are Masons. He is seated at left in the first photo. The watch still works perfectly.

I thought it might be a neat thread idea for people to share family keepsakes that mean a lot to them, whether or not they have an intrinsic value outside of their sentimental value. Something whittled out of a branch by someone you loved might well be priceless to you. Lets see your keepsakes and hear the stories behind them.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 01-02-2018 at 12:01 AM.