Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-05-2013, 06:08 PM

Default Large Ice shelters

First post so, Hi. I am getting geared up here and want to buy an ice shelter. Been reading reviews about all brands and really what I gather is none of them are a slam dunk. I kind of want a Clam Big Foot XL6000 TC Ice Shelter just for the large area but wondering if I should go with the big Eskimo. Any thoughts?
Old 12-05-2013, 06:25 PM

Welcome to the forum!

I recommend the Eskimo 6 man pop up over the Clam.

After purchasing a clam a few years ago, and being disappointed with the quality of the construction, I returned it and bought the Eskimo.

The double tent design is definitely the way to go, I've never fished 6 in it, but two people and gear fit nicely. We never fish more than three in it, just for comfort.

It has zero issues after 2 seasons and a few trips this year.

Partner it with a Big Buddy heater and even in -30 with wind we are very warm inside.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:44 PM

Ya I was lookin at the Fatfish 9416 but the material isnt as thick so thats when I started looking at the Clam. The Clam footprint is pretty impressive and had wondered if the big buddy was enough to do the trick. Thanks for the confirmation.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:54 PM

4th season in my Frabill Hub 6 person. No issues. I want to buy the Clam 1660 mag next, that thing is huge! Either way you go I don't think you"ll be dissapointed. Welcome to the forum!
Old 12-05-2013, 08:23 PM

I have the Clam Command Post 6 man and I actually like the construction quality. I also really like the heavier material.

Price was good too at the time I bought it. $250.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 12-05-2013, 10:38 PM

I have the Eskimo 949i - it is very well insulated and very well built. It's a 4 man - but really 2-3 guys, with gear, sonar, camera, heater etc.... and you still have some room. It's 8ft x 8ft.

Insulated is the way to go - you might be in the market for the bigger version - 9416 ( I believe it comes in a insulated version as well).