Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-02-2017, 02:25 PM

Default Charter/Cabin talk

Background

Looking for some feedback. I'm heading back to the Yukon after spending a few years in Alberta - already bought a place in Whitehorse. Also, I'm also in the middle of buying a rustic cabin on Tagish Lake, which is a 100 km long monster of a lake one hour from Whitehorse that straddles the Yukon and northern BC. There is essentially nothing else on the lake other than three 5-star style resorts spaced about 10 miles apart. These are places which cater to rich German and Swiss adventure seekers.

Primary use of the cabin will be for private family use, but I'm also toying with the idea of running an overnight charter business on the side through the summer months. I feel it may be a nice way to be on the water for our short but beautiful summers and subsidize my trout habit at the same time : )

My Questions

1) Is there a market for this sort of operation?

- easy, economical direct flight to Whitehorse from YEG or YYC via Air North
- total seclusion in a water-access rustic log cabin, approx 13 miles via lake from the nearest town (400 people).
- the fancy lodges are 3, 12 and 13 miles away, respectively. no neighbours.
- next to nobody else on the lake
- think of a fly-in type setting without having the cost of the air taxi
- guided fishing for trophy lakers and northerns, plus lots of grayling ... boat would be a Hewescraft/Alumacraft welded type, approx 20 to 22' and fully setup with downriggers, tackle and safety gear
- meals provided, quality home cooking coming off of a wood cook stove
- bedding and bunks provided
- transfer to and from the airport provided

2) Would $250/day hit the mark? (based on quad occupancy)

- everything covered except your flight to the Yukon ($450 return), your booze and your fishing license ($25/year for Canadian non-resident)

I look at my rough numbers and I think that I can pull it off at that rate. By the time I pay for food, fuel, insurance, licensing, gear and maintenance my overhead does start to climb, but I really want to keep this as a blue collar sort of spot.

I read about these Yukon guided moose and sheep hunts going for tens of thousands of dollars, and I see these 5-star fly-in camps costing an arm and a leg, and I can't help but think that I can show people a great time in the Territory while keeping it on budget. The trade off is that unlike all of the others places my spot wouldn't have 1000 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets or a gourmet European chef on staff. Does this interest folks?
Old 05-02-2017, 04:01 PM

If you were set up today, I'd do it. So long as you're correct and a return flight to Whitehorse from YEG is $450. $250/day seems pretty reasonable if all one would be expected to do is BYOB. Real question is how good is the fishing in that lake? What are all the species?
Old 05-02-2017, 06:59 PM

Lots of regulations on lakes they may have exclusive rights you'd probably have to do a little bit of research

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2017, 07:31 PM

You may want to check into some prices I've managed lots of fly-in Fishing lodges and if you're paying a guide, 250 a day is not a lot of money . Flying in everything costs about a buck-fifty a pound used to anyway if you can do a trip for 250 a day I'll come good luck on your adventure

Old 05-02-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrance Fishburn View Post
If you were set up today, I'd do it. So long as you're correct and a return flight to Whitehorse from YEG is $450. $250/day seems pretty reasonable if all one would be expected to do is BYOB. Real question is how good is the fishing in that lake? What are all the species?
Air north has frequent sales if you watch ahead of time. When I flew to Whitehorse my trip was only $300 dollars round trip. Air north is also a great airline. 2 bags with 50lb limit (I think) are included so I had no problem taking all of my fishing gear up with me plus a carry on.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
You may want to check into some prices I've managed lots of fly-in Fishing lodges and if you're paying a guide, 250 a day is not a lot of money . Flying in everything costs about a buck-fifty a pound used to anyway if you can do a trip for 250 a day I'll come good luck on your adventure

35: I appreciate your feedback - somebody who has worked the business is exactly whose brain I need to pick! Not trying for a fly in operation. This would be a spot that's 12 miles by boat to access - no air taxis would keep the costs down a ton. The fact that the Yukon is empty is what makes it so darn secluded without needing to fly. Also, it would be just me doing the guiding and cooking. Low overhead should keep costs down.

Also, there is one other guy running a charter in the area for patrons of his high class resort. I hear you on the regs, but I think this one is good to go. That being said, there are strict slot sizes and catch and release keeps the fish stocks up!

Lowrance: Thanks for your opinion. flyairnorth.com - less than $450 return from YEG in August. Air North is a great airline to deal with!

And this fishing is just fine ; ) Lakers in the depths, northern pike in the shallows, grayling at the river mouths.

The last time I fished this lake was the night of my bachelor party back in 2013. We did alright. We got 3 nice trout within an hour of being out - 9 pm or so. My brother in law with the small one of the night and my best friend with the big one.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:29 PM

knew a guy who tried to do something similar in sask. long story short, he got 'nickeled and dimed' to death. $500 for this, $2000 for that, everything costs more up there, etc. etc.... after 4 years he cut his losses. It's worth looking into but make sure you have a calculated a healthy profit margin (knowing it'll be less) and aren't risking anything you can't afford to lose.

Good luck on your adventure!
Old 06-27-2017, 09:30 PM

done deal! heard from my lawyer that everything is in place. property closes tomorrow.

i got up there a couple weeks ago and had a great trip in checking it out. the buildings are in good shape and the location is divine - right down to the sandy beach full of moose track. when the boat left the bay on departure at the end of the visit a big cow strolled right along the beach and added to them ...

this is going to be my family cabin, and with luck in a couple short years it will also represent my summer employment ; )

there are some nice fish in this lake. this one is 50+ lbs, courtesy of the talented girl who used to cut my hair when i last lived in whitehorse:

Last edited by Peace Meal Farm; 06-27-2017 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:26 PM

$250/day/guy? That's very reasonable and I'm sure you will not have trouble getting customers ...... as long as you can make money at that rate.

I'd come up and be one of your "test pilot" cases, and would be happy to pay !!!
Old 06-28-2017, 08:11 AM

I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit jealous... Very nice!

Looks like you may have a sweet setup there! Hope it all works out really well for you!
Old 06-28-2017, 11:07 AM

At $250/day/pp, my son and I would try it out.

That a good price and right on the mark for a no-frills trip.
A guy could do a 3 day fishing trip with driving up for close to $1000 each for two or three guys.....even a great family (older kids) vacation.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
At $250/day/pp, my son and I would try it out.

That a good price and right on the mark for a no-frills trip.
A guy could do a 3 day fishing trip with driving up for close to $1000 each for two or three guys.....even a great family (older kids) vacation.

Bingo. That's exactly what I'm after - a true meat and potatoes kind of offering with good fishing, good food and good company, all the while getting people out into a location which traditionally commands top dollar for outfitting and guided trips.

I really appreciate everybody's feedback both here and via PM. When the time comes to start bookings - likely spring/summer 2019 (the to do list is long before opening) - I'll be the first one to sign up as an advertiser here on AO. It's only fair to support the community which can support you.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:12 AM

One step closer! 22' C-Dory Angler : )

Old 05-15-2018, 01:54 AM

Wow I wish you a lot of luck. Following your dream. I bought some land in Atlin chickened out sold it. Still in the Alberta oil patch. Let us know when your up and running. I will book 4 guys.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:09 PM

Seams cheep to me.
I know out in Rupert you are paying at least $1000.00 per day just for the boat, that doesn't include staying. I looked at going north for a trip and it was going to cost $5000.00 a week plus flights plus boose plus tips plus fishing licences./
So $250 a day is bloody cheep.
If you do it let us all know and I bet we fill up all your open slots
Old 05-15-2018, 04:19 PM

Glad that there is some strong interest. Wifey and I are pushing right along getting this place ready - new roof and windows for the guest cabin are coming up, plus new dock stringers and decking to compliment the C-Dory.

Pricing at 250 is not set in stone but that is the target. I really want to keep this blue collar. I also still have my day job to pay the bills. That being said, when the time comes if 250 is perceived as great value then feel free to tip ; )