Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-04-2013, 09:57 PM

Default McGregor reservoir

Hey everyone
I went out to McGregor on monday and tuesday, bad idea monday. Anyway, tuesday I got on top of a nice school of whities and to my frustration couldent even get a nibble. Im use to fishing for them on simcoe using spoons and bad boyz but they didnt seem interested in any of my eastern tactics, any suggestions? Maybe they feed more on bugs due to a lack of baitfish im not sure, it was only my second time on McGregor. Any tips or help would be appreciated
Thanks and tight lines everyone
Old 12-04-2013, 10:25 PM
Banned

Hammer a penny or a copper slug around a couple of hooks (or one or three), like the attached picture. Buff the penny with a wire brush.

When bumping the bottom for LW's, sharp short jigs with about 3 to 5 seconds.
Attached Images
File Type: png LWQE2.png (2.2 KB, 196 views)
Old 12-04-2013, 11:57 PM
Banned

just read my last post. The hooks should be on the inside of the folded penny/slug like a tiny hook taco. As for jigging, 3 - 5 second pauses as it sits on the bottom.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:40 PM

Wetaskiwin Spoons (only at Fishin' Hole) in brass or copper but often chartreuse works too. Same jigging action as mentioned above except sometimes pause/hold the lure above bottom and at the approx depth the fish are cruising. They will take it when it stops moving, much like perch do. I fished Lake Simcoe for more than 20 years - effective techniques are different out here where we tend to sight fish the whites in relatively shallow water more often than back east where I often fished at 80" or more.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:45 PM

It sure was frustrating seeing the whites cruising right below us and not even turnin on our presentations, I had one comin ripping in across the hole after letting my jig sit then popping it a few times but it wasn't even close or came back just shot through and kept moving. We'll figure them out yet tho
Old 12-06-2013, 10:27 AM

And (in my limited experience) sometimes they just wouldn't take anything.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:31 PM
Banned

Wetaskawin specials are available at lots of places besides the fishing hole, just not your big box stores. You can get them at Sylvesters Source for Sports in Bonnyville, ExIsle in Cold Lake, Franchere Bay General Store at Franchere Bay Moose Lake, and Poachers Corner in Glendon, just off the top of my head.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Wetaskawin specials are available at lots of places besides the fishing hole, just not your big box stores. You can get them at Sylvesters Source for Sports in Bonnyville, ExIsle in Cold Lake, Franchere Bay General Store at Franchere Bay Moose Lake, and Poachers Corner in Glendon, just off the top of my head.
Volcan gas station had them too, fishing hole in Calgary usually had them, not sure about WSS, but think I saw them there too.