Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-06-2018, 08:44 PM

Default Fishing Kayak questions

Hey guys so I finally got my first fishing kayak and want to get it all set up with a few accessories and fish finder. So I was just wondering what fish finders you guys use/suggest and how you mount them. As well as your favourite accessories for the kayak!! If you guys wanted to post pictures of your setup that would be helpful too! Thanks in advance!

Brandon
Old 05-06-2018, 10:05 PM

You can use whatever you want, some guys use the cheapo 4 inch finders and some use 9+ inch models with all the bells and whistles. What you choose to go with comes down to what you want and how much you are willing to spend.

Options to research/consider are

GPS (do you want GPS so you can mark waypoints and use maps etc)
Maps (many fish finders come with map packages, Navionics + are the best commercially available and most common)
Map Creation (some of the new fish finders are capable of making their own depth charts)
Down Imaging (gives a more detailed view of the bottom to help distinguish if sonar return is a rock, tree, fish etc)
Side Imaging (like down imaging but shoots out to each side to help you see even more of the area around you and help you find structure)

I personally like to have GPS and having maps is nice too(Navionics not all that accurate though which makes map creation really nice). My recommendation for a cheaper unit would be something like a Helix 5 GPS G2 with Nav+(costs $500) which has GPS, Navionics maps and can be used to make your own maps using what they call autochart live, there is another similar model with DI as well for a bit more($575). Lowrance has a similar unit in the new Hook2 5 Splitshot with Nav which also has down imaging, you have to pay a yearly subscription to use their live map creation function though, price is $420.

Next steps up are going to something with a 7+ inch screen which you can do if you just want something a bit bigger/more visible. Same models just larger size is what I would look at.

If you want side imaging then get at least a 7 inch model. Helix 7, Hook2 7 or Elite Ti 7 are the cheaper options. Larger units make it even easier to read screen but add to price substantially.

As for mounting non side imaging units will be easier since they use smaller transducers. Some fishing kayaks have systems for mounting transducers/fish finders easier. Your options are to use a transducer arm(works decent but adds drag), mounting transducer to mounting system(if your kayak has one), mounting transducer inside hull to shoot thru the plastic hull(works decent if done right, temp isn't accurate and if poorly done reading quality can be effected), thru scupper hole mount(works on some kayaks). Best way to mount will depend on your kayak and fish finder chosen.

Other accessories worth having are

Anchor trolley(makes boat control when anchored easier)
Crate for tackle and to hold spare rods etc(I am a Hobie guy so use Hobie's H-Crate, really helps keep you organized)
Rod holders (self explanatory, want ones behind you for extra rods and one in front for trolling with)
Most other things are personal preference.

My rig (Hobie Outback with Lowrance Elite Ti 7, transducer mounted in transducer mounting system, H-Crate)

Last edited by RavYak; 05-06-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:26 PM

Awesome thanks for the reply Rav! That’s definitely some stuff I’m going to consider and do some research on now! Seeing your rig definitely helps me imagine a few things so that helps a lot!
Old 05-06-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger91 View Post
Awesome thanks for the reply Rav! That’s definitely some stuff I’m going to consider and do some research on now! Seeing your rig definitely helps me imagine a few things so that helps a lot!
Missing from my picture is a rod holder on the side rail opposite my fish finder. Same idea, just a Scotty base up to a Scotty rod holder.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:24 AM

I am using a helix 5 di gps I think that is the best maybe a 7” would be better but the price gets a bit much. You want the gps feature. The ram mount transducer arm is much better than the Scotty. But everything else I used was scotty.

Last edited by raw outdoors; 05-07-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:06 AM

I run the transducer through a scupper hole, I just basically wedge it in with a bit of pool noodle. Sounder arms just seem like places to get hung up on at the wrong moment there is already a lot of things sticking up on deck and I would not add one if I could help it.

Depending on the sounder fishing the wire through the hull can be convenient or annoying. I don’t know if all portables run like this but last year I bought a used portable hummingbird and the sounder was on a quick connect (I guess to make switching between ice and summer transducers easier). Typically I steered away from portables since it’s such an easy DIY but that quick connect might well make it worth it, along with being able to use it ice fishing, if that is something you do.

I also like to run the transducer as far forward as possible that way if you are in a vertical jigging setup it easier to have your jig in the cone.

And before you do anything too drastic (anything that includes drilling) fish a few times to really learn what annoys you, extra holes are things you need to avoid if you can
Old 05-07-2018, 07:10 PM

This is all great advice and gives me stuff to consider! I really appreciate it!
Old 05-07-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
I am using a helix 5 di gps I think that is the best maybe a 7” would be better but the price gets a bit much. You want the gps feature. The ram mount transducer arm is much better than the Scotty. But everything else I used was scotty.
I used the Scotty transducer arm and enjoyed it. It took a beating going down the Bow and didn't break, or move. It was also very easy to adjust quickly like raising and lowering.

This year I upgraded to an Elite 5 TI, and unfortunately the Scotty Arm was no match for a TotalScan transducer... RAM makes a specific mounting bracket for this transducer and from my understanding works very well.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:59 PM

What do you use to transport your kayak?

For the past several years I’ve been putting mine on the rack on my van, but I’m considering a little trailer to hitch to the van. Since kayak and canoe trailers are so expensive, I was thinking of using a simple utility trailer. Any recommendations from current users?
Old 05-08-2018, 07:15 AM

I forgot to mention Kijiji Canada has plenty of fishfinders $350 helix 5 gps G2 in Winnipeg I payed $450 with that navionics chip.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:34 AM

There is no reason why utility trailer not to work, though I would think a slightly longer one would be better if you don’t want to modify too much. Mind you if you know someone who welds you could make up something quite nice.

I am still roof racking mine, but this year to save the back I am buying a deer hoist to lift up the boat. In the past if I was alone I would lean the boat up on an open door and lift the back onto the rack.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlehr View Post
What do you use to transport your kayak?

For the past several years I’ve been putting mine on the rack on my van, but I’m considering a little trailer to hitch to the van. Since kayak and canoe trailers are so expensive, I was thinking of using a simple utility trailer. Any recommendations from current users?
I prefer to put mine on my roof rack as a trailer involves having a place to store it, more cost, maintenance of trailer wheels, less mobility(if going into some back road areas) etc.

It also has advantages though(easier on back, can leave gear in/on kayaks, build storage into trailer etc).

Ultimately it just comes down to personal preference. As for choosing a trailer you can probably convert almost anything to a kayak trailer with a bit of modification. Google kayak trailers and you will likely find lots of examples to get a better idea of what guys are using.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:42 PM

My Hobie PA12 is a little heavy to put up on a rack solo,- although I still do now and again. But generally I use this Yakima trailer for the Hobie with an old 'coffin-style' ski carrier for the accessories. If you do something similar, look for an older style FLAT TOP ski carrier - it makes a great work station or picnic table. The newer one's tops are rounded.
The ski carrier is easily removed and a second kayak can be carried in its place.

If you're looking at those inexpensive fold-up utility trailers, be sure to check the tire ratings, some are only rated for 55 mph max. Also, consider where you plan on going. The independent suspension of the Yakima and other purpose-built kayak trailers are far better on rough roads and trails. They sure save shaking your yak and gear to pieces, and the lack of a rear axle gives great clearance for ruts. My Yakima trailer handles 120 kph on the highway, right down to 2-track 4x4 trails, but it was pricey.

DSCN1188 by Andrew Whittick, on Flickr

DSCN1193 by Andrew Whittick, on Flickr
Old 05-10-2018, 03:59 PM

You might want to look into installing some track rails on your kayak. I have a Jackson Kilroy with 4 sets of rails that I use all the time for various set-ups. Best place I've found in Calgary to get the mounts is GPS City.

Fish Finder / GPS - I use a Garmin Stryker 4 - paid less than $200 and am very happy with it so far. My FF is mounted with a Ram attachment right on one of the rails. I mounted the transducer on the bottom inside with some plumber's putty. As RavYak said, the temp is not too accurate, but it seems ok if I've been in the water for a while. The transducer and power wires are mounted to the kayak so I only need to pull the FF and battery.

Power Source - I power it with a motorcycle battery that I had laying around. I ran the power wire to behind the seat where I have some alligator clips for the battery. I just picked up a Plano marine storage box that I'm going to use for the battery and also to set up a mobile charging station / light source.

Milk Crate -I have a used milk crate that I put in the back for carrying everything else. I don't like the setups where the rods are stored straight up on the crate behind you as it interferes with casting, especially when you are fly fishing.

Rod Holders - Kayak has built in holders so my extra rods go in there. I have a couple of rod mounts for on the rails so I can put the rod there to troll.

Anchor System - I picked up a trolley anchor system at Bass Pro. I don't use it too much because I prefer to fly fish and would rather drift.

Safety Equipment - You need a bailer, whistle and rope. (And yes, according to the CO I talked to last year, you need a bailer on a sit on top kayak. Mine's a sit-in so I need it anyways).

I'll get some pics up when I clean up the kayak this spring. You can also check out Jackson's website for some ideas.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:11 PM

Forgot two more things -

Kayak Wheels - Bought mine at Mountain Equipment Co-op. Use them all the time because I fully load my yak and then take it to the shore like a wheelbarrow full of goodies.

Roof Rack - I use a Thule Kayak carrier on the top of my truck. The one I have has a roller extension that I put the yak on from the back and then slide it forward. I always carry my kayak bottom down because it is pretty heavy.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:23 PM

You guys are fantastic!! Thanks for all the great advice. I’m definitely looking into a track system for sure sounds like the way to go! And to carry my kayak I have a small 10’ utility trailer I can use as well as a boat rack for the box of my truck!
Old 05-11-2018, 09:04 AM

I throw my yak in the back of the truck, sits on a couple pieces of foam. Then haul it to the water on my home made cart.
I don't have any electronics (yet), but have slowly added things. Every time I go out, I figure out something new or tweak something to make it better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg samsung 023.jpg (77.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg SDC10041.jpg (110.0 KB, 38 views)
Old 05-12-2018, 09:14 PM

Look up Zoffinger on YouTube, a lot of great video's on setting up your yak.
Also look up how to set up kayak trailers, more great ideas.
I took my Hobie PA14 to Texas, over to Florida and back on the roof of my Hyundai on pool noodles.
I am currently setting up my old Snow Bear trailer to haul my Yaks.
Kayak derby next week at Dickson pond
Old 05-14-2018, 07:53 AM

I use a truck box extender to haul my yak around. Have a pool noodle to pad the bar and it rides really well.
Good advice to go out and use it first before rigging it out to much. Make sure you know where you want things before popping holes.

BH