Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-28-2010, 08:25 AM

Default Marie Lake?

I'm looking for some info on Marie lake north of Cold lake. Is there a camp site there on the lake or do I take my 14' in with the quad?
Just lookng for my options on getting to this lake.
Any help would be great.
Thanks guys
Old 05-28-2010, 08:36 AM

The lake opens for fishing the 1st of June. There is camping on the North side of the lake full service.(shelter Bay I think). it has a boat launch but it is soft sand so use of a 4X4 is highly recommended. Nice little beach. They do have a website also.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:58 PM

You can drive into Marie. Campground is called Sheltered Bay. Beautiful lake but other lakes in the area have much better fishing.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstar View Post
The lake opens for fishing the 1st of June. There is camping on the North side of the lake full service.(shelter Bay I think). it has a boat launch but it is soft sand so use of a 4X4 is highly recommended. Nice little beach. They do have a website also.
While there is sand on the launch, I found out last year that there is a concrete pad under it. Thought I was stuck good, when all I needed was some throttle. lol
Old 05-28-2010, 03:28 PM

There is some great Walleye fishing on Marie I know some guys that have lots up there and have caught a lot of 10# plus. They use bottom bouncers with leeches and work underwater structure super slow, they won't give away locations to me though.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:35 AM

Can hold a candle to Touchwood, Pinehurst, Wolf, Helena, or Siebert or even Cold if you know where to go. But is a nice lake for a swim or boat ride.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:15 AM

Thanks for the tips! How about the Alberta fish & Game campsite on the west side? Can you drive a pick-up to it?
I'd like to stay on the west side somewhere.
I was hoping to find a place to camp that is NOT in a camp site? I can take the boat and tent in with the quad trailer.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:06 PM

Marie is great!!! Its not dead !!
Old 05-29-2010, 04:00 PM

I fish all of Penners lake mentioned and NO offence but my opinion is that Marie is better.I fish all those lakes both summer and winter but for numbers, my experience has been better hands down on Marie.In winter, its a tough lake to fish, summer, Ive caught 65 cm fish on every third cast with 40 cm fish in between, just my opinion but for me, Marie has been far better.Its nothing to catch 70 fish in 3 hours if the bite is on and its way closer to my home, less than 1/2 hour and Im landing fish
Old 05-29-2010, 04:02 PM

Sorry Penner, I thought you posted that it couldnt hold a candle to all those lakes you mentioned, after looking over your post just realized it, sorry
Old 05-30-2010, 04:45 AM

Default Tyee33

AssClown
Old 05-30-2010, 07:36 AM

My post should say "Can't" so your original thought Tyee was correct. I still stand by what I said that Touchwood, Pinehurst, Wolf, Helena, or Siebert are better lakes for fishing. Trying them all out for yourself is the only way to make your own opinions. They are all awesome lakes for various reasons.

There is a primitive camping spot in between the Air Force Campground turnoff and the turnoff to Sheltered Bay. Only a few hundred yards of the highway right close to the lake. Big water hole just as you get in so if you don't have a 4x4 don't try it.

There are also some primitive camping spots on the far west side of the lake but it’s been awhile since I've been in on that side so I wouldn't dare give you directions.

Worst case lots of cut lines around.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:31 AM

The fish and game no longer have a camp site on Marie lake and you can't get pickup there. big 4X4 trail only, big mud holes.Sheltered bay is your best bet and fishing can be good, right place right time
Old 05-30-2010, 04:10 PM

Default Marie Sucks!

Marie Sucks....Stay away. I heard from fish and game that the lake winter killed. I wouldn't waste my boat gas. The previous mentioned lakes are far better IMHO.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:05 PM

actually, your right, stay away from Marie, worst lake in the area for walleye, big time winter kill as DLP mentioned, poor boat launch, tonnes of mosquitoes, terrible camping.......