Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-30-2010, 10:16 PM

Vinny If your buddy was not happy with his treatment and it was a wildlife enforcement officer who checked him, your local F&G club has access to channels to bring this to the head of enforcement. If it was a C.O. they can still help get him educated through his park boss. but your buddy has to make the call.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:33 AM

Out of curiousity, where in the province did this occur?
Old 05-31-2010, 01:46 PM

Contrary to whatever they think obviously, people travel to go fishing, I fish a lot in the home country (sask) where at least the last time I went it was still legal to fish with barbs, so no i'm not going to pinch any of mine until right before they hit the alberta waters. I've had a few really good run-ins with F&W but would take offense to anyone going through my entire tackle box.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:39 PM

I woudl be willing to wager that it was one of two scenarios and both are okay. The first is there was a reason; alcohol (which the poster ruled out), illegally possessing fish or some other contraband. The second is that the Officer asked if he could look inside his box and the fisherman consented. I have had an officer check through my truck in the winter (at Spencer) and through my tackle (at Seibert).

In both cases I consented, but asked the officer after they searched why they looked. At Spencer it was because they were on a high alert for poachers and caught several people in the prior weeks stashing fish in their trucks. At Seibert the officer noted that a lot of people fish Seibert with scented bodies and gulp artificial bait - both of which are not allowed on Seibert. He found some in my box and reminded me that it was illegal. Both guys were respectful. However, the first guy also told me that when people don't consent, the Officers are just a bit more suspicious.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryisnky View Post
I have a friend who was fishing off shore last weekend & a warden came up to him & checked him out, the rig he was using was pinched so he was good to go. The warden opened up his tackle box without asking and went through all his tackle. He gave him the gears & told him that he should have every barb pinched in his box. Has anyone had this happen to them & is there a rule saying everything has to be pinched in your box, even though it is brand new & never been used?
I cannot figure out why a Warden would just open up a closed fishing box without asking first. I am not a lawyer but if there was anything illegal in the closed fishing box would that not be considered an illegal search and seizure.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:50 PM

i would have him charged with invasion of privacy and harassment since he had no evidence he was doing anything wrong