Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-24-2018, 03:02 PM

^ That really sucks, elkhunter. Wish you a quick recovery. Back issues is no joke. The reason I was away earlier was a back issue my sister had. Quite a bit more serious than a nerve issue, but nonetheless. All went as well as it could with her surgery; recovery will take months though if not years.

I have not hunted birds for two years now due to luck of time. Miss it greatly. I started hunting with birds a few years ago. Funnest time a guy can have with a gun, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snm View Post
I harvested 2 spring bears one cinnamon and on blacky. The rest of the season so far has been training and BIRDS BIRDS BIRDS! Trying to get my WPG some experience under his collar. So far its been going as well as could be expected.
Congrats! Sounds like fun times.

I keep saying to myself for 3 years now that this is the season I am going to take my first bear. I still didn't. This year didn't work out due to me being away and things to catch up on. Also, I plan to take a fall bear, yet I don't really see them all that often during fall. Late spring/summer I see one probably 2 out of 3 times I am out; not all are good size bears, of course, but the fact remains. I really don't know where they disappear in late August-ish - mid September-ish, though I never really looked for one specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
My season started off snowy before rifle elk on the 17th then the snow melted it got nice we took one bull in the early season, came back for a couple weekends in October took my bull a couple days ago so far so good, now scouting for a big Whitetail got some great areas.
Well done! And thank you for sharing the photos. Not sure if I will be after a whitetail this season. Good luck with yours! Hope to see some pics with a cranker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
FYI you aren't eligible to buy a general elk (bull/antlered) if you were successful in an antlerless draw regardless if you purchase the draw tag or not. It will not show up as an available option for you to purchase.
Thanks. I didn't know that. Regardless, I purchased all my tags yesterday in the morning, including the antlerless tag. I usually buy them all in the beginning of the season, but happened to leave shorty after the start this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineguy View Post
My season starts tomorrow a.m.
8 day sheep hunt followed by an elk hunt later in Nov.

Good Luck everyone and congrats to all who have been out already whether or not you have been successful. To me it's more about getting out than anything else......I look forward to it the whole year.
Good luck, alpineguy! Loved your posts/threads from last year's moose hunt and others. Hope to see more of it in the near future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Managed a P&Y archery antelope, passed on at least 20 elk so far looking for THE one. Dad shot a nice archery cow elk last weekend so the pressure is off freezer wise. Now to chase some archery white tails.

LC
The one bigger than last year? Or was it two years ago, not sure (the one on the avatar). How does one set a goal after a bull like that? Good luck!

I took a decent whitetail last year (never measured, but probably in 170s, gross). Not sure what goals to set next time I am chasing one. Still haven't seen the one I was really after last season since about mid-December. That's the goal, I guess, if he is still around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
We went up to a northern wmu for bull moose and we only filled one of the two tags we had. The only other bull moose I saw was a huge bull and cow but they were in the wildlife corridor so couldn’t shoot him. Did see another dead bull in the wildlife corridor with the nose cut off.

I’ve got all my permission lined up for November so hopefully I can find a decent whitetail.

Heading out tomorrow to a southern wmu with my buddy as he has a cow elk tag and i’ll Be packing my shotgun for sharptail.
Good luck with the elk!

One moose tag is better than none. We failed miserably with general archery bull. Saw one for the books, but he was smart and we could not get him closer than just over 100 yards (106, if I remember correctly). Later got busted by a young bull and that was it for moose hunting for us.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:47 PM

So far i missed a huge whitetail buck with the bow on opening day, got one Hungarian partridge, 4 sharptails, 2 mallards, unknown number of ground squirrels, and one magpie.

On a side note i am currently about to be out of steaks.

Sad times but November is right around the corner, gonna put down the pointy stick and pick up the canon.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:49 AM

Had a good archery season chasing elk. Unfortunately I never arrowed one, but any elk hunting is good hunting. Called in a few small legal bulls to within 30 yards and let them walk. Also called in a bull for one of my buddies to 11 yards, which was his personal best elk. On Tuesday I decided to go look for elk again and stumbled on my 2018 whitetail buck. He was feeding on the edge of a cut block and I walked up right into 30 yards behind him. Dropped him on the spot with my 270 wsm. For once I shot an animal close to a quad trail for an easy recovery, and at 11am it made for an easy day. Now to try for later season elk, something I haven’t tried to much before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 42FB3195-5975-494F-B0D6-44C52D5F6EC9.jpg (31.6 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg 33AE934E-BAD1-4511-8A02-94D614A24D6C.jpg (28.1 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg 0874A3BD-1B15-4ACF-859F-ACFCE0B5FE6E.jpg (17.5 KB, 109 views)
Old 10-26-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Lublinkhof View Post
Had a good archery season chasing elk. Unfortunately I never arrowed one, but any elk hunting is good hunting. Called in a few small legal bulls to within 30 yards and let them walk. Also called in a bull for one of my buddies to 11 yards, which was his personal best elk. On Tuesday I decided to go look for elk again and stumbled on my 2018 whitetail buck. He was feeding on the edge of a cut block and I walked up right into 30 yards behind him. Dropped him on the spot with my 270 wsm. For once I shot an animal close to a quad trail for an easy recovery, and at 11am it made for an easy day. Now to try for later season elk, something I haven’t tried to much before.
>>
Nice animals you guys managed to close your tags on. Nice high and wide Whitetail. Love it!
Old 10-26-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brie21 View Post
Got my first archery harvest and my biggest buck early in the season.
>>
Beauty buck!! Congrats to you!
Old 10-26-2018, 06:37 PM

after our shoot the other night with Oldgutpile, sdvc, and Zippo45/70
The little 20 gauge hammer doubles did well for sdvc and myself!
Cat
Old 10-26-2018, 07:02 PM

Thanks Howard! I was pretty darn happy to just stumble on a buck like that.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
I thought it could be interesting to see how everyone's season is going. Have you seen anything interesting or just have a pic you think is worth posting. If you guys are not interested, just disregard this thread

I went out with a couple of friends today looking for elk (and moose on a side). We have not gotten a single response though, nor have we seen anything aside from a few whitetail does. It was a great hike, nevertheless, and great time with the guys. Here are a couple of pics:

Now, this was something interesting I saw the other day on the way to the bush. A young mule deer (this year's) chasing a crow with whatever it had in its beak. I spend probably good five minutes watching him run after that crow. It was fun for me, probably more so for him. The mother and the sibling were standing 20 meters away just staring at me the whole time and the little guy just would not stop. I should have made a video.

i went to blue ridge yesterday and what a surprize my best deer hunting spot has been logged out gone whAT A SAD SIGHT have to move on some where else . on a bright side plenty scrap wood around