Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-28-2010, 03:34 PM

Default Whats the worst gear you've bought lately

I want to know what the worst gear you've bought lately is? I have to be honest and say the worst I've bought in years is Mustad leaders. I love the hooks and use them and ownes a lot but the leaders and useless!! I fish mostly for pike and target big ones. I bought some Mustad leaders at the local Canadian Tire and even a 10lb pike with pull the leaders apart.
I can say that some of the best leaders out there are the Berkley Fireline leaders, they do wear some when fishing for pike but more than make up for it with their ease of use.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:03 PM

Yup... mustad 36inch 50lb test leaders, lost a lot of pike on Wab this winter /w them snapping at the clasp/coming undone, mailed them abunch of broken ones /w a nasty letter, no reply.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:04 PM

I lost three nice hooks to leaders at coal on Wed, never again!
Old 05-28-2010, 04:17 PM

I suggest cutting the clip off and using a splitring ......... little more pain in the ass to change OR run your leaders backwards the ones i buy have a swivel on both ends a clip on one end and split ring on the other i run the clip as far from the lure as i can ..... I dunno works for me just a few suggestions maybe they will work for you too
Old 05-28-2010, 05:14 PM

berkley steel/wire leaders are terrible as well.

fishing season has been open for a week.. here are my bad and good so far

Bad
-berley leaders
-rattiln L traps. after one small pike ALL the paint has been falling off.. a little more comes off each cast. for 12$ a pop I am not impressed at all.

Good
-power pro braid.
-9 inch grandma lure. worked great for pike and held up after 60 + plus fish including a 15-18lbs fish.
-duramaxx trolling motor. picked it up for 104$ at canadian T. 38lbs thrust.. great so far
Old 05-28-2010, 05:27 PM

The HawkEye Portable Depth Finder. Paid $99, this thing is junk! Hasn't given me a depth reading yet, just water temp. I've given up! Waste of money!
Old 05-28-2010, 05:28 PM

I've had problems in the past with leaders breaking. The issue is mainly the low grade hardware used on the leaders you can buy. With that said, I've started making my own with quality hardware and have not had any problems with anymore breakage. When all said and done if you buy quantities of good hardware pricing is close.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:07 PM

I don't buy bad gear
Old 05-29-2010, 02:26 PM

$520.00 aqua vu quad camera system.

First battery lasted 1.5 hours, 2nd one lasted 2, then one of the cameras went black, and the lead weight fell off.

No more Aqua vu for me.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Fishingnutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75ft Arborist View Post
The HawkEye Portable Depth Finder. Paid $99, this thing is junk! Hasn't given me a depth reading yet, just water temp. I've given up! Waste of money!
DUDE that's awesome, you know how many huge Lakers you can target and other fish that only like a specific temp to eat. I don't have my book here, it's in Calgary. Keep that little unit and when I get out in July I'll give you a list of fish that are temp specific. Maybe i'll even buy it off you.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75ft Arborist View Post
Yes, I purchased one of those last ice fishing season. They are very expensive thermometers.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingnutter View Post
DUDE that's awesome, you know how many huge Lakers you can target and other fish that only like a specific temp to eat. I don't have my book here, it's in Calgary. Keep that little unit and when I get out in July I'll give you a list of fish that are temp specific. Maybe i'll even buy it off you.
It only gives you the surface water temp. There are better options for water temp.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:43 PM
Fishingnutter

Just needed a light reel for a quick cowtown visit, picked up a $50 Rapala reel, bail mechanism lasted 3 days of fishing,, took it back and they said it would be sent off to fix, flew home, 4 months later my Dad gets the call and a brand new RAPALA reel (because the other one was unfixable) and a filet knife for waiting,, to which I was using the last time I was out,, SOOO, the bail arm won't turn over unless you have the gear set for back and forth (no tick tick tick setting) aND, Urgh, the drag loosens slowly as you are fishing, found out the sad way while failing to set a hook.

stick to plugs Rapala.

I have a 40 yearold Pflueger reel that has caught big salmon and little fish the same. An old Mitchell 300A is the way to be too,, do those old reels ever break or fail. Disposeable everything now, I'm suprised Bic doesn't make "Quality" fishing gear, might as well.

Last edited by Fishingnutter; 05-29-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Fishingnutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
It only gives you the surface water temp. There are better options for water temp.
Ahhh ha ha ha ha, really? sad
Old 05-29-2010, 05:13 PM

Bought a new fancy Plano tackle box only to find out that I needed a bigger one! Too late to take it back to the Fishin`Hole.
Good thing CT has some on sale this week; just picked up a triple 7. Now this thing is big!
Old 05-29-2010, 05:44 PM

Not a recent purchase, but at the end of last open water season I picked up a Quantum AVS v2.0 reel. Just wanted a little reel for my light action rod, but only got to use it once before ice-up. I used it a couple times this winter but was pretty much just using the reel to store the line, then hand-lining in the little fish. A couple weeks ago I used the reel out at Carson...the first real casting that I did with it, and by the end of the day I was just about ready to throw the stupid thing in the lake. I don't know how it happened, but I kept getting big tangles in my line, and wasted a lot of time trying to get the knots out, and lost a couple good chunks of line as well.

I think this one is a good case of 'you get what you pay for'

Ah well...I guess it'll still make an okay ice reel...

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 05-29-2010, 06:16 PM

I also bought the hawkeye for ice fishing. Took it out 3 or 4 times then took it back. Temp only. Replaced it with a new one and took it out, worked the last two times out. Hope it still works this winter. Not overly impressed with it.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingnutter View Post
An old Mitchell 300A is the way to be too,, do those old reels ever break or fail.
Ive had the screw that holds the bail on fall off a few times. Even without the screw they still work. Those reels last forever. I have the one my grandfather used when he was a kid and it still works great.

I think the worst piece of gear I bought was Spiderwire Camo. It lasted maybe a month before it started to fray and break.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 05-29-2010, 06:39 PM

Jiffy Ice Auger (with the new POS Chineese motor), ran great for about 1 tank of gas now I cant keep it running.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Fishingnutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck$ View Post
Jiffy Ice Auger (with the new POS Chineese motor), ran great for about 1 tank of gas now I cant keep it running.
knock offs suck,, try adding a half thimble full of oil to the gas mix,,, bought a knock off genset,, got it running this way. Bic Motor and Fishing Tackle company is what we get now a days.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:06 PM

Angry

Kids bought me a tip up from walmart. The one with the vertical tube and flag in it and the reel is under water and it has tripod like legs.

First time out, it get hit and the jack breaks off the reel. POS.

Also tried the hand held depth /temp finders for ice fishng. Returned it as could not get a single depth reading....why do manufacturers try to sell this type of crap!!!!
Old 05-31-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
$520.00 aqua vu quad camera system.

First battery lasted 1.5 hours, 2nd one lasted 2, then one of the cameras went black, and the lead weight fell off.

No more Aqua vu for me.
You too? I bought the same camera, brand new from a retailer on ebay for $300US. Used it once, now none of the cameras work. There's just a blank white screen. I hope I can get warranty for it.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
Also tried the hand held depth /temp finders for ice fishng. Returned it as could not get a single depth reading....why do manufacturers try to sell this type of crap!!!!
Because they know there are suckers out there that will buy the crap they're flogging. It pays to save for quality items...
Old 05-31-2010, 11:49 AM

I dont buy crappy equiptment , but last year bought a bunch of pre tied snells and they were pure junk , Falcon hook company . I dont ditch the fishing hole , as its a great company but these hooks are junk , Every hook I had snapped . Thats why I now tie my own , from Gamakatsu hooks , By far the sharpest and toughest built .
Old 05-31-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
I dont buy crappy equiptment , but last year bought a bunch of pre tied snells and they were pure junk , Falcon hook company . I dont ditch the fishing hole , as its a great company but these hooks are junk , Every hook I had snapped . Thats why I now tie my own , from Gamakatsu hooks , By far the sharpest and toughest built .
x2, i replace all my trebles on any lures i buy with Gamakatsu if they don't already have them on.