Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-30-2010, 01:19 PM

Question PIKE Fly Advice?

I don't tie small flies anymore; too frustrating for me. Comes with age I suppose. But I spend a lot of time in BC so I tie large flies exclusively with BUCKTAIL hair for trolling on the lake and jigs for Dollies and Bulls.

With the guidance of Kingfisher I have made an 8wt fly rod for PIKE. I have never used rabbit strips or barbell eyes or anything like that I see on pike flies. So I took the bucktails I tie (photo attached) and incorporated some of the colours and methods I see on Pike flies and tied a "bucktail pike fly" this morning (photo attached)

3 questions for you experienced pike fly anglers:

1. Will it work in your opinion? I suppose it can be trolled too.

2. I tie my flies with a trailer hook attached with 20lb steel leader. Someone told me to cut the shank off of the first hook and leave the trailer hook to avoid the danger of a 5 inch fly flying toward your head on the back cast. Is this really a problem from your experience?

3. Where's a good place (Southern AB) to practice casting from shore to catch some pike on a fly? I have little experience with a heavier fly rod but I seem to be able toss a larger fly 60 feet or so and am improving.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Tacklerunner
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Optimized-Bucktails Samples.JPG (65.8 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Optimized-Bucktail PIKE Fly.JPG (69.1 KB, 84 views)
Old 05-30-2010, 02:08 PM

I was thinking you'd vanished!

I really like your bucktail pike fly . . . it has great colours (five of diamond colours), and eyes . . . and is a nice size. I think it is a winner

For practice, I'd cut the points off both of them at the bend. I've had a couple of unfortunate occurrences as of late (when my concentration wandered and the wind changed). One of the welts is still healing, and I can say that I've had my first double-header (I "caught" both of my calves). I've had some scary things whiz past my face on my double-handed rods . . . that darn, unpredictable wind!

It is a single-handed rod that you built, right? If so, I'd just get used to tossing the big (point-less) flies in a school yard before heading out on the water. You'll have a better idea what to expect when you get out there. For "test-run" lakes maybe Chestermere or Clear?

JTS1 has had some luck with pike on the fly lately . . . hopefully he'll chime in (or at least send you a PM)

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:17 PM

Nice bucktails. The first ones remind of hair jigs in my grandfathers old box. I especially like that second one which is similar to my pike streamers. I am sure they will work.

I like to throw in a long 4-6 inch rabbit strip tail, yellow maribou underwing, olive maribou overwing and a large grizzly neck feather up each side Like you did) to look like a perch. Its heavy but that is why you built that 8wt right?
Old 05-30-2010, 02:48 PM

I like your bucktail flies, and I was out on saturday and tossed some modified clouser type patterns with superhair, also some 4-6 inch bunny leaches. The bunny moves so sexy in the water I wanted to jump in and bite it. I had my absolute largest fish on I have ever on the fly rod, just got to see her and she spit it out. Oh well thats why its called fishing and not catching. I will get her some other time. I would say to tie some bunnies up, they are easy and by my experince worked the best.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:21 AM

Thanks all for the info. I feel confident I'm on the right track; and you know what they say:

33% confidence
33% luck
33% perserverance
1% skill

Old 05-31-2010, 01:38 PM

I don't have a ton of experience but those look like good flies to me, I've tied worse pike flies that's for sure!
Old 05-31-2010, 01:47 PM

.i find semi pi$$ing the fish off helps what ever way it turns i cast over that way. not on top but 5-10 feet away. he will hit out of anger and well it works 4 me. just hit up a lake dedicate a half day to a certain area of the lake. i fished mb 20 times before ice and then prob a dozen times this year before i learned a technique that works well for me. remember floating, sinking and sinking tip give out a different presentation (imho that is)

where in southern alberta are you from?
Old 05-31-2010, 05:19 PM

Smile

Good job there Tacklerunner. If I were a pike I'd eat all those bucktails.

Rob