Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-30-2010, 01:28 PM

Default Chickakoo

I think made up for my skunky effort last week at Cardiff this morning.
I was a little worried driving there this morning as my car told me it was only one degree outside but it was a very warm one degree . Westing a toque,magic mitts, and a long sleeve shirt under my goodie did not hurt either.

Anyhow,after trying blue cheese on a bobber for 20 minutesfollowed by another ten minutes with powerbait, idecided to change things up and got my spinners and spoons ready.

First cast with a yellow dotted number one black fury spinner coated with berkly trout juice caught me my first fish of the day. My third fish today was a little one inch minnow or baby rainbow or something. I scewered that poor guy right through his little body .

Counting the little guy I caught a total of ten fish in about two hours. Two of them were brooks, I think the rest were bows. I left them in the water as long as I could and some of the squirmed away without me touching them. I did not plan on keeping any so that was no big deal to me .

Hopefully I have more days like this, but without the cold damp weather.
Old 05-30-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak1138 View Post
I think made up for my skunky effort last week at Cardiff this morning.
I was a little worried driving there this morning as my car told me it was only one degree outside but it was a very warm one degree . Westing a toque,magic mitts, and a long sleeve shirt under my goodie did not hurt either.

Anyhow,after trying blue cheese on a bobber for 20 minutesfollowed by another ten minutes with powerbait, idecided to change things up and got my spinners and spoons ready.

First cast with a yellow dotted number one black fury spinner coated with berkly trout juice caught me my first fish of the day. My third fish today was a little one inch minnow or baby rainbow or something. I scewered that poor guy right through his little body .

Counting the little guy I caught a total of ten fish in about two hours. Two of them were brooks, I think the rest were bows. I left them in the water as long as I could and some of the squirmed away without me touching them. I did not plan on keeping any so that was no big deal to me .

Hopefully I have more days like this, but without the cold damp weather.

http://www.mywildalberta.com/Fishing/GameFish.aspx

that should help you with fish identification!!
Old 05-30-2010, 05:17 PM

i was there today lots of little ones using a rig and white bait i had 5 in like 30 mins just after that the wind picked up and the rain started so picked up and headed home it was fun but would like to get a big one lol out of there
Old 05-30-2010, 06:20 PM

how far of a drive from wetaskiwin or edmonton is this lake? and what spieces are in there?
thanks greg.l
Old 05-30-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapalaman View Post
how far of a drive from wetaskiwin or edmonton is this lake? and what spieces are in there?
thanks greg.l
Its about 30 minutes west of edmonton.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:25 PM

Thanks for the link for the species identification . The reason I could not 100% identify all the fish was because I did not pick all of them up. If there wrre more than one species of trout in there i would have trouble identifying them
The little guy was coloured like a rainbow but I did not think I would find such a small one there. Is it possible that they dropped one off that small from the hatchery ?
If you are coming up from wetaskiwin you should plan a full day fishing the area. There are many lakes within half hour from spruce grove and stony plain.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:07 PM

Just curious if you guys are fishing from shore or boat? What sizes can one expect from Chickakoo...
Old 05-31-2010, 11:09 PM

Thumbs up

this spring i have only got little ones so far but i know there are monsters in there haha
Old 05-31-2010, 11:29 PM

fishing from shore for me. And they were all this years stock.