Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 07:49 PM

I've got 2 of my own. I know what they expect, and the purpose of the post was to say that I in know way know your kids. How they react, what they need to here to get motivated.

You asked for an answer to a question that only you can answer.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:56 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba View Post

Is your show not sponsered by excalibur xbows ??

LOL...nope.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:07 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
I actually never said that at all. No need to twist words. I think it was you that thought harvest would double and SRD that the harvest would be enough to put other sps on draw.

Remember I am the one looking for actual data.

I apologize, I thought you were meaning that you felt there would be a large influx of crossbow hunters. So you don't think there would be?
Old 04-15-2010, 08:12 PM

Not everything should be easy. Thats my take on it.

Through this whole thing what it boils down to for me is the downside of letting crossbows in outweighs the benefits. The loss of opportunity to current archers, the probable reduction in general season tags, for a tool that is currently allowed in general season, far outweighs the "good" stuff you guys bring up.

Rob, you're not that far from some hunting where general season opens Sep 17, heck, there's a general season that opens Aug 25 just a few hours west of you, if you and your son really want to use that crossbow in a general season.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:15 PM

No worries! I am unsure of numbers hence why I would like to see more data besides Ohio's whitetail stuff.

I would imagine that there would be increased hunters in most sps that are a draw. I am sure that is why many hunters got into bow hunting besides the challenge.

Just have no idea how many but it seems everyone is just guessing!
Old 04-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
Rob, you're not that far from some hunting where general season opens Sep 17, heck, there's a general season that opens Aug 25 just a few hours west of you, if you and your son really want to use that crossbow in a general season.
I'm aware of the areas a few hours from me Rocks, but those aren't my areas.

What if I suggested the same to you, that if you wanted to you could travel a few hours to use your bow?
Old 04-15-2010, 08:40 PM

I drive an 1 1/2 to 2 hours at least evertime I go bowhunting.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
I drive an 1 1/2 to 2 hours at least evertime I go bowhunting.
And we drive 2 hours to our place in the country to watch guys hunt with their bows, but then have to travel another 45 minutes to use a crossbow. Sucks to be us I guess!
Old 04-15-2010, 08:53 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
If I lose all my local archery hunting to the draw I will just stalk TJ in K-country chasing rams until that is on a draw!

Keep your arrow nocked and ummmm your safety on???..

S
You stay outta MY K-Country...
Old 04-15-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miskosky View Post
I'm aware of the areas a few hours from me Rocks, but those aren't my areas.

What if I suggested the same to you, that if you wanted to you could travel a few hours to use your bow?
Actually I kind of know how that feels, I grew up in the bowzone and if I wanted to go rifle hunting that meant I had to travel. Made many trips up north in my younger days, loved the hunting so much I moved up here.

I hear what you're saying though, but the opportunity is there, maybe the boy would like a couple day trip out west
Old 04-15-2010, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Well I certainly can't say I don't envy you because I do. Love that part of the world. May take you up on it one day Rocks!
Old 04-15-2010, 11:55 PM

If your wondering what some of our American cousins are thinking on this topic, here's some of there responses:

Original question:
Without trying to stir up a hornets nest, for those of you that hunt in states that allow crossbows in the archery season, what are some of the positive or negative things that have happened??? If you had a choice would you be for or against it? Was there an increase in hunters, harvests, draw priority wait and poaching?? Any thoughts are welcome!! thank you in advance.

"RE: CrossBows in the Archery Season"
I think you can only use a cross bow if you are unable to pull back a regular bow due to injury. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's it. My opinion is that if that's the only way they're allowed, then fine. I don't want to see them anywhere besides that. Hunt muzzleloader or rifle if you can't pull a bow back due to injury or something.
Remove | Alert Edit | Reply | Reply With Quote | Top

dillon (208 posts)
Apr-14-10, 09:14 AM (MST)
2. "RE: CrossBows in the Archery Season"
My dad has had so many back surgeries that he can hardly walk let alone pull traditional archery equipment. We got him an x-bow that shoot 345 fps. He has a red dot scope, and a crank that is like reeling in a fish to draw the string into the locked position. Honestly they are super bulky and not that great. My dad is 60 and often forgets to turn the sight off and the battery dies, then he sees a deer and ask me why the light won't turn on. Next the are awesome out to about 40 yards and then they drop off way fast. My dad has taken two deer with it at around 30-40 yards. The just centers the dot and squeezes the trigger. He won't even shoot past 45, because he knows he will only injure the animal. However, he has yet to find a broadhead that doesn't shatter when the arrow goes through the deer. The speed literally snaps off the broadheads of a Muzzy 100 grain. I shoot the same broadhead and I can hit bone with a bow at about 300 fps and maybe bend them.
Also the stock is too short, so we are making and extension to go on it.

All in all unless you are disabled stay away from them is my opinion.

Dillon

BigPig (1856 posts)
Apr-14-10, 10:32 AM (MST)
3. "RE: CrossBows in the Archery Season"
LAST EDITED ON Apr-14-10 AT 10:34 AM (MST)
Except for handicapped people, crossbows have no place in traditional archery seasons, IMO. Other than keeping handicapped people in the field (which is well worth it) , I personally see no benefit to crossbows.

Serrano (48 posts)
Apr-14-10, 12:21 PM (MST)
4. "RE: CrossBows in the Archery Season"
I am against them.
But to answer the question, I didn't see any the few days I hunted WY region K.
Ken

richardjb (22 posts)
Apr-14-10, 03:18 PM (MST)
5. "RE: CrossBows in the Archery Season"
I'm all for the recruting of new hunters, be it longbow,compound bow, crossbows, muzzies, rifles, handguns, spears, it should not matter.Pitting one group against another goes against what reasonable sportsmen should be doing.If you like the anti's divide and conquer tactics, go for it. When recrutment stops and hunting stops being a effective tool to control numbers, don't blame folks like me.

Silentstalker (2061 posts)
Apr-14-10, 08:50 PM (MST)
6. "RE: CrossBows in the Archery Season"
Crossbows have a place in hunting that is for sure. I am also sure that place is NOT the archery season unless utilized by those with injury or handicap. The ability to lay motionless and whack an animal without moving (with a crossbow)is not the same as drawing and firing a bow which entails quite a bit of movement. I also do not see many advantages other than the no movement while shooting them.

BOHNTR (2505 posts)
Apr-14-10, 09:31 PM (MST)
7. "RE: CrossBows in the Archery Season"
+1 to BigPig and Silentstalker.....
BOHNTR )))---------->

swbuckmaster (2508 posts)
Apr-15-10, 05:54 PM (MST)
8. "RE: CrossBows in the Archery Season"
LAST EDITED ON Apr-15-10 AT 05:54 PM (MST)
while I think a cross bow is a tard gun. I think they do have a place especially in Utah.

If Utah were to cut rifle tags and issue more archery tags you could effectively cut the range of their weapons from 1000 yards down to around 50. This might allow a die hard rifle guy to want to pick up one up.

I believe this would be a good thing. This would allow more deer to escape because they only have one shot. the range is limited, and educated older deer are usually to smart to allow you to get into archery range. Using the "Wasatch front as an example"

I personally believe if you ever want to have quality, more opportunity, and longer seasons you need to move people to shorter range weapons.

Now you guys that are so anti cross gun give me reasons why you think this is such a bad idea.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:09 AM
sheephunter

LOL...post the same thing on a crossbow site and I'm sure the responses would be as weighted the other way. Nice cherry picking
Old 04-16-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
LOL...post the same thing on a crossbow site and I'm sure the responses would be as weighted the other way. Nice cherry picking
It was Actually not on an Archery site, sorry TJ
Old 04-16-2010, 06:30 AM

Well for the popularity of the crossbow where it is allowed it seems your cherry picking is meaningless doesn't it? In many jurisdictions horizontal archers out number the vertical ones. I said a long time ago the ABA should get out in front of this but they felt they knew better. Well here it comes.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
your cherry picking is meaningless
You're right Rich, lets reject the empirical and stick with the emotional debate.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miskosky View Post
It's called technology russ, and it's here.

Here are a few features from an Oneida bow scope:
  • The small beam of light (red dot) reflects from sight to shooter, which eliminates the need for two-point aiming
  • You shoot with both eyes open and head up
  • The red dot does not project onto the target
  • TWO YEAR limited warranty
  • 3-volt lithium battery included
  • 33mm sight tube, 6061 T-6 aluminum
  • 27mm objective diameter
  • 5.55" long and weighs just 5.45 oz.
  • Remarkably crisp 3 MOA Dot
  • 11 different brightness settings
  • Non-magnification
  • Polarizing filter
  • Front and rear extension tubes included.
  • Works well in all light conditions
  • Field of View: 11 yards at 55 feet
  • Requires 33mm Extruded Rings for mounting
  • Our 33mm sights can be mounted on any of our mounting systems.
I don't profess to be an expert on scopes but the fact of the matter is it's a scope designed for a compound bow.

Now go ahead, pick it apart. Fact is, the resemblance between a crossbow and a compound bow just keeps getting closer and closer.
I don't see anyone rushing off to buy this. Good luck with the U-needa (new) bow LOL
Old 04-16-2010, 08:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
I don't see anyone rushing off to buy this. Good luck with the U-needa (new) bow LOL
didn't i say same thing about tac 15? who would be more right lol....who cares, there will always be some high tech super gizmos in every aspect of hunting, gun or bow, why did you even waste your time with that comment....why did i?

when is this getting shut down? seriously, its become way beyond rediculous
Old 04-16-2010, 08:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
You're right Rich, lets reject the empirical and stick with the emotional debate.
another doozie there russ...wow, you changed me...i'm a changed man....to heck with the crossbow i say!

enough grasping at imaginary straws already
Old 04-16-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
This from the king of emotional rhetoric. LOL!
Old 04-16-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
didn't i say same thing about tac 15? who would be more right lol....who cares, there will always be some high tech super gizmos in every aspect of hunting
http://www.drawloc.com/

Watch the video. Draw the compound with your feet, like a crossbow...hmmm.

It is not about the weapon, it is about the method of hunting used with said weapon that should decide where they are used in hunting season.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
another doozie there russ...wow, you changed me...i'm a changed man....to heck with the crossbow i say!

enough grasping at imaginary straws already
not really, I already a couple of people considering the Canada legal version of the TAC15. don't know anyone looking at that Onieda scope though.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:58 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
not really, I already a couple of people considering the Canada legal version of the TAC15. don't know anyone looking at that Onieda scope though.
And what you know in your small town makes in fact? Come on Russ, the comparison is there....don't belittle Stinky just because you personally don't know any one. Even you need to see the folly and ego involved in that arguement. "Because I don't know anyone it's not happening." Sheesh!
Old 04-16-2010, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
How in the world would you know? Sheesh!
Old 04-16-2010, 09:29 AM

Well I haven't seen anyone using one at a shoot yet and target shooters are early adopters plus no ones gushing about it on Archery Talk and I'm on there just as much as on here. In fact when people ask for sight recommendations there, it's not even mentioned.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:31 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Well I haven't seen anyone using one at a shoot yet and target shooters are early adopters plus no ones gushing about it on Archery Talk and I'm on there just as much as on here. In fact when people ask for sight recommendations there, it's not even mentioned.
But the fact is...it exists. And obviously there must be some demand or a manufacturer wouldn't go to the expense of R&D.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:32 AM

and the fact is, no ones using it. There has to be a reason, my guess is that it's a pain to set up.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
It's a big world russ!
Old 04-16-2010, 09:34 AM

In Archery, not nearly as big as you think.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:34 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
and the fact is, no ones using it. There has to be a reason, my guess is that it's a pain to set up.
You could be right but it still exists despite you saying it didn't. Likely goes back to my original statement that magnification really isn't any help in a sub 50 yard hunting situation.
Closed Thread