Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2016, 07:13 PM

Default auto repair NW Calgary

I just took the wife's car (2006 Camry, 167K km) in to the shop, 4 cylinder, automatic trans.
They are telling me the water pump is leaking, serpentine belt has some cracks, and the valve cover gasket is leaking

Recommend
replace water pump, thermostat, serpentine belt, flush cooling system, just under $1K for all of that

replace valve cover gasket, $200

I think people should be paid for their efforts and I don't have the skills to do this myself. The valve cover gasket is not so bad, but the cooling system work seems high.

Am I out to lunch?

Can someone suggest a reliable alternative that is likely to be a lower price? Located in NW Calgary (close to Crowchild Trail, Nose Hill Drive) but can drive a ways for a better deal.

BTW they also recommended a new battery, which as I recall was about $158 and $58 to install; now that is something I CAN do on my own.

Thanks in advance.
Hawkeye
Old 04-04-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I just took the wife's car (2006 Camry, 167K km) in to the shop, 4 cylinder, automatic trans.
They are telling me the water pump is leaking, serpentine belt has some cracks, and the valve cover gasket is leaking

Recommend
replace water pump, thermostat, serpentine belt, flush cooling system, just under $1K for all of that

I think people should be paid for their efforts and I don't have the skills to do this myself. The valve cover gasket is not so bad, but the cooling system work seems high.

Am I out to lunch?

Can someone suggest a reliable alternative that is likely to be a lower price? Located in NW Calgary (close to Crowchild Trail, Nose Hill Drive) but can drive a ways for a better deal.

BTW they also recommended a new battery, which as I recall was about $158 and $58 to install; now that is something I CAN do on my own.

Thanks in advance.
Hawkeye
That seems pretty reasonable actually. How much do YOU think it should be?
Take the total cost of the parts. Then figure out how many hours it will take. Multiply that by what you think a skilled mechanic should make ($30-$40/hour?) Now add his WCB coverage, employers portion of gov't dues, etc. Administration costs. Now add the overhead of the cost of a B&M shop, rent, heat, electric, equipment, etc.

Unless of course you just want some backyard mechanic to attempt to do it without any type of warranty whatsoever.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:47 PM

Check these guys out

http://instamek.com/

Rates are reasonable.

Water pump, thermostat, and belt are easy and straightforward to swap. Shouldn't take a skilled mechanic more than an hour to do. But they go by book rate.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:

Recommend

Am I out to lunch?

Thanks in advance.
Hawkeye
Nothing I can offer in terms of an opinion on the first part of your post, but for batteries - Costco is very reasonably priced, and the batteries seem to be good quality. Mine has served me very well, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:12 AM

try allfitz in air dried good shop honest

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 04-05-2016, 08:16 AM

PAZ Automotive by the airport ... honest and straight up we bring our vechiles down from EDM to him
Old 04-05-2016, 08:41 AM

Try Knibbe auto over by the Dennys near you. Heard good things about them
Old 04-05-2016, 10:43 AM

I've heard nothing but good things of the petro at the bottom of the hill in silver springs. Just up from the value village. Never been there but the locals all swear by them. Also close to you.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:

Recommend

Am I out to lunch?

Thanks in advance.
Hawkeye
Price not bad but flushing the rad is not needed just my thoughts
Old 04-05-2016, 10:59 AM

I am wondering why the belt would be cracked. I took my Toyota in at 180K to have the belt replaced as per the service manual and it had little if any sign of wear. That being said if you don't replace it and it breaks good bye motor.

Do not think you need a rad flush you could do your self anyway but a water pump and belt should be addressed Typical cost to replace the belt runs around 4-500 and it should maybe be left to the Toyota guy to do that. Also shop around I found quit a difference in parts cost at various Toyota dealers when I was looking for a windshield res.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
I am wondering why the belt would be cracked. I took my Toyota in at 180K to have the belt replaced as per the service manual and it had little if any sign of wear. That being said if you don't replace it and it breaks good bye motor.

Do not think you need a rad flush you could do your self anyway but a water pump and belt should be addressed Typical cost to replace the belt runs around 4-500 and it should maybe be left to the Toyota guy to do that. Also shop around I found quit a difference in parts cost at various Toyota dealers when I was looking for a windshield res.
The 2.4 engine has a timing chain. The belt that needs changed is the serpentine belt.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:29 AM

I have found that Montgomery Auto is really good and reasonable. Actually had a problem with the wife car last week, they fixed it, no charge...
Old 04-06-2016, 11:38 AM

Fenton Automotive in Cochrane. I know its a drive but they only do whats required and are straight up honest and do great work. 403-932-7114
Old 04-06-2016, 09:56 PM

Thanks to everyone who replied.
I had a PM from propliner, a very fine AOF member. A big shout out to him for simply outstanding service work on my car, well above the call of duty, at a simply amazing price. He showed me an engine that he had rebuilt and the quality of work and attention to detail were superb.

I will be keeping his phone number, as I will need him again in the future.
I absolutely recommend him to others, too.
Cheers
Hawkeye