Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-28-2011, 05:04 PM

Default Remington 700 sps ss vs. Tikka t3 300 wsm

Im looking into buying a 300 wsm and its either going to be a tikka t3 or a remington 700 ss sps dm. Which is a better gun and who has had good experiences or bad with these guns?
Old 02-28-2011, 05:11 PM

Either one will work, depends which one you like. Some guys love the Tikka's and they have a reputation for being accurate outta the box. Me i can't get past the all the plastic parts and really don't like the looks of them. I would get the sps and put it in a macmillan stock.The rem 700 action leaves you endless possibilities to customize if you get bored with it.
My next project will be an sps based build. Soon as i can get it by the minister of finance..
Old 02-28-2011, 05:13 PM

Of the two, Tikka ALL THE WAY. My experience with the 700 SPS is that they have inconsistent accuracy, "cheap" feeling stocks, also the one I encountered had a very, very rough action. The Tikka has a nicer stock (to me anyway), consistent accuracy, and a very smooth action. My.02$
Old 02-28-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin xl7 View Post
Of the two, Tikka ALL THE WAY. My experience with the 700 SPS is that they have inconsistent accuracy, "cheap" feeling stocks, also the one I encountered had a very, very rough action. The Tikka has a nicer stock (to me anyway), consistent accuracy, and a very smooth action. My.02$
x2
Old 02-28-2011, 08:16 PM

I dont like either buy the tikka I cant hear another my sps is junk thread
Old 02-28-2011, 10:15 PM

Having looked at both rifles when I picked up my last one, I preferred the Tikka. The action is much smoother and the rifle it self does feel quite a bit lighter. Honestly I'm not a big fan of the remmington 700s, I used to be but I've just found other things to my liing. Both will do the job fine its a matter of what fits you the best. I could tell you to go pick up such and such a rifle which would be great for sure, but it would be what I wanted or what fitted me not you, Get what I'm saying? Anyway stricktly on your question Id go with the Tikka as I said. You can get them in a wood stock too if you don't like the plasticy stock. Good luck!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:45 PM

my vote - for Tikka....no questions.....
much better rifle out of the box....
Old 02-28-2011, 11:26 PM

I prefer the Tikka's.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:56 PM

Default tikka

I wouldn't even compare these two for out of the box functionality and accuracy tikka for sure.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:03 AM
sheephunter

Remington has certainly slipped in the past decade. It's bad when the only nice thing that most people have to say about them is that you can build something nice out of their actions...lol

Yes, add a vote for Tikka for me too.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:22 AM

I don't mind the Rem bashing it just leaves more at the store for me My sps and pss rifles bolts are just as smooth as a tikka maybe i got lucky, my .243 sps with a 75gr vmax will shot .4" 3shot groups on a consistent basis. I do have a remington chambered for 300wsm and it does not eject that well. The case for the 300 wsm is a smidge to long for remingtons short action. For this reason I would pick the tikka. In my experiance I would just stick with the 300 win mag. The brass on the 300 wsm case hardens after just a few reloads and you will get better preformance from the 300 win mag with bullets above 180gr. The Tikka doesn't have a short action so there is no difference in the weight of the rifle. If I were to get the 300 win mag it would be the remmy. Thats just me though, a couple of my buddys have tikka 30-06's that shoot under 1" with factory ammo.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy View Post
I don't mind the Rem bashing it just leaves more at the store for me My sps and pss rifles bolts are just as smooth as a tikka maybe i got lucky, my .243 sps with a 75gr vmax will shot .4" 3shot groups on a consistent basis. I do have a remington chambered for 300wsm and it does not eject that well. The case for the 300 wsm is a smidge to long for remingtons short action. For this reason I would pick the tikka. In my experiance I would just stick with the 300 win mag. The brass on the 300 wsm case hardens after just a few reloads and you will get better preformance from the 300 win mag with bullets above 180gr. The Tikka doesn't have a short action so there is no difference in the weight of the rifle. If I were to get the 300 win mag it would be the remmy. Thats just me though, a couple of my buddys have tikka 30-06's that shoot under 1" with factory ammo.
Yes some of the Remingtons are very nice. But from my experience and friends experiences, the SPS line is definatly not helping the Remington name. When buying from Remington, I like to stay with the BDL, CDL,PSS, or VSSF line of rifles.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:18 PM

Tikka!
Old 03-01-2011, 05:10 PM

Bought a tikka t3 300 wsm. Thanks for all the info. Appreciate it. Can't wait to get it. If anyone has a spare magazine there looking to get rid of. I need one. Thanks guys
Justin