Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-18-2018, 05:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Wonder how they hand picked their trappers this year? My line is in Caribou country and I wasn't invited! Guess they got their hackles up with some suggestions.
Guess I could make a big stink about being invited or not as well..... thought we were all about equal opportunity?
Are you saying that you didn’t know anything about the fisher relocation program? Apparently there are a couple of other fellas commenting on this thread that didn’t know about it but who knows if they are members of the ATA.

If so, it’d be a pretty bitter pill to swallow when the VP and a President of a Local publically brag about the fisher that they are catching and getting paid for.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Are you saying that you didn’t know anything about the fisher relocation program? Apparently there are a couple of other fellas commenting on this thread that didn’t know about it but who knows if they are members of the ATA.

If so, it’d be a pretty bitter pill to swallow when the VP and a President of a Local publically brag about the fisher that they are catching and getting paid for.
Not sure if it was on the ata site or not but the folks from Washington had a booth at the rendezvous and were signing up anyone who wanted to participate, they worked with Bill to organize it.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:

No I didn't know about it or the wolf program. Heard about it all second hand. Maybe it was only privy to the guys at the Rendevous like Moose Mentioned.
Surprised and not surprised I didn't get invited to the wolf program again after catching %14 of the total catch last year for it.....
Old 12-19-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonerkiller View Post
There is, I just finished a 2 day wolf course paid for by the government for those with lines in the caribou zones. The program itself is to get final blessing next week I hear, pay for effort not results. ATA doesn't like the sound of a bounty. Goes against my grain to pay for effort instead of results, however 1 valid point is they may have already been through your line and poisoned and or aerial gunned them to non existence, but they still want you out there giving it a go. I am participating.
Good deal. We were out on Saturday at the line and Dwayne mentioned somebody had called him about there being 5 spots left for a wolf course the week before. Unfortunately they only called the night before the course started or he would have went.
I sure wish the ATA had a renewal letter or something, better yet a life membership we could just buy once and get it over with. I forget to get mine every other year and miss hearing about all these projects and workshops. Then again on the years I do remember to buy a membership I don’t hear about them anyway so not much difference there lol
Old 12-19-2018, 07:20 AM

Quote:
No I didn't know about it or the wolf program. Heard about it all second hand. Maybe it was only privy to the guys at the Rendevous like Moose Mentioned.
Surprised and not surprised I didn't get invited to the wolf program again after catching %14 of the total catch last year for it.....
I heard nothing of it either and am a member of the ATA and vice president of my local... as for the hush money I mean "wolf program" I did hear about it but only recently from our president of our local and it sounded even less organized than last year which I don't know how its possible and considering we have been able to get wolves for how long and they haven't even started or let folks like yourself even know yet. They don't get a rats ..... about the trapper involvement and never have its just Dave's way of trying to keep or move some spotlights and quiet down some opposition to his program..
Old 12-19-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Hard to believe the people who participated last year weren’t first on the list of those contacted to participate again this year. Especially one of the higher producing participants like yourself.

One really does have to wonder how that could happen?
Old 12-19-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
Not sure if it was on the ata site or not but the folks from Washington had a booth at the rendezvous and were signing up anyone who wanted to participate, they worked with Bill to organize it.
I'm a resident trapper and I knew about the fisher program. I can't even legally trap fisher Also I'm on the prairies no fisher around here. All the folks on here that are whining about a conspiracy and buddy system volunteer get on the board and change it. Was anyone at the rendezvous who was at the AGM? Unless you want to get involved it's up to you to be informed. I don't like the No notification on my vehicle registration is up but it's up to me to stay on top of it. I'll still get a ticket even if I tell the cop.... Well I wasn't informed..

Back on the rails...hopefully. Spruce are you catching mainly females or males? Are they looking for a certain age of the fishers?
Merry Trapping
Bill
Old 12-19-2018, 07:49 AM

I very seldom make it to the local meetings. My crazy schedule kind of gets in the way. However I have heard multiple reports about both the Fisher and wolf program the couple times that I did make it. Maybe it's just our local but they're getting the information from the ATA so I don't think there's any secrecy conspiracy going on. I know I talked to the president last Thursday in Edmonton and they are really looking for people to catch Fisher.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
I'm a resident trapper and I knew about the fisher program. I can't even legally trap fisher Also I'm on the prairies no fisher around here. All the folks on here that are whining about a conspiracy and buddy system volunteer get on the board and change it. Was anyone at the rendezvous who was at the AGM? Unless you want to get involved it's up to you to be informed. I don't like the No notification on my vehicle registration is up but it's up to me to stay on top of it. I'll still get a ticket even if I tell the cop.... Well I wasn't informed

I wasn’t really implying there was a conspiracy and buddy system going on, more just asking a couple questions. Which I’ve now been told to attend the AGM or Rendezvous if I really want to know what’s going on.
Like Rich, my schedule is a little hectic at times. I am a member of quite a few other organizations and most others do fairly well at ensuring their members continue to be members. Actually it’s generally their number one mission year to year. At the very least an email once a year to actual RFMA holders to say, don’t forget to renew your membership?
I don’t know, maybe I expect too much
Old 12-19-2018, 09:06 AM

I’m relocating fisher to the board.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
I’m relocating fisher to the board.
I am doing that as well, live trapped 3 this week and boarded 4. I only live trap where I can check traps every 24 hours.
The only way to have gotten signed up for the program was to have done it at the rendezvous, or by having some one sign you up there. That's where the biologists from Washington were. It is THEIR program, but is a joint venture with the AB gov. $ comes from the States. Leg work is being done By animal damage control Co.

Spruce
Old 12-19-2018, 10:23 AM

I don't think there is a conspiracy either. but I do think information is not passed very well. Part of my own fault and the fault of others as well. But it seems to me they did a pretty good part of letting people know last year about the wolf/caribou program for those in the area. I don't think they missed many or any at all. I don't have time to go to meetings or the rendevous all the time either. I would think there would be very few that could check their fisher traps often enough for the program. Glad they got enough to be able to contribute to it. If I knew about the wolf program I'd catch my one wolf for the year to participate..... guess I needed to go to a few meetings
Old 12-19-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I don't think there is a conspiracy either. but I do think information is not passed very well. Part of my own fault and the fault of others as well. But it seems to me they did a pretty good part of letting people know last year about the wolf/caribou program for those in the area. I don't think they missed many or any at all. I don't have time to go to meetings or the rendevous all the time either. I would think there would be very few that could check their fisher traps often enough for the program. Glad they got enough to be able to contribute to it. If I knew about the wolf program I'd catch my one wolf for the year to participate..... guess I needed to go to a few meetings
They actually did a very poor job on the wolf program last year notifying people, in fact I know a couple people who spent countless hours informing people and getting things in order for it. They missed many senior trappers and lines at the start of it... I hear this year they have included the Redrock herd this year which was also left out last year
Old 12-19-2018, 10:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
Start a wolf program thread. You guys constantly whine and derail threads. Don't like it, get involved and try and change it. Wolf program is AB government run...enough said.
So, you're saying that the ATA isn't involved in the Wolf Program......it's government run. But wasn't the ATA tasked with developing the program and administering it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
I am doing that as well, live trapped 3 this week and boarded 4. I only live trap where I can check traps every 24 hours.
The only way to have gotten signed up for the program was to have done it at the rendezvous, or by having some one sign you up there. That's where the biologists from Washington were. It is THEIR program, but is a joint venture with the AB gov. $ comes from the States. Leg work is being done By animal damage control Co.

Spruce
So, you're saying that the ATA had absolutely no knowledge of or involvement in the Fisher relocation program? That's the story that you want to stick with?

Because if the ATA did have knowledge that the Washington State Bios would be at the RV recruiting Trappers you would think that they would have felt a responsibility to inform the membership that they would be there. Maybe they just forgot.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:41 PM

Take off the tinfoil hat Dave. Your paranoia of the ATA is ridiculous!
Old 12-20-2018, 11:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonnage View Post
Take off the tinfoil hat Dave. Your paranoia of the ATA is ridiculous!
Paranoia?

Either the ATA informed the membership of the Washington Bios going to be at the RV or they didn’t.

When numerous Trappers on the forum knew nothing of it including a VP of a Local, I would have to believe that they didn’t. You don’t need any tinfoil to read their posts.

Do you expect Trappers to believe that the ATA had no involvement in the program like Spruce implied?

I bet that it was a pretty cool process awarding the contract to do the “leg work”. These types of issues are what are ridiculous, not paranoia.

Last edited by HunterDave; 12-20-2018 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:04 AM

You know what Dave. Your right.... I am now gonna nominate you to be the chief information officer for the ATA at the AGM. As a role as a chief information officer you will be in charge of informing all the trappers in Alberta whether they give a crap or not about the goings on, or they whine about how a program is structured. You are also tasked with informing all the trappers that aren't apart of the ATA. And then you could talk directly to the gov and the media. I would be right up your alley Dave. And bonus the monthly meetings in westlock is out your back door. Not like your driving from Lethbridge...
Now next big step.... you'll have to show up to a AGM to be nominated. Like the Rendezvous that was in your backyard... no show. Hmm keep ranting Dave your gaining epic credibility.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:16 AM
Banned

For sure! I would just post the info on the ATA website, AO and the Facebook AB Trapper site about the Washington Bios being at the ATA RV recruiting AB Trappers to live trap fisher for US $500 a pop. How hard is that? Five minutes work, I’d call it a day and I wouldn’t even charge a penny to do it.

You can bet your sweet bippy that I’d share my knowledge of the fisher program with my fellow Trappers if I found out about it......the ATA’s formal request for a mandatory Snaring course and separate license to snare in AB.......and anything else kept secret that I find out about. Wouldn’t you?

I’d pay money just to see the look on your face if you had a line and weren’t told about the US$500 per live caught fisher. Oh, how I would laugh.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
You know what Dave. Your right.... I am now gonna nominate you to be the chief information officer for the ATA at the AGM. As a role as a chief information officer you will be in charge of informing all the trappers in Alberta whether they give a crap or not about the goings on, or they whine about how a program is structured. You are also tasked with informing all the trappers that aren't apart of the ATA. And then you could talk directly to the gov and the media. I would be right up your alley Dave. And bonus the monthly meetings in westlock is out your back door. Not like your driving from Lethbridge...
Now next big step.... you'll have to show up to a AGM to be nominated. Like the Rendezvous that was in your backyard... no show. Hmm keep ranting Dave your gaining epic credibility.
You know, they have these email servers now that do mass emails all with the click of a button.
Fill out a newsletter template, hit send and every member is notified within a few seconds.
Just think of the membership numbers rising if every past member got an email reminding them their membership was up. Technology is just amazing these days !
Heck, you could even let everybody know when the rendezvous and AGM were on that crazy Facebook device for all those young whipersnappers with smart phones 😊
Old 12-21-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
So, you're saying that the ATA isn't involved in the Wolf Program......it's government run. But wasn't the ATA tasked with developing the program and administering it?

So, you're saying that the ATA had absolutely no knowledge of or involvement in the Fisher relocation program? That's the story that you want to stick with?

Because if the ATA did have knowledge that the Washington State Bios would be at the RV recruiting Trappers you would think that they would have felt a responsibility to inform the membership that they would be there. Maybe they just forgot.
Dude, You need a hug.
The Fisher program sign up was at the rendezvous, exactly what I said. After that the program was full. If you didn't get in then You were SOL.

As for the Wolf program, the ATA administers it, but like last year the $ for the program came in way to late. So people planning it were under the gun, again. Stuff gets missed when you have to plan something, and start a couple months late.

Maybe you should take up knitting and talk conspiracy theories with the other Granny's, because every time You open Your mouth You sound like one.

Spruce
Old 12-21-2018, 09:44 AM

Default wolf

Guys, the wolf program is not something to blast to the 4 winds. Bounty is not the best thing to advertise to the PETA types. Nube you were very successful with wolves last year with lot of hard work, however all the rant on AO, probably justified, believe put you out to left field.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Guys, the wolf program is not something to blast to the 4 winds. Bounty is not the best thing to advertise to the PETA types. Nube you were very successful with wolves last year with lot of hard work, however all the rant on AO, probably justified, believe put you out to left field.
Possibly, but I can bet when you finally get a guy that has had enough and launches a lawsuit over something you think is small it could be even worse! Don't think it won't happen because people do crazy things.
And the other thing that bugs me is how we put our heads in the sand to hide things! When are we going to be proud of the trapping we do? Trapping predators is hugely needed in this province right now. The ones that find it socialy unaceptable just won't understand no matter what and we need to educate people. Do we want moose and caribou to get wiped out or do we want to help out? People need to make a choice and stop thinking things will be fine if we don't get involved.

As for Tork's comments ......Spot on ! Lots of ways to get info out. I have let my membership slip many times because I didn't know I was over due. I would bet if you even had people share more of their experience on facebook and other places there would be more people interested in getting a license and try trapping
Old 12-21-2018, 01:13 PM

This thread like so many others eventually brings out the same thing with the same people.
The few complainers complain, the few negative stay negative, the few with excuses continue to have excuses. The couple that require the need to be noticed, will continue to require to be noticed.

Fortunately there are still a lot of positive, appreciative trappers. They get things done without any fanfare. Go figure.
The two old timers I would personally consider the best in the business, don't have a computer. Go figure.
Somehow they still contribute in many countless, thankless ways. Go figure.
Yes one is involved in this program. Go figure that. When I see him on Boxing Day, I will have to ask the old buggar if he's telepathic or something.
Like he has a thousand times before, I'm sure he will give me that "what the heck you talking about now" look.

Thank you and Merry Christmas to all that get things done behind the scenes.
Keep safe out there and keep on keeping on. You are appreciated.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ed, none of that stuff is secret to anyone and the government has to provide it to any citizen of Alberta upon request. If any organization wants to know about any of it it's pretty easy to get their hands on it. Just sayin......

As far as someone that is administering the program to not include someone who meets the requirements to participate in it, on a whim or simply because they don't like the guy, that is unequivocally WRONG. That's a great way to shoot yourself in the foot. If it were me, I'd be on the phone to the highest levels of AEP screaming bloody murder and I'd care less who's feelers got hurt.

For the fellas that support the ATA there is a link on their website that allows you to pay online. They put out a newsletter periodically that includes reminders to renew your membership, course/workshop dates, picnic/RV dates, last receiving dates, raffles......stuff like that.
This year it'll cost you $50.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:39 PM

Does the Ata not have a Facebook page and or website?
If so and maybe they do but why wouldnt they post the information needed for all the paying members on the Fisher program and wolf program. I know ryan demchinski or 5911ryan as hes known here is constantly posting stuff on our saskatchewan one. Everything to ever do with fur he puts on for people. Telling paying members that if they dont go to meetings or whatever then tuff luck is beyond stupid. People have busy lives.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
If so and maybe they do but why wouldnt they post the information needed for all the paying members on the Fisher program and wolf program. I know ryan demchinski or 5911ryan as hes known here is constantly posting stuff on our saskatchewan one. Everything to ever do with fur he puts on for people. Telling paying members that if they dont go to meetings or whatever then tuff luck is beyond stupid. People have busy lives.
Ryan is awesome at letting people know what is going on and is very good at not hiding his head in the sand. He is out there and is well seen by those that know nothing about trapping or very little. He has been a positive light for trappers.
Old 12-22-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrapper View Post
This thread like so many others eventually brings out the same thing with the same people.
The few complainers complain, the few negative stay negative, the few with excuses continue to have excuses. The couple that require the need to be noticed, will continue to require to be noticed.

Fortunately there are still a lot of positive, appreciative trappers. They get things done without any fanfare. Go figure.

Somehow they still contribute in many countless, thankless ways. Go figure.
Spot on Wolftrapper!

Can’t spoon feed everyone.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
Washington State usually gets the fisher from BC but in March the program there was cancelled due to wildfires. I don't know when they approached the AB government to get the fisher from here (yet) but there had to have been months of prep for it. It take's a lot more effort to keep things secret than it does to be transparent about it to Trappers and let them know about it. If they wanted Trappers to know about it they would have let them know.

This is par for the course in AB and it's no problem doing it when the same people that should be demanding answers on behalf of the Trappers that they represent are busy defending it.

I should have submitted a FOIP and informed Trappers of the program......my bad.

You fellas enjoy, I've had enough of this nonsense and I'm out........
Old 12-23-2018, 08:59 AM

Default fisher

My thoughts on Fisher relocation by Washington Bios is they would want a very wide gene pool from all over BC and Alberta. Thus they would want many trappers through out the province participating, not a limited number of tappers from narrow area of Alberta providing the specimens.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
My thoughts on Fisher relocation by Washington Bios is they would want a very wide gene pool from all over BC and Alberta. Thus they would want many trappers through out the province participating, not a limited number of tappers from narrow area of Alberta providing the specimens.
That’s exactly what they said. Can even catch on your resident line