Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-06-2018, 09:50 PM

Default E-tec Issues

Been running my 30hp E-tec for 3 seasons now. First trip out this year the motor ran fine all day, that evening I am up on plane and after about 1.5 to 2 minutes the motor just dies and starts sputtering and smoking. I am off plane at this point and manually throttle back down to a normal idle. Go to throttle back up and more sputtering and smoking. Throttle back down and normal idle. Throttle back up and everything is fine, back on plane going across the lake until the problem repeats itself 2 minutes later again It did this every time I was moving around the next day as well. . Has anyone had this happen to them? The boat is currently sitting in High River but of course they cant get it to repeat the same condition in the shop and are not sure what it could be.

here is a video of it
https://youtu.be/XZyD3Hl1eac
Old 06-06-2018, 10:24 PM

Is your gas tank vent open? I have had similar symptoms after forgetting to crack the vent on my 15hp...
Old 06-06-2018, 10:40 PM

Tried that, ran the boat with the cap screwed right off the tank, still happened.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:41 PM

I would start by trying fresh fuel through it, if no improvement, replace the spark plugs. I would have thought that etec could be plugged in by the dealer though to run diagnostics though, the larger hp ones definitely can.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark View Post
I would start by trying fresh fuel through it, if no improvement, replace the spark plugs. I would have thought that etec could be plugged in by the dealer though to run diagnostics though, the larger hp ones definitely can.
I filled it with premium that morning. Like I said it ran all day just fine and started doing it that night.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:49 PM

Best guess water in the fuel ? Just a guess
Old 06-06-2018, 10:56 PM

Strange... seems as though it repeated itself for you with some regularity but the shop can't seem to get it to repeat.
My best guess is something wrong with the module. Seems like it's driving the revs down just like it does during the auto winterizing procedure. Either that or there is inadequate cooling and it is cutting itself off in order to avoid overheating?
Best of luck. On the bright side, it appears as though it should still be under warranty.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:58 PM

I would replace the plugs then, assuming the fuel filter isn't blocked. you say you have ran it 3 seasons, was that model 3 yr 1st service?
Old 06-06-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJ View Post
Strange... seems as though it repeated itself for you with some regularity but the shop can't seem to get it to repeat.
My best guess is something wrong with the module. Seems like it's driving the revs down just like it does during the auto winterizing procedure. Either that or there is inadequate cooling and it is cutting itself off in order to avoid overheating?
Best of luck. On the bright side, it appears as though it should still be under warranty.
I thought maybe cooling as well, but at idle there is water ****ing out. I am not sure how much is coming out while on plane as I cant really want to lean over the back of the boat to look. It is still under warranty. We were actually given the 7 year extended warranty when we bough it.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark View Post
I would replace the plugs then, assuming the fuel filter isn't blocked. you say you have ran it 3 seasons, was that model 3 yr 1st service?
It was just brought in for its first service yes, no problems up until now.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:05 AM

Was the fuel treated before winter storage. Sounds like varnish in the injectors.

Dodger.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:55 AM

Mine did something similar last year and the hose was crimped. Trolled about two hours and heading in at full throttle she died.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:38 AM

Check your fuel pick up in your gas tank. Plugged filter, crack in the line etc

Ive had very similar happen with my outboard and it was all related to the fuel line inside the gas tank.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:01 AM

I had something similar happen to me and i thought my motor was overheating at first.... it was smoking more, and then dying. Its an etec as well. A good check was that i was having problems getting the gas bulb to stiffen up when pumping it, so i knew it was having trouble getting gas, or the suction wasnt working properly - so a problem was the “seal” somewhere.

Im pretty sure that you are not getting enough gas either way, and so youre getting more oil which is causing the smoke. And then finally you dont have enough gas to keep it running up and it dies out after running full out.

I did a few things;

- Changed the gas line because it was potentially getting pinched and bent tight because of where my gas tank was sitting. Changed it to more flexible hose. Which also means i got a new fuel line connector as well.
- added an adapter to my gas tank to have hose connection come off at different angle.
- i messed around with the gas tank intake a little bit because i thought that maybe it wasnt getting suction properly - so i crazy glued the suction tube onto the gas tank connection point inside because it was loose(not sure if this was a great idea or not).

And since then it has stopped happening.

Good luck
Old 06-07-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
Was the fuel treated before winter storage. Sounds like varnish in the injectors.

Dodger.
Yes, there was only about 1/4 tank, put stabilizer in it, then filled the tank full before this trip.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagwan View Post
Mine did something similar last year and the hose was crimped. Trolled about two hours and heading in at full throttle she died.
This was the first thing I checked when it happened the first time.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:54 PM

Something in the tank that blocks the intake? Falls away when you slow down, gets sucked in again at full throttle?

I know my etec sled engine will shut down if it even senses things are getting hot? Can they scan codes on the outboard etec's?
Old 06-07-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Something in the tank that blocks the intake? Falls away when you slow down, gets sucked in again at full throttle?

I know my etec sled engine will shut down if it even senses things are getting hot? Can they scan codes on the outboard etec's?
Yes but they seem to be having issues with there diagnostic equipment right now as well....