Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-07-2018, 03:37 PM

Default white fish

I am wondering about how to target white fish in thesummer months? all the fishing I have done on many lakes that hold white fish i have never got one or seen one caught? Pinehurst, wolf, and all through that area.

Joe
Old 06-07-2018, 08:17 PM

I usually go with a little white jig just suspended off the bottom, tipped with a maggot (if regs allow), tactic I use for both Lake and Rocky on both Lakes/ponds and during the early summer. I find they like to hang out closer to shore near those rocky outcrops and rocky reefs to feed.

Tight lines
Old 06-07-2018, 08:25 PM

First 30-60min of daylight, they can be found cruising shallow sand bars and rocks. Chronomid/balanced leach/nymph under an indicator if flyfishing, or wire worm/maggot/worm under a thin slip float if spin casting.

You have to spot them and cast well ahead, so as they don’t see the float, and the hook gets down to where they are before they get there.

Also, you will sometimes see them feeding on the surface on calm evenings when there’s a mayfly or caddis hatch. Same setup will work, or try to match the size and color of what’s hatching.

Middle of the day, usually pointless. They are deep around the thermocline and not usually feeding. Can try to troll a small spoon or flatfish with inline weights and a very light drag if you suspect you are seeing them on sonar, but I don’t waste time with it.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:45 AM

3Blade is spot on with using flies or nymphs when the whites are in the shallows or on the surface.

Using hardware.... In summer on the Great Lakes people fish for whites in deep water with castmaster type lures. Using longer rods and give big 3 to 6 foot long jigging actions from the top to bottom of the water column. The whites pick up the fluttering lure when it's dropping.

I, myself, was trolling a 4 inch silver subsurface rapala in a canoe at Fickle Lake SW of Edson one late summer evening 30 years ago hoping to catch a big pike. I got a great hit that took a couple minutes to land and I netted an 8 lb. lake whitefish. I was amazed the big white hit the 4" rapala. A couple years later canoeing at Smoke Lake by Fox Creek I was trolling a 3" rapala and caught another big white towards evening. I'm not saying whites always bite rapalas but 2 big whites bite my rapalas. Coincidence? or maybe an overlooked lure?
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-08-2018, 04:33 AM

I like too use blood worms under a indicator (SJW)

the lake's out here are clear so sometimes you can sight fish them

if they are hunting as in lots of surface action .. I love seeing that !!

we were out this spring and got 12 in just over 1hr by anchoring

each lake will have those bays that the Whitefish are schooled

when you find them its fast and furious

patience is the key

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001_zps208798c0.jpg (81.2 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg 10450030_10152148564485776_3052119798404356829_o.jpg (40.1 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg 11265376_10152761713110776_7784290111146959518_o.jpg (37.9 KB, 110 views)