Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-09-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Do people feel they are somehow more sophisticated by calling a pickerel a walleye or a jackfish a northern pike when referring to a fish they caught in Alberta? Not once in my life have I ever referred to a pickerel or a jackfish while face to face with someone and had them say "A what?". But you get on the internet and all of a sudden everyone has to show you how smart they are and inform you they know the actual name of the fish you're using the slang term for. All the while preaching how they only catch and release. Except if fish is brain food, it would seem the guy keeping as many pickerel as the law will allow is obviously the smarter guy!

Rant over.

Fish is expensive to buy in the store but averages out to about $300/lb when you go catch it.
I'm finding a lot of the new C&R crowd are as pushy as the PETA anti/gun crowd. I'm meeting fisherfolk out there who not only tell you that they are C&R but in a manner that they expect you to adopt their practice while in their presence, very bizarre, and they keep drilling in their practice of C&R.

but I need to ask; how are you figuring $300 per pound?
Old 06-09-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capper View Post
I don’t eat fish and I know nothing about the price of Fish but I noticed an add In The paper today.
4- 6oz portions of pickerel $18.00
Catchoftheweekedmonton.com
Might be worth a look, I’m kinda curious where the pickerel would come from?
I bought some of their fish last fall. Tasted old and the fillets were not deboned in the true sense. Also previously frozen.
I also thought that I would have thrown the fish back based on size of them as well.
There was a native fellow and Asian Lady that seem to be running the place. The fish were definitely from Manitoba.
They have a flyer and website to check out if your inclined but it's far from fresh caught.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
I'm finding a lot of the new C&R crowd are as pushy as the PETA anti/gun crowd. I'm meeting fisherfolk out there who not only tell you that they are C&R but in a manner that they expect you to adopt their practice while in their presence, very bizarre, and they keep drilling in their practice of C&R.

but I need to ask; how are you figuring $300 per pound?
Rods, reels, tackle, license, gas for the boat, gas for the truck camp ground fees, hotel fees, then you can only catch a legal sized fish (mostly talking about Cold Lake) about once every three trips. 4lbs of fish you just spent $1200 trying to catch.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:53 AM

If jack fish are supposed to be called northern pike, then what do we call snakes, snot rockets, slime's, slough sharks? I think if someone calls them any of these names, we know their talking about pike.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Do people feel they are somehow more sophisticated by calling a pickerel a walleye or a jackfish a northern pike when referring to a fish they caught in Alberta? Not once in my life have I ever referred to a pickerel or a jackfish while face to face with someone and had them say "A what?". But you get on the internet and all of a sudden everyone has to show you how smart they are and inform you they know the actual name of the fish you're using the slang term for. All the while preaching how they only catch and release. Except if fish is brain food, it would seem the guy keeping as many pickerel as the law will allow is obviously the smarter guy!

Rant over.

Fish is expensive to buy in the store but averages out to about $300/lb when you go catch it.
That's a good rant! Hey man, social media is great for society. Just look at ComplainBook (aka Facebook).