Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-24-2011, 12:23 AM

Default are there still goldeyes in NSR nowaday?

are there still goldeyes in NSR nowaday? I don't have fly fishing gear, is there other way to catch them if any?
Old 09-24-2011, 02:26 AM
Gone Hunting

They are there, somewhere.

My favourite method for catching Goldeye is floating a worm 6 inches to a foot below a small bobber. I use the smallest hook I can buy, Goldeye have small mouths.

I also catch them on small spinners and spoons. The small Panther martens seem to work well. Or a small twister tail jig.

I have had my best luck late in the fall. After the ice starts to form along the banks.
I fish the Peace River but I'm sure the North Saskatchiwin would be no different when it comes to Goldeye.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:21 AM

Yup! Caught two smaller ones Thursday on a 2" yellow curlytail jig.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:33 AM

Me and my fishing partner catch goldeye/mooneyes quite regularily, we find that when we start to notice fish jumping or just coming up discretly to feed, thats when you should throw on a small spinner (Have caught them on almost all colors) and also small grubs. Try to keep your choice of lure between 1-2 feet below the surface, and if they're there, they will bite good luck.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:48 AM

They should be migrating downstream any day now.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
They should be migrating downstream any day now.
x2.............

heard the fishing is fantastic by N. Battleford
Old 09-24-2011, 04:26 PM

Default goldeye rigs along with others

Find a big huge fluffy white fly, and pull that behind a bobber, slip bubble works fine but so dose a regular bobber. Cast towards eddies and foam and stuff created by structure. Also a great spot on a cloudy overcast day is whitemud creek....

Second method is a bottom rig slip sink then a bead 16-24'' of leader snell hook and your choice of dew worm or small half smelt... will catch walleye aswell as goldeye pike etc.. best nsr rig...

Also try "kokanee9's" appropriately named "Kokanee9" rig.. 3 way swivel first swivel goes to ur main braid/mono bottom swivel add an elastic band and attach that to a Bent section of 4-8'' coat hangar, usually in a 'v' shape... second swivel goes to 14-24'' of light mono leader depending on depth and flow rate...tip with leaches, dew worms, half smelts will catch anything in the river...small half smelts work nice for goldeye also try floating jig heads sometimes help if ur dragging bottom and bringing up lots of salad

GL and be gentle on them when handeling, squeeze them barely at all and you will hear a kind of squelchy-squeal sound...good bye mr. swim bladder insta death for the poor guy..

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "