Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-24-2011, 11:31 AM

Default Are you happy with this?

Folks,

Been reviewing the Fish Conservation and Management Strategy 2011-2015 as requested by SRD. This review was requested by participants of the Provincial Roundtable on Fisheries.

I found this statement within the DRAFT document.

As a million + live in Calgary + another million in Edmonton + 1/3 of a million straight east and I live @ the apex of the triangle, it would appear that I get to speak on your behalf or if I want, only on my behalf and screw you. Good thing or bad?

The relevant statement is below. How would you modify it to have people who recreate in the Rocky area thoughts represented?

There should be public involvement and education in the conservation and management of Alberta’s fish populations.
What Does This Mean?
Greater public awareness and the involvement of a knowledgeable public in fisheries management are essential to increasing public support to recover and sustain aquatic habitats and fish populations. Public involvement will be incorporated into fisheries management using consistent and clearly understood
processes. Major initiatives will be announced in the Alberta Guide to Sportfishing Regulations one year before implementation. Public review will primarily occur at the local level, with additional input from the Alberta Fisheries Management Round Table. The final step is to seek Ministerial approval of proposed management changes.

regards,

Don
Old 11-24-2011, 01:02 PM

My concern here is what is meant by "Public review will primarily occur at the local level".

While I agree those that live close by a particular area certainly have a vested interest in that area, I would also say there a number of lakes etc. that I have fished every year for over 40 yrs and I would therefore say that I also have a vested interest in those areas and would like input, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I also don't understand who gets invited to give input. I have had a fishing licence and WIN card for over 30 yrs, therefore they have had my contact info, and have never been invited to any information session or to give input.

I would personally like to see more information and data be made web available. For instance, the netting data from the various lakes etc. that is collected. I'm not sure how you can expect informed and meaningful input if you only give those that attend the massaged data minutes before the discussions. From listening to those on this forum it is obvious that there are a large number of passionate, committed, and vested anglers out there who have the desire for a long term sustainable fishery in this province.

Regards

Cube
Old 11-24-2011, 01:32 PM

It's a meaningless happy-statement. Government always says they will consult, but it doesn't happen without an actual plan. What province-wide and local groups will be consulted? How? Will there be open houses to examine proposals before announcement? It's all BS until they specify.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
It's a meaningless happy-statement. Government always says they will consult, but it doesn't happen without an actual plan. What province-wide and local groups will be consulted? How? Will there be open houses to examine proposals before announcement? It's all BS until they specify.
Its a beam of light and I'll take the light everytime. I take from the post the Gov. may actually be willing now for a fisherman to hold the flashlight.
I want to hear more .........
Old 11-24-2011, 04:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Folks,

Been reviewing the Fish Conservation and Management Strategy 2011-2015 as requested by SRD. This review was requested by participants of the Provincial Roundtable on Fisheries.

I found this statement within the DRAFT document.

As a million + live in Calgary + another million in Edmonton + 1/3 of a million straight east and I live @ the apex of the triangle, it would appear that I get to speak on your behalf or if I want, only on my behalf and screw you. Good thing or bad?

The relevant statement is below. How would you modify it to have people who recreate in the Rocky area thoughts represented?

There should be public involvement and education in the conservation and management of Alberta’s fish populations.
What Does This Mean?
Greater public awareness and the involvement of a knowledgeable public in fisheries management are essential to increasing public support to recover and sustain aquatic habitats and fish populations. Public involvement will be incorporated into fisheries management using consistent and clearly understood
processes. Major initiatives will be announced in the Alberta Guide to Sportfishing Regulations one year before implementation. Public review will primarily occur at the local level, with additional input from the Alberta Fisheries Management Round Table. The final step is to seek Ministerial approval of proposed management changes.

regards,

Don

This is a most encouraging post, even the idea that the Gov. is going to allow some public involvement in the management of the fishery is the first big step. We may still have a long way to go but every journey starts with a single step.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Its a beam of light and I'll take the light everytime. I take from the post the Gov. may actually be willing now for a fisherman to hold the flashlight.
I want to hear more .........
X2
I think we should all be given surveys when we get our license, and make them available online as well .
And I speak for myself, as well as probably most members, when I say "Thank You" for the research and time some of you are putting in to improving our fisheries and keeping us informed, especially those of us who live in the boonies a long way from most of the SRD meetings.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-24-2011, 08:01 PM
Banned

The government does not give a darn about your opinions unless it goes to the Deputy Minister and his ADM to implement items.

Where do you start to make sure they care about your opinions?

You and bunch of buddies start working to unseat the local MLA. That means you have to make him or her look like a cow turd in front of the electorate.

And if you are too lazy too bad for you.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
The government does not give a darn about your opinions unless it goes to the Deputy Minister and his ADM to implement items.

Where do you start to make sure they care about your opinions?

You and bunch of buddies start working to unseat the local MLA. That means you have to make him or her look like a cow turd in front of the electorate.

And if you are too lazy too bad for you.

I admit im not bright enough to get a grasp of your post.
Clarify for the slow people, please and thank you
Old 11-24-2011, 10:39 PM

Default Roundtables

Guys/Gals,

I just posted this to the Travers Thread and expect that it might answer a lot of questions that some have here.

There are many questions. If you have them, please forward along to your local biologist. That way, when a local Roundtable is held, the biologist will be prepared to answer your questions. I, for one, don't like to be told when I ask something that I might have to wait till answer gets rooted out of the archives. Give the biologists a chance. Further, when I'm on the hot seat, I don't like to be blind-sided.

Further, as the population of Alberta grows, folks arriving bring both their knowledge and assumptions with them. They may not fit in Alberta's waters or thinking. But we all should be prepared to listen and learn.

Alberta Roundtables are held in local areas yearly and twice per year for the Province.
Folks attending local Roundtables, from my experience, may or may not represent an organized group.
Folks attending the Provincial Roundtable are generally affiliated with various organizations. I've seen folks there from the Walleye Trail, Trout Unlimited, Hook & Hackle club, Fishery Enhancement Society of Alberta, Alberta Fish and Game Assoc. [ usually have >5 persons there], Commercial Fishing Guys, Native Organizations and on and on. A broad group of folks.

Most of the folks attending the provincial Roundtable are not there as part of a single issue group as that seems better to be handled on a local or case by case basis. On the My Wild Alberta site there is a link to "Events" where I just found a SRD hosted meeting on fish and wildlife in the Manning area.
http://www.mywildalberta.com/Fishing/Default.aspx
http://www.mywildalberta.com/Events/Default.aspx

regards,

Don
Old 11-24-2011, 10:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Guys/Gals,

I just posted this to the Travers Thread and expect that it might answer a lot of questions that some have here.

There are many questions. If you have them, please forward along to your local biologist. That way, when a local Roundtable is held, the biologist will be prepared to answer your questions. I, for one, don't like to be told when I ask something that I might have to wait till answer gets rooted out of the archives. Give the biologists a chance. Further, when I'm on the hot seat, I don't like to be blind-sided.

Further, as the population of Alberta grows, folks arriving bring both their knowledge and assumptions with them. They may not fit in Alberta's waters or thinking. But we all should be prepared to listen and learn.

Alberta Roundtables are held in local areas yearly and twice per year for the Province.
Folks attending local Roundtables, from my experience, may or may not represent an organized group.
Folks attending the Provincial Roundtable are generally affiliated with various organizations. I've seen folks there from the Walleye Trail, Trout Unlimited, Hook & Hackle club, Fishery Enhancement Society of Alberta, Alberta Fish and Game Assoc. [ usually have >5 persons there], Commercial Fishing Guys, Native Organizations and on and on. A broad group of folks.

Most of the folks attending the provincial Roundtable are not there as part of a single issue group as that seems better to be handled on a local or case by case basis. On the My Wild Alberta site there is a link to "Events" where I just found a SRD hosted meeting on fish and wildlife in the Manning area.
http://www.mywildalberta.com/Fishing/Default.aspx
http://www.mywildalberta.com/Events/Default.aspx

regards,

Don
Thanks for the information and link Don its greatly appreciated.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
agreed
Old 11-25-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
x2
Old 11-25-2011, 12:15 PM

If you have a specific concern regarding a body of water were you feel changes should be made then you can get the change made.
I hear people complain or say nothing can be done ..that just is not true.
for example one person and then others joined in pushed to have changes made on Bolton creek in K country and then with the regs on K-lakes.
As a result of those efforts new regulations and are now and more will be in effect soon.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Its a beam of light and I'll take the light everytime.
You must be absolutely giddy at election time, with all those promises of how wonderful it will be when you elect party X. LOL

Sorry, just cynical when I hear platitudes without detail. Without details, the NDP can say they are highly respectful of taxpayers.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
You must be absolutely giddy at election time, with all those promises of how wonderful it will be when you elect party X. LOL

Sorry, just cynical when I hear platitudes without detail. Without details, the NDP can say they are highly respectful of taxpayers.
Refuse to join the Doom and Gloom club, its that club that clouds the light and makes progress slow.
Its like a stalker in your window blocking out the sun but then again you stick up for stalkers.
Sorry for the slight hi jack everyone, i wont respond again unless its related to the issue.

Thanks again DA for the great thread.