Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-17-2015, 10:42 PM

Default Are we supposed to feel sorry for the poacher now?

http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/TV%20S...ID/2659178472/

Even the anchor seems to make light of the situation saying "over a fish"

I'm sorry, but to outdoorsmen who actually care about fisheries, poaching is a very real issue!
Old 03-17-2015, 10:50 PM
Gone Hunting

Pathetic really.

He could try googling sympathy and see if he gets as many hits as the musky.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-18-2015, 07:07 AM
Banned

Poor Eddie. If he had said from the beginning the fish was hooked deep and going to die, he might have got some sympathy. Instead he stated clearly that he kills every Musky that he can. No sympathy from me.
I do think it is pretty neat how many good and bad things we get to see now that almost everyone can take a pic. or video of something happening.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:44 AM
Banned

Default Political Correctness

Oh our nice perfect world of Political Correctness brought into our living rooms by the media, were everyone deserves a trophy and where everyone is a good person.

The nice host of the show says he was mouthing off, I call what he said quote “Deader then a doornail, every one of them” a Full and Public Confession.

Now Eddie is in spin mode saying he did the fish a favor, because it would have died anyway, wonder where he got his degree in marine biology?

In any case I for one am happy that he got outted, who knows how many more beautiful Muskies would have been killed by this moron? OPPS I called Eddie a moron, and that is not politically correct, my bad

So some people have made jokes of him and ridiculed him on open forums, sorry I have no sympathy for Eddie. I do feel sorry for every Muskie that came across his path though.

Last edited by edmhunter; 03-18-2015 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:37 AM

Default Nothing to do with the crime

The report has nothing to do with the crime, but with social media and public shaming. I am sure we can all agree that the cries on social media to pursue and criminally charge the guy with his crime are valid, but death threats and threats of violence are ridiculous. This is the new form of online bullying.......similar to the online bullying everyone of our children are or will be subject too, if they buy into the whole online social media fad. Personally, I will keep my kid off facebook etc. for as long as possible to protect him, and viciously punish any of this vitriol and venom if I ever catch him spewing it. There is many a parent of a child who has committed suicide over endless attacks from these keyboard hero's/idiots who I am sure wished the parents of the children who did it to their child were more involved with monitoring what their kids are doing and saying online.

Bottom line, how many of us really know what our kids/associates are saying and doing on line........... I can tell you now that if any of my buddies came up to me bragging about how they sent such and such poacher a message saying they should be dead etc. they would quickly fall off of my associates list................................

Old 03-18-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota369 View Post
The report has nothing to do with the crime, but with social media and public shaming. I am sure we can all agree that the cries on social media to pursue and criminally charge the guy with his crime are valid, but death threats and threats of violence are ridiculous. This is the new form of online bullying.......similar to the online bullying everyone of our children are or will be subject too, if they buy into the whole online social media fad. Personally, I will keep my kid off facebook etc. for as long as possible to protect him, and viciously punish any of this vitriol and venom if I ever catch him spewing it. There is many a parent of a child who has committed suicide over endless attacks from these keyboard hero's/idiots who I am sure wished the parents of the children who did it to their child were more involved with monitoring what their kids are doing and saying online.

Bottom line, how many of us really know what our kids/associates are saying and doing on line........... I can tell you now that if any of my buddies came up to me bragging about how they sent such and such poacher a message saying they should be dead etc. they would quickly fall off of my associates list................................

Some good points. Social media has given a medium to weak cowards that could never be so forthcoming in real life for fear of losing all their teeth. Teaching our kids the joys of turning the damn thing off and getting outside has never been more important.

Give respect, get respect...and dont feed the trolls. life goes on.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:50 AM

I think they should have collected the dead musky as evidence, held it until the trial was over....and I "feel sorry" they didn't make him eat every last bite of the fish when the trial was over.

That would be poetic justice

LC
Old 03-18-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota369 View Post

Well said. Editorial had nothing to do with the crime but with the public shaming Eddy is receiving including death threats.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:03 AM

This is an interesting subject/ If Eddie were caught by F&W he would have been fined and lost the right to fish for 2 years and that would be it.

But being captured on video were do you draw the line. The person who filmed it could have taken it to F&W as evidence as he did and left it at that. He most likely posted it as Eddie was an ***** and mouthed off so the witness taught him a lesson by posting.

The thing is the media has become a very strong tool. The members here post pic's & videos of their outings and is to share with other outdoor members.

Now what if some wing nut seeing this video and decides something needs to be done, tracks Eddie down and harms him. Would there be responsibility on the poster of this video?

The ability for media to turn everyone's life transparent may be something to be concerned about.

Yes Eddie killed a fish, was, caught, fined, and suspended. Personally I think that is enough. Remember we all have bad days and may do something stupid that we regret later. But if it makes the internet it's there forever. Then millions of people get to access it and manipulate it's contents.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:03 AM

Right here on these forums I was a subject and attacked, my gf found a dead deer head, brought it home, it was latter tracked backed to us through social media, and next thing you know, Were a couple of douche bags, someone should come to my house and feed me a knuckle sandwich lol ect. These comments weren't coming from the guy who lost the deer rack but rather keyboard warriors letting lose behind a computer screen. I ended up returning the rack back to buddy and he ended up being super cool and we chatted for a while about the out doors, nice guy! Even gave us a bottle of grey goose for returning it! But the key board warriors were in full force attacking me n the GF, didn't bother me to much, but my GF got quite upset over it, it bothered her a lot. People need to realize that words can hurt, yet they shame someone online not really knowing them and have no idea how that person is affected, they just move along like it was no big deal.

That being said, in regards to the musky video, I have a hard time feeling sorry for him, he deserves to feel ashamed. Death threats are a little much, but considering what he said when he was confronted and how he said it, he wasn't sorry, he could of cared less. Betcha he wouldn't be saying sorry today if he wasn't caught on video !

We take these risks in life, not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us. Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams. - No Fear

http://youtu.be/3JbTBYk7xII

http://youtu.be/Ujl2kz1M8y8
Old 03-18-2015, 12:53 PM

Glad he was filmed.

Glad he was charged.

Glad he was fined.

Glad he was suspended.

I don't feel sorry for him for being charged, fined, suspended.

I do think he's a douche.

I do think that the hubub our friends at the CBC are making are making him look like a cute and cuddly victim and looking past his offence. Surely there were better examples that they could have cited than this to prove their point about cyber bullying. Kids are bullied every day for reasons like what they look like or the clothes they wear or what they believe in. Those are more fitting examples than this.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:14 PM

I like the fact that he was shamed and everyone knows that this idiot killed a fish and probably a whole lot more just for the hell of it. I do not agree with the keyboard heros threatening his life, social media has its good points and obviously its downside.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:59 AM

Makes everyone stop and think before they do. I agree with most if not all on this site. Glad he was caught filmed humiliated and I bet he won't do it again. I think death threats are way over the line. If in fact he felt the fish would have died which I don't believe he did you do what I believe the law says. Release the fish. I have released fish deeply hooked that I don't think lived but I also have caught pike with a Gill hanging out of there gill plate that some how healed so I guess you just never know. Let the fish go hope for the best and do what you can to avoid hooking fish deep.