Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-27-2018, 11:01 PM

Default Intext Mariner 4 modified to a drift boat, boat cost less than $400

Check out the modification on this inexpensive inflatable boat. Please provide any suggestions on how I could improvement it.

https://youtu.be/dosULGt32Kw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F3199392-E192-4ED3-99CE-9095F7901A61.jpg (42.5 KB, 240 views)
Old 05-28-2018, 10:28 AM

What a sweet looking ride. Would have to go on a voyage to pin point finer details. From what I've seen from pic's on here ya might want to take some hints and advise from the Kayak ones on this forum. RAVYAK has quite the set up and knows how to catch some big fish from it
Old 06-01-2018, 03:28 PM

So are you saying this entire setup including boat was under $400??
Old 06-02-2018, 08:11 PM

I was looking into these a while ago there's actually forums out there filled with mods for these. Plans for plywood floors with seats bolted in, storage boxes, trolling motors even sun visors lol.

Very cool little boats.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotChili View Post
So are you saying this entire setup including boat was under $400??
I got the boat on sale for $350 and the motor mount for $25. I already had the other accessories from others one man boats I already owned.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms View Post
I got the boat on sale for $350 and the motor mount for $25. I already had the other accessories from others one man boats I already owned.
Would be interested in hearing where you bought this from...for that price i would be tempted to jump on one...
Old 06-04-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms View Post
motor mount for $25
Cheapest, most effective motor mount I ever installed on my old tinner was a heavy duty plastic cutting board from Superstore. Will never rot or fade. Simply had to drill a couple of hole for the bolts.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:29 PM

Nice setup! Have you used it already? Also, have you tried it on a lake, and how did it go?

I built a similar rig last year with a 12-foot intex "excursion 5" to take out on lakes. I built a 3-part folding plywood floor with outdoor carpeting, bought the motor mount and added a 55lb minnkota trolling motor. (yes, that is a milk crate as a seat) Good Idea on using the motor mount as an anchor point!

I found the vinyl does NOT like cold water. It becomes stiff and brittle after pulling out of an alberta lake - hard to fold back up and easy to split a seam & cause an air leak.

I used mine a couple times then switched to a canoe. I've still got it if anyone is interested...it'd be a great river-drifter after I patch the seam.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boat.jpg (97.9 KB, 54 views)
Old 06-04-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Would be interested in hearing where you bought this from...for that price i would be tempted to jump on one...
The boat was on sale at Cabelas and I got the motor mount on Amazon.ca
Old 06-04-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerless View Post
Nice setup! Have you used it already? Also, have you tried it on a lake, and how did it go?

I built a similar rig last year with a 12-foot intex "excursion 5" to take out on lakes. I built a 3-part folding plywood floor with outdoor carpeting, bought the motor mount and added a 55lb minnkota trolling motor. (yes, that is a milk crate as a seat) Good Idea on using the motor mount as an anchor point!

I found the vinyl does NOT like cold water. It becomes stiff and brittle after pulling out of an alberta lake - hard to fold back up and easy to split a seam & cause an air leak.

I used mine a couple times then switched to a canoe. I've still got it if anyone is interested...it'd be a great river-drifter after I patch the seam.

I’ve only used the Mariner on rivers and it is great. The Mariner is build similar to a white water raft is it more durable and rigid than an Excursion.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
you just missed the sale at Cabela's, a couple weeks ago they were on for $350. and a few weeks before that it was regular price but you got a $250 trolling motor.

You can buy the motor mount and Cabela's as well, I think they are about $50.00
Old 06-05-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderek View Post
you just missed the sale at Cabela's, a couple weeks ago they were on for $350. and a few weeks before that it was regular price but you got a $250 trolling motor.

You can buy the motor mount and Cabela's as well, I think they are about $50.00
Just bought one for my son and found it in the bargain bin at cabellas, $340
Set it up and looks ok.
May put in the River tommoro and try it out.
First thought would be longer, stronger oars....but will wait and see.
I think it's good value for what we paid.