Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-17-2016, 10:30 AM

Default gull mayhem

The last couple days out has been crazy good, but running out of bait by 9 am I guess can be a good problem but with a full week left out here it's going to get expensive.pike,walleye perch and even a few whites,everything is working well,spinner rigs, cranks,and white Mr twisters whether I'm trolling or drift jigging does not seem to matter.The boy had a blast this morning as we couldn't even relax for 10 min it's been fish after fish.Took a few pics for those that are interested. Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160717_091145.jpg (41.9 KB, 640 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160717_081547.jpg (50.8 KB, 560 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160717_081244.jpg (49.4 KB, 528 views)
Old 07-17-2016, 10:33 AM

Thanks for sharing. Nothing is better than being on the water with your kids and they are having a blast.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:35 PM

Damn cool! That sounds like a blast. Great post. Congrats.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:04 PM

Nice pics.

Save your bait money. With all the rain we've had the earthworms are close to the surface. You can troll or cast a worm on a jig. I was casting a big twin tail jig with a earthworm on it and caught some of my biggest perch to date. Walleye love worms too.

Also, if you have any keeper fish, take a strip of skin off of it 1/2 inch wide and 3 or 4 inches long. Use this as bait on a jig. Great action and very durable. Legal too.

From the regs...
"Parts of Game Fish. Only the skin, fins, eyes and dead eggs of game fish may be used as bait, provided these fish were lawfully caught by angling. Skin, fins, eyes and dead eggs of game fish may be used where the use of bait fish is prohibited, but cannot be used where bait bans are in effect. All game fish kept must be counted in the daily catch limit, including any fish from which parts are used for bait."
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-17-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Nice pics.

Save your bait money. With all the rain we've had the earthworms are close to the surface. You can troll or cast a worm on a jig. I was casting a big twin tail jig with a earthworm on it and caught some of my biggest perch to date. Walleye love worms too.

Also, if you have any keeper fish, take a strip of skin off of it 1/2 inch wide and 3 or 4 inches long. Use this as bait on a jig. Great action and very durable. Legal too.

From the regs...
"Parts of Game Fish. Only the skin, fins, eyes and dead eggs of game fish may be used as bait, provided these fish were lawfully caught by angling. Skin, fins, eyes and dead eggs of game fish may be used where the use of bait fish is prohibited, but cannot be used where bait bans are in effect. All game fish kept must be counted in the daily catch limit, including any fish from which parts are used for bait."
Thanks for the tip will definitely look at doing the fish skin sometime never thought of that, I've tried fish eyes in the past but not skin. Cool thanks
Old 07-17-2016, 04:19 PM

Default little more info

what part of the lake were you in/at and what depth were you fishing at ... cheers doyle
Old 07-17-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle hansen View Post
what part of the lake were you in/at and what depth were you fishing at ... cheers doyle
Want them to catch them. Clean them. And deliver them to your house as well?
Old 07-17-2016, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Want them to catch them. Clean them. And deliver them to your house as well?
This from a guy that gave all the hot spots
in Southern Alberta reservoirs.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Adams View Post
Well said Brian, I do agree with you.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:11 PM

Nice catchin !
Old 07-17-2016, 07:17 PM

I was out today not at Gull but the bite was one big time must have got 30 Wallies and wifey even was catching big time, oh and no bait needed.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Adams View Post
Show me where i gave out any spots at all? I said how lakes have been fishing that were asked about.

If i give a person a spot to try and help them out it is a well known spot already.

If you think southern reservoirs are a hidden secret for walleyes you guys are dreaming.

Just because a lake is mentioned doesnt mean people are going to catch anything. You still have to hunt down active fish and put what they want in front of them.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean View Post
Well said Brian, I do agree with you.
Says the guy who was punted from the walleye trail for spouting off.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:52 PM

Ya was hot today as well! Untill we got chased off by lightning. My 4 year old was doing good dead sticking with his little dock demon rod even! Lol
Old 07-17-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Says the guy who was punted from the walleye trail for spouting off.
And i was telling the truth and that is why biologist Terry Clayton was relieved of his position of as biologist in Lethbridge, And the the truth does hurt does it not Nate i want to be a star.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean View Post
And i was telling the truth and that is why biologist Terry Clayton was relieved of his position of as biologist in Lethbridge, And the the truth does hurt does it not Nate i want to be a star.
Not looking to be a star at all. Just looking to return the favor of.people helping me out when i first started fishing. I rarely post online anymore but when i do it is to help people out.

Its not like im giving out exact spots so you dont have to get your shorts in a knot.

Im sure you and most other experienced anglers have handed out more information than i have ever posted online.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Not looking to be a star at all. Just looking to return the favor of.people helping me out when i first started fishing. I rarely post online anymore but when i do it is to help people out.

Its not like im giving out exact spots so you dont have to get your shorts in a knot.

Im sure you and most other experienced anglers have handed out more information than i have ever posted online.
Yea right, dream on.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:45 PM

Great job Marty - looks like some nice walleye there.

And ........ to address the public online disagreement - if a guy puts in his own time to dig for gold and decides to share his gold with others - it's his prerogative to do so.

I have spots and secrets I've shared and others I haven't ........ its up each person to take a moment and carefully assess the implications of giving up such information - and I'm confident Nate did that. If some of the spots he shared are common/local knowledge there is really little harm done.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:56 PM

Great fish!!
Oh darn I may of opened my mouth about pigeon lake just out from the provincial campground where all the boats are at the drop off where u can litterly catch hundreds of walleye a lot just like these a day and will run out of bait before u do fish lol, or that one time I talked about sylvan lake just out in front of the water slides and it's almost just as bad as pigeon for walleye! Oops lol lots of places that are exceptional for walleye around here and it will stay that way because of the zero retention and limited tag system so no worries
Old 07-20-2016, 03:38 PM

Default sorry for causing bad feelings

just for the record ... I have fished gull lake since 1967 ... I live in red deer ,,,, so when time is precious I always go to gull ... other wise my time is spent in the southern reservoirs where the walleyes are as big as any IN CANADA ...

I was only asking a curious question ... I know all the spots on the lake ... more curious about depth ...

gull lake is the lake that produces the BIGGEST WALLEYE between Calgary and Edmonton ... we have released many walleyes in excess of 10 pounds .... as far as my spots I have given all the info when asked ... and enjoy taking out the children of friends so they can enjoy the action as well ...

again my apologies for being out of line ... it certainly will not happen again ...

if anyone wants my spots on gull to catch fish of a life time just ask ... since I am one from the school that was taught the fishery in Alberta is our resource ... not some big secret ... it all on public land ...

this post is also not an attempt to created another 50 posts about all the upset that was caused by a real easy FISHING CONVERSATION ... where at, what on and how deep ... this is very common for normal (fisherman and fisherwomen) people to engage in this type of a fishing conversation

In closing ... this is one of the reasons ... people don't participate on the website and others ...

In closing ... I loss count of people that have come to my boat on (any) lake and asked my all these questions ... I have also given those people the lures that I use (walleye) free of charge with no strings attached ... often I encourage them to drop there anchor right beside us ...

I think I have said enough .... everyone have a great weekend ... and remember if you have a successful fishing weekend .... don't say where ... how many fish .... what you used ... what time of the day ... or how great your fish fry was .... because it appears no one wants to know any of that information ...haha

thank you doyle
Old 07-20-2016, 05:17 PM

Oh cool! I couldn't go to gull last weekend as my kids were invited to birthday party. Who is doing birthday party in such a great day!
Old 07-20-2016, 10:47 PM

I remember you from Pigeon lake DH-you were kind enough to help me out on a slow day I was having! You shared some info and even some of your tackle. Thank you for sharing!
Old 07-21-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle hansen View Post
In closing ... this is one of the reasons ... people don't participate on the website and others ...
Old 07-21-2016, 08:56 PM

Got into them on Tuesday! My. Niece got this 27"er, 7.14lbs, he had no dorsal fin!
Old 07-22-2016, 04:31 PM

Nice job Marty1.

And you are at the perfect spot on the lake as there is a nice drop off right there.

Keep it up!
Old 07-23-2016, 12:09 PM

Nice perspective and thanks DH.